Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: iambic or not?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-07-12 10:41
Hi,
I picked up learning cw again and got a nice Begali key. I started using the iambic squeezing. It changes keying just for some characters, which makes the process inconsistend somehow in my eyes. Also I am afraid that this technique might mess up my skills, since I am still learning.

Any thougts in this?

73 de Marc DL1MRD

Posted: 2013-07-18 18:34
OK, the king bear is ashamed in his hole. I try again with other text, because my by moderation bitbucketed text was not recorded at my QTH:

Sending Morse code

There are three possibilities:

1. With a straight key
2. with a Cootie key (sideswiper or double speed key)
3. With single paddle
4. With dual paddles

1. The antique way. Easiest to master, and there are people right now busy with making Morse code an unmaterial world heritage and hence protected under UNESCO.

So you can expect a rewarding fund when you demonstrate to master copy and sending code in the air with a straight key and copy by ear at least 20 wpm in order to keep the unmaterial heritage conserved.

2. A cootie key, that is a part of a one sided squeezed on a fixed base plate iron saw cutting blade that you can move to the right and to the left at the other end of it. The purpose is it always moving opposite the last movement, so left right left right and so on. Left you make a sending contact, right also. In that way you can

make dots and dashes. Advantage: A straight key requires for every dot and dash two movements: Down and Up. The

Cootie only one movement (left OR right) , That is the reason for he name "double speed key" Cootie prevents glass fist, by the right left movement, glass fist was the fore-go-er of the mouse-arm syndrome, in medical terms Carpal tunnel syndrome.

Three ways to key the Cootie:
a) ALWAYS left to right, right to left
b) start each letter left or on the same side
c) start characters starting with a dot left and with a dash right

I prefer the option c) because it matches the way you use paddles, and the character space is so large that obstructing the left right sequence at a letter space does not matter, and it is easier to learn because you don't have two ways to send a character but one, and it does least interfere with the movement patterns you use on single and dual paddles.

3. The first single paddle was the "bug" a mechanical device from Vibroplex corporation with logo the picture of some bug.
Firmly leftside pushed with the stonger thumb generates a sring of dots and right pushes just a contact closure,

so you have to make dashes piece by piece.

After that came the elbug. An electronic device that made dots on the thumb and a string of dashes on the fingerpush

4. Iambic keying with dual paddles, to be distinguised between iambic A and iambic B.

When you ask what will I do? The answer is: Just what is your proficiency goal.
Traditional sending with least effort to learn: straight key
Easy sending with above moderate speed: Cootie key
Easy sending from moderate to above average speeds: Iambic A or B
Real high speed sending: Single paddle, because the timing of iambic keying is more critical and hence the combination of top speed and iambic is hardly possible

Posted: 2013-11-05 15:01
Very helpful description on key types. I was wondering if a person starts on a straight key but would also like to later use Iambic dual paddles, because of a weak wrists, is it harder to learn another type of key after starting on a different type of key. Should I just pick one type and stick with it?

Posted: 2013-11-05 18:01
Lea said it all, and HST champions apparently concur. I decided to go for Iambic B, not because it is more efficient than A, but because it is found on most japanese rigs. An elmer gave me the recommendation to learn to give with the left hand, so that the right hand is free to write with a pen.

Posted: 2013-11-06 20:28
@PD0LDB - Wow, great explanation Lea!
@N2CW - I started with a Bencher-paddel because I was to bored in young ages to use a straight-key :-) For the licensing-exams we had to use a straight-key. But it is not a problem to change the key, even in between a QSO. I have many keys and use them all, because everyone got his own story. Best wishes and vy73

Posted: 2013-11-06 21:47
@Fritz- Thanks for sharing what worked for you. Good to know what worked for you. Since should not be a problem learning a different type of key I think I will try straight key first since there is a lot of support for slower speeds from SKCC group. Then later go for an Iambic key.

@Andreas- Great idea on learning the send code with the left hand so I have the right hand free to write. I will start that way. My goal is to someday head copy but that is a long long way off. HI

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $