Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (34)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Does anyone have a copy of Koch's thesis or the article?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-06-17 01:28
I would like to have a look at Koch's 1936 thesis:

Arbeitspsychologische Untersuchung der Tätigkeit bei der Aufnahme von Morsezeichen, zugleich ein neues Anlernverfahren für Funker"

Does anyone have a copy or know where I can download one in pdf format?

I would be happy to post selected passages (translated, naturally) after reading it.

As you may know, Australia has activated the Biosecurity Act because of the pandemic and is now totally sealed off (no one comes in, no one goes out) , so ordering a copy from a German library is not a real possibility.

Posted: 2020-06-17 12:57
I made a recherche at

German National Library
https://www.dnb.de/EN/Home/home_node.html

Katalog der Deutschen Nationalbibliothek
Suchergebnis - Suche nach: idn=570787017 - 17.06.20 12:02
Bücher 1 Link zu diesem Datensatz: http://d-nb.info/570787017 [http://d-nb.info/570787017]
Titel: Arbeitspsychologische Untersuchung der Tätigkeit bei der Aufnahme vom Morsezeichen : Zugl. e. neues Anlernverfahren f. Funker / Ludwig Koch
Person(en): Koch, Ludwig (Verfasser)
Verlag: Leipzig : J. A. Barth
Zeitliche Einordnung: Erscheinungsdatum: 1936
Umfang/Format: 70 S. : mit Abb. ; gr. 8
Hochschulschrift: Braunschweig, TeH., Diss.
Anmerkungen: Aus: Zeitschrift f. angew. Psychologie u. Charakterkunde. Bd 50, H. 1/2. 1936; Status nach VGG: vergriffen
Signatur: Di 1936 A 1309
Bereitstellung in Leipzig

Download is not possible, in my opinion, the download link is missing, you can only order paper copies
or go to Leipzig ;)

https://www.dnb.de/EN/Service/Hilfe/Kopienversand/hilfeKopienversand_node.html

Are you working at an university, perhaps you have other possibilities.

I did not find any pdf on the net, seems to be mission critical material.

Ruediger

Posted: 2020-06-17 13:06
Also not better:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/arbeitspsychologische-untersuchung-der-tatigkeit-bei-der-aufnahme-von-morsezeichen-zugleich-ein-neues-anlernverfahren-fur-funker/oclc/52666595

If you find a download source, please let me know

Ruediger

Posted: 2020-06-17 14:25
Thanks, I was aware of the two links. Will keep looking!

73, ID

Posted: 2020-06-17 15:47
Funny how little is known about Koch's original work, and how much is talked about.

Gerd.

Posted: 2020-06-17 18:00
df9ts:
Funny how little is known about Koch's original work, and how much is talked about.

Gerd.

I think everybody just moved on, lead by the US military from 1941.

Nowadays we look at discussions eg. in Pierpont - in which Koch's method is just one of a list of options.

This instance of interest is based on his exercise of 12wpm in 14 hours of training.

Always good to read the original source docs tho, but maybe not the best reason to learn German.

cb

Posted: 2020-06-17 18:18

Some people called:-

AGCW-DL Arbeitsgemeinschaft Telegrafie e.V.

https://www.agcw.de/index.php/en/

. . . reportedly included it as a .pdfon their 2003 CD

ref:-
https://www.qsl.net/df2ok/afu01a.htm

So if anyone knows DF2OK . . .

cb

Posted: 2020-06-17 19:23
cb:
Some people called:-

AGCW-DL Arbeitsgemeinschaft Telegrafie e.V.

. . . reportedly included it as a .pdfon their 2003 CD

ref:-
https://www.qsl.net/df2ok/afu01a.htm

So if anyone knows DF2OK . . .

cb

The link on this page to the CD is dead. The download area is for members only. Could you download?

[deleted]

Posted: 2020-06-17 19:34
There's a chance this copy has been destroyed. Look at the year: 1936. A lot of material from the Nazi period is no longer available. That there is an entry in a German library doesn't mean it actually exists. The proof is in the pudding: If anybody is in Germany, they could try to get a copy at their own uni library.

It might well turn out the Koch method is just a myth. It appears it was never translated, at least not officially, in English. Where and when did the notion of the Koch method trickle down into the ham-o-sphere?

Posted: 2020-06-17 19:51
df9ts:

Gerd.

my brother-in-law's father's work colleague heard....

I cannot find the original document, or I must buy paper copies from the National Library or travel to Leipzig or Karlsruhe.

There is room for modern digitization.

The internet seems to be carefully cleaned. Copyright may still apply. The term of protection in Germany is 70 years after the author's death.

The Koch method has the status of a ideology.

Posted: 2020-06-17 22:11
oc:
There's a chance this copy has been destroyed. Look at the year: 1936. A lot of material from the Nazi period is no longer available. That there is an entry in a German library doesn't mean it actually exists. The proof is in the pudding: If anybody is in Germany, they could try to get a copy at their own uni library.

It might well turn out the Koch method is just a myth. It appears it was never translated, at least not officially, in English. Where and when did the notion of the Koch method trickle down into the ham-o-sphere?

No, it will be there, but it could be, that it is a remota.

That means it is in the poison cabinet of the library. There are books and symbols in Germany, that are forbidden. You go up to 3 years to jail, if you use them.

For example there is a number code with 2 digits with the same number in the ham abbreviations, that is strictly forbidden in Germany.

oc:

It might well turn out the Koch method is just a myth.

A method, that is not documented and open to read has no value.

73 (allowed)
Ruediger

Posted: 2020-06-18 00:33
I have somewhere a copy of the original work.

Posted: 2020-06-18 01:51
Fabian very kindly sent me a pdf copy of Koch's article and I have his permission to redistribute it. If LCWO's interface allows it, I will be glad to send the pdf by email to anyone who is interested as I do feel it is a pity when a study is constantly being referred to and no one has actually read it.

Posted: 2020-06-18 11:17
ID:
Fabian very kindly sent me a pdf copy of Koch's article and I have his permission to redistribute it. If LCWO's interface allows it, I will be glad to send the pdf by email to anyone who is interested as I do feel it is a pity when a study is constantly being referred to and no one has actually read it.

Which language tho' ?

What do you think of it ( when you've had time to look of course )?

cb

Posted: 2020-06-22 20:42
Hi Chris,

it is in German. I had the opportunity to read it.

It is a scientific study. There is no reason to withhold these interested
readers. There are no forbidden signs or any political statements.

When learning the Morse code, there is an learning plateau from a speed of 50 chr/m.

To avoid this, the speed Morse code should be more than 60 chr/m, when learning.

Increasing the speed to 100 chr/m is not advisable. If you can copy 60 chr/min, the further speed increase is not difficult.

The learning process begins with 2 characters. After the characters have been learned, another character is added.
Automation is trained. A unit of meaning between sound image and letters is to be achieved.

In order not to disturb this process, the optical symbols for the Morse code must not be introduced at the beginning of the training.

The character (Gestaltwirkung) of the Morse sign can be supported by using different frequencies for dit and dah. The frequencies will be approximated again in the course of the training.

The behavior of students when teaching in the 1st and 2nd half-hour at a rate of 60 chr/min provides reliable information about whether a student is unsuitable. The distinction between medium and well-suited students can be made in the 3rd to 4th lesson.

------------

Some other points in the study.

The students were normal persons, such as students, craftsman and merchants,
no soldiers.

The practice sessions often had to be done after work when the people were already tired from the day's work

Difficult letters (p q x y z) should be placed at the beginning of the training.

The sequence of character is completely different from that, which is usually referred to as the Koch characters.

Only letters are taught, no numbers and special characters.

It appears that the sequences are fixed and do not permute. But I'm not sure.

lfcfl
fclef
clfcl
lefle
elefe

cfcll
lfclf
flfcl
fclfc
lfccf

kkcke
lkfck
elklf
lkkfl
felkf

There are 48 of these groups of letters with 5 x 5 letters each.

According to a study by Jost, the distribution of repetitions of the practice hours is very important. Between 3 days x 8 and 12 days x 2 repetitions, the 8 results there is the 8-fold learning effect! One should not exercise in the morning and in the afternoon of the same day for hours. Optimum is 2 x 30 min,
one session in the morning, one in the evening.

Posted: 2020-06-23 08:23
Thank you! I have still not had time to read the article with a lot piling up from work and was going to summarize the key points when I had.
Josts' point is (from Koch, p. 51):

"
Jost discovered:

. . .

For instance, 24 repetitions could be subdivivded as follows in different ways:

that the same numebr of repetitions had a far greater impact on behavior the more the repetitions were separated. In the the 3rd case, with an equal application, an 8-fold greater learning effect was attained over and against the first mode of subdivision and this merely through the mode of subdivisions".

Posted: 2020-06-23 08:36
Thank you for summarizing key points from the article!

I have still not had time to read through it with a lot piling up from work and was going to summarize the key points when I had.

You mentioned the important point Koch makes regarding frequency of training and I thought it might be helpful to translate it verbatim from German (Koch, p. 51):

"
So, for instance, Jost discovered:

"The more one separates the number of repetitions, time-wise, the faster one learns and the better one retains".

For instance, 24 repetitions could be subdivided as follows in different ways:

8 repetitions [/day] for 3 days

4 repetitions [/day] for 6 days

2 repetitions [/day] for 12 days

. . .

In the the 3rd case, with an equal application, an 8-fold greater learning effect was attained over and against the first mode of subdivision and this merely through the mode of subdivisions".

ID:

So, we can conclude that:

1. Time is required

2. Numerous short sessions a day do not work

Two sessions a day are optimal.

Posted: 2022-05-05 20:41
A copy of the original Koch paper is available here: The original Koch papers in German https://www.qrpforum.de/index.php?attachment/23748-kochdissertation-pdf/

An English Translation was done by K4RLC Bob - Long Island CW Club has a copy of it in their Dropbox. I'm going to ask Bob if I can post it on my Morse Archive at http://tiny.cc/n1ea/

N0HFF's chapter on Koch from "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy" is here:
http://www.zerobeat.net/tasrt/c29.htm

David N1EA

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.