Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (7)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: First QSO - please share experience

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-12-20 11:11
After four months of training I made my first contacts in CW yesterday and today. I must admit I used the reverse beacon network to identify stations calling CW slow enough to take a chance; most of the traffic on 40m is way too fast for me. The experience is both rewarding and frustrating. Rewarding because I technically achieved the goal I had fixed myself (first CW QSO four years after my very first QSO), and frustrating because I realize that full proficiency will require months of training, probably the entire year ahead.
I encounter a particular difficulty, and would like to know how you feel about it: I trained at 18/6 until lesson 40 and then pushed it up to 18/10, and I can copy on paper quite well if the Farnsworth timing is respected. When I request QRS QRS QRS in a QSO, people are courteous and slow down, but instead of leaving longer pauses between characters, they reduce speed altogether, and I cannot copy anymore unless I start to count dits, which LCWO does not teach. I am under the impression that unless I manage to significantly reduce the pause I need between characters I am not ready for air time. Another thing I noticed is that in a real QSO, I try to anticipate what comes next, and am unable to copy everything on paper, as learned on LCWO. What are your experiences?

Posted: 2013-12-20 18:27
Maybe, you train it, if you hear many QSO's, first.

vy 73
Alf
dh0gsa

Posted: 2013-12-21 09:56
Andreas,

Congrats to your QSOs!

For QRS nets frequencies/times you may want to ask UFT or AGCW. For example see http://www.qrpforum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8010&pageNo=11 - every Tuesday 20:00 on 3556.

As Alf suggest listening on the band helps. WEBSDR may be worth a thought...

18/10 is effectively speed 10 wpm, and under stress your speed may lower... can you reliably decode 10/10?

Gerd.

Posted: 2013-12-21 10:40
No, he can't Gerd. People attending the course lessons learn distorted Morse code here with speed n/m with n not equal m,

Andreas:
I wrote here in the past: Go exercising Words. And repeat lesson 40 17/11 untill 90%, after that
16/12 , 15/13. 14/14 (Estimated proposal). Exacly: Relation for n and m in speed n/m such that the throughput (= transmitted characters per minute)keeps being the same.

Sometimes people with a bug slow down the way you prefer, by just inserting longer character spaces and keeping the adjustment of the bug unaltered.

One year is what it took me to increase my speed 5 wpm, by exercising on a daily basis with LCWO and mostly with JustLearnMorseCode.

I remember that K7QO has a Morse course available on CD, can be downloaded for free, and he mixes his lessons with a lot of QSO's of the rubber stamp type. With some rag chewing about occupation and age of operator.
As far as I know, he was and perhaps is responsable for the ARRL courses.

gd luck

Posted: 2013-12-22 07:49
It might be worth making use of the word and callsign training exercises on this site. They vary the speed, increasing it when you get one correct, and decreasing it when you make an error, so they may help you stretch the speed range you can cope with.

Posted: 2013-12-22 20:22
Lea is right, I cannot. I'll follow the advice and try to converge gradually to 14/14, or maybe just 13/13. People do not slow down the way I need them to slow down in order for me to copy 100% (i'm not saying it's their fault). More word exercises also sound appropriate. It's a long road ahead. Too bad novice bands no longer exist.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

Posted: 2013-12-23 10:06
Andreas,

good you aim at 14/14. While training you may want to check if you can do 10/10. This would be good enough to participate in QRS nets or - for example - the AGCW ZAP traffic.
Might be fun for you to be on the air while training and not just be with your PC.

BR

Gerd.

Posted: 2013-12-23 22:49
Gerd,
I'd really like that, but from all I see on 40m these days, there are mostly speed daemons out there. I see speeds above 30wpm all the time - as I see things, the fun part will have to wait. Please PM me about QRS nets, I don't know where to find them.

Andreas

Posted: 2013-12-26 13:28
In a sense, morse is like playing an online shooter. The group of regular players becomes so proficient, it becomes harder (nearly impossible) for newcomers to join. Luckily we have LCWO to help. The bar may be high but we can at least train without annoying people (except sending, I still need to find something for that).

I'm jealous of you Andreas, I hope to make a QSO on the bands in the future. [restarts lesson 33]

Cheers,
Rolf

Posted: 2013-12-26 18:36
I have tried to follow morse code on my transmitter, but it was almost impossible, even the slow sending was difficult to follow, wich is very irritating.
I thought i was doing quit well, but no, it seems like i did not.
For now i have stopped learning morse code, and i don't know if i will go on with it in the future.
Maybe it is not something for me to do.
I also haven't been listening to my tranmitter now for weeks, and i don't mis it for one moment.
But maybe in the future that i will go on with learning morse code, who knows ...

Posted: 2013-12-27 00:19
The fact that you can't follow a QSO does not mean that you did bad at practice. It's just hard, and there is room for improvement. That's how I re-motivated myself anyway :-)

Posted: 2013-12-27 00:42
PC1LH44:
I have tried to follow morse code on my transmitter, but it was almost impossible, even the slow sending was difficult to follow, wich is very irritating.
I thought i was doing quit well, but no, it seems like i did not.
For now i have stopped learning morse code, and i don't know if i will go on with it in the future.
Maybe it is not something for me to do.
I also haven't been listening to my tranmitter now for weeks, and i don't mis it for one moment.
But maybe in the future that i will go on with learning morse code, who knows ...

Kun je niet maken. Een Zeeuw!! Luctor et emergo.
Doorzetten jongen, maak de zeeuwen niet te schande.

Posted: 2013-12-27 11:27
Haha, ja sorry, mijn hoofd staat er even niet naar, maar wie weet komt het weer goed volgend jaar.
Voor nu even niet.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $