Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (41)

Discussion forum for user group: English Speaking Users

Thread: Confusion: S vs H vs 5

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2016-01-05 08:20
I've finished all lessons on morse code (13wpm), but some characters still keep on bothering me -> S, H, 5. I nearly always confuse them, my ear can't distinguish them well, since I am trying to count the number of 'di's, but until I do this I miss the next letter and the whole thing is messed up. How can I stop counting 'di's, I rather do something to make my brain hear them on a effortless manner. I guess there's only one solution to this, practice, practice and more practice.. Anyone been there before?

Posted: 2016-01-20 23:09
Yes, going through it now. Also, I do Look Ahead. When what I'm expecting doesn't arrive, I have a mind-melt and miss 3-10 chars. Eg. I hear 'fig' and expect 'figs' but when I get 'figure,' it's mind-melt time. I'm trying to find a way to turn OFF my brain's Look Ahead feature.
Paul wa2enm

Posted: 2016-02-11 19:24
With regards to s,H and 5 it can be confusing when it comes at you all at once! The best way I can put it is after some time your brain picks up the rhythm of the sound.

Posted: 2016-02-11 19:25
Hello Paul, I too have done the very same thing and it's true it really throws you off. At certain speeds I find trying to figure out what is coming does help but other times when a curve comes your way it can be trouble.

Posted: 2016-04-04 14:12
After trying several patterns around Morse code learning, I have now structured my training like this: I've broken the lessons into 3 groups. Group 1: letters only, group 2: symbols only, group 3: numbers only.
I've realised that I can improve my CW skills much faster by focusing each time on one of these groups. Of course at the very end, I will join all these groups together, but until I become proficient to each one of them, I will remain on this teaching pattern.
In this way I feel that my CW skills improve much faster than trying to refine my CW usage by working around with all 40 characters at once. Of course I've been following each lesson as given nicely on this site, but for some reason I still feel that I have plenty of room for improvement.
Just my 2 cents, to share an idea in case anyone is stuck (or confused) with his/her Morse speed.

Posted: 2017-08-22 16:55
Try to turn down your WPM into a suitable level at first. When you can easily follow the speed, change another level till fluently enough.

Posted: 2017-10-09 19:23
A lot of people discount morsemachine, but I have started going through a full session every time I come aboard this site. All 40 lessons included, and speed at about 23. I know it does nothing to improve my speed, but I do feel that it has helped me somewhat with instant recognition of characters. What do you think...Bob

Posted: 2018-09-19 19:10
I agree with runn. e,i,s,h,5 is actually faster than any of the other letters, because they are shorter in duration. Slow down the character and effective speed until you seldom miss them. Then gradually raise them a little at a time. Accuracy is much better than speed at this point.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.