Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (25)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: exclamation mark

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-05-22 14:31
Exercising proverbs:

don't be sorry, be different!

The final exclamation mark is not received as [cm]
but as [üe] dididahdahdit.
Wikepedia under morse code yields also [cm]
(Can't type the greater and smaller than arrows due to html interpretation)

As expected it is coded as such in the text_to_ mp3 software used on this web site.

Further investigation: & is coded as es, and must be the prosign for wait.

The $ sign [sx] is missing (crossed S)

In the sourse of ebook2cw the '!'is coded as '.'
by:
else if (c == '!') { code = ".-.-.-";

Posted: 2010-05-22 18:29
Honestly, I sure wish I could help you out OM, with the exclamation point issue you are having but...

just into Callsign Training here and have difficulty in copying words as I want to insert numbers where there are none.

Craig, NU2E
Administrator

Posted: 2010-05-23 13:43
The current source of ebook2cw (v.0.7.0) defines ! as ··--· (in codedtables.h) based on my experience on the bands. So far I have only heard this used by Scandinavian stations, I guess it was part of the CW exams there. In the rest of the world, the exclamation mark seems to be unknown in Morse code.

By the way, arbitrary prosigns can be generated in the text2cw function by enclosing letters in angle brackets, i.e. to generate a dollar sign.

73, Fabian DJ1YFK
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-05-23 15:26
OK, tks

About the prosigns: you wrote in a previous thread #233, hence that's known stuff.

About the exclamation mark I recite:
[i]
There is no standard representation for the exclamation mark (!), although the KW digraph (-.-.--) was proposed in the 1980s by the Heathkit Company (a vendor of assembly kits for amateur radio equipment). While Morse code translation software prefers this version, on-air use is not yet universal as some amateur radio operators in Canada and the USA continue to prefer the older MN digraph (---.) carried over from American landline telegraphy code.

The &, $ and the _ signs are not defined inside the ITU recommendation on Morse code. The $ sign code was represented in the Phillips Code, a huge collection of abbreviations used on land line telegraphy, as SX. The representation of the &-sign given above is also the Morse prosign for wait.

On May 24, 2004-the 160th anniversary of the first public Morse telegraph transmission-the Radiocommunication Bureau of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU-R) formally added the @ ("commercial at" or "commat") character to the official Morse character set, using the sequence denoted by the AC digraph (· - - · - ·). This sequence was reportedly chosen to represent "A[T] C[OMMERCIAL]" or a letter "a" inside a swirl represented by a "C".[8] The new character facilitates sending electronic mail addresses by Morse code and is notable since it is the first official addition to the Morse set of characters since World War I.
[/i]
Fine sofar, I am going te leave here the site,

Tired of respecting the people directing offences in my direction not offering the slightest excuse and after that just "trying to help" obviously without understanding the remarks.

Of the plain text exercises, I know now all the proverbs by head. I can just increase the speed 10 wpm and make the same reliability in copy, further exercising has no sense.

This remark directed to the guy that did two Koch exercises in 2 year and want to be cheered up in order te get motivated for another exercise the next year. So he kows that I did not quit here by lack of character but due to motivated change in exercising method, filling out plain text in the well known free program
"Just learn Morse Code" of LA3KB.

Tks sofar and 55

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.