Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文
Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: confusing k and r

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2020-04-20 20:46
is anyone else having a hard time differentiation k and r? Seems i get it right only 50% of the time

Posted: 2020-04-21 00:46
you are going too fast, 120 exercises in 2 days,doing 5 lessond with accuracy 50 percent.

Rule is: go to next lesson when your score is over 90 %

Posted: 2020-04-21 05:31
i got that problem too. In my case the problem was - i used the optical memory...i started morse many years before, from paper and sigs :-(( that is a vy bad idea.

Posted: 2020-04-21 07:58
It's a common mistake at the beginning.

Based on Nonagenarian's data, you 're going way too fast for assimilation: you can fudge the 90% rule to a degree (I went once to the next lesson with 74% and once in the mid 80% but almost always had 92-93% before doing the next one).

Slow down, what's the rush?

Posted: 2020-04-21 09:14
199913:
is anyone else having a hard time differentiation k and r? Seems i get it right only 50% of the time

Good, so you aren't wasting your time = you are learning.

It's not just about learning the characters.

It's about recognising them automatically without thinking about it.

This comes from lots of repetetive repetition - so it takes time.

What were your aspirations for how long it would take you ?

Go too slow = waste some time.

Go too fast = it doesn't sink in. Start again or give up in frustration.

Stick with it.

good luck
cb

Posted: 2020-05-05 08:39
i am at lesson 9 and still confuse K and R at 30-40% of try....i repeat 10-12 times every lesson until now...i think is still a problem of exercising and many repeats..

Posted: 2020-05-05 09:59
If it's any consolation, I had a lot of trouble with "mirror" letters. I still do to a certain extent. L and F, G and W. Those must form 20% of my copying errors.

I'm guessing this is a hang-over from recognising morse characters visually rather than by their sound shape. The guys on here will know better than me.

Like most things to do with morse code, it gets better with practice. Lots of lovely practice.

Posted: 2020-05-19 20:13
When I first started hearing 'r' it got stuck in my head as the sound of the word 'potato' so I hear 'po-TAY-to'.

Now I don't often mix up r with other characters. Unfortunately I never got a sounds-like word for 'k'. I just know it is not a potato.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.