Who is online? (44)

Discussion forum for user group: RufzXP Hints and Tips Group

Thread: Missing Letters!

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-22 05:25
Life is good!

As I now consistently get around 60+wpm, I would like to talk about something that has happened at around 50wpm.

I am only talking about RufzXP Callsign runs of 50 calls.

There has been on about 6 or so occassions where there are (2) missing letters in a suffix of a call. Almost all of my runs are done by reflex but lately messing around with F6 is causing a little difficulty and has become a nuisance now. It slows or stops my rhythm. I have been told to not use F6 in the past but used it once and now it has become a habit. I need to learn when to use it I believe.

Getting back to these two missing letters in the suffix of a call. I replay the call back in my head and I have typed XX#X just to have the program tell me that I had two errors and it was XX#XXX. When this first happened, it shocked me and I asked myself why? The letters have disappeared, they just are not there when I replay the call back in my head, no matter how many times I played it in my head before I typed it.

Possibly I was tired and was missing stuff so what I have done is once I noticed this happening, I stopped all of my cw activities for at least 24 hours and it resolves itself.

Anybody else notice this? Any explanation as to what is going on?

Craig, AH8DX
Administrator

Posted: 2010-08-09 23:00
> I have been told to not use F6 in the past but [...]

Just don't use it :-)

> The letters have disappeared, they just are not
> there when I replay the call back in my head,
> no matter how many times I played it in my head
> before I typed it.

The same happens to me, but more often with prefixes. I.e. I hear a call like WB6LQR and I am pretty sure it was W6LQR. Bad example maybe, because B and 6 are so similar; it does also happen with any other call.

Replaying a call in your head rarely improves things. I found out that it can sometimes be useful to identify a very long call, based on the database of calls in my head. But it's often very very misleading, because on replaying you "hear" what you want to hear.

Goran, YT7AW once told me, when RufzXP was brand new and we were competing for the first to break 200wpm, he started at that speed, heard a callsign, and was pretty sure that he copied it. In his excitement, and to reassure himself, he pressed F6 and was absolutely sure: It's [don't quote me on this, some YU7 call] YU7AU.

After he hit return he couldn't believe his eyes (and neither his ears, for that matter): The correct call was ...... YT7AW. His very own call sign!

Replaying a call in your mind can cause the same things that happen with your perception with optical illusions. Once you have (possibly without knowing it) made a decision of what you heard, you will hear it if you repeat it.

That one of the reasons why F6 is useless :-)

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2010-11-27 19:11
I think this does not happen in the brain but directly in the ears. We tune our ears on the sound we think it'll come next. It is possible to not only setup the gain but even harmonics or other features of sound.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.