Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (7)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: lesson 4 the "dit"

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-07-19 21:39
I am at lesson number 4 and I am bit stuck with this one . The previous 3 lessons I have set the speed at 20/20 but now that there is letter e It seems like the speed is twice as fast. I can't catch up with it.

Should i slow it down a bit?

Posted: 2013-07-25 15:33
struggling, dropping to 20/10 for now. ;(

Posted: 2013-07-25 15:57
Just a matter of practice... After some time you start to hear the combinations of other letters with "e".

Posted: 2013-07-25 16:29
LCWO is a little unusual among Koch training programs in introducing E so early. It does make things more difficult.

Posted: 2013-07-25 18:55
Come on Rick,

Generations of telegraphist started in the past 100 years with eish5 and after that tmo0.

The e pushes the development of your mental buffer, you hardly can start that too early, and the eish5 was OK.

Posted: 2013-07-25 18:58
so it's different in other program? interesting, i thought Koch is standardized.

Posted: 2013-07-27 20:01
finally got a passing score for 'e' lesson. moving on. hurrah!

Posted: 2013-07-28 00:59
It takes a finite time to write a letter. At 15wpm I find there isn't time to write an e before the next letter sounds, and there isn't time to write a whole group in the space between groups either, and it's very easy just to not hear the e at all.

Posted: 2013-07-28 03:30
rafiks,
Remember that time the "E" is 3 times larger than the "T". So, the "T" appears which is faster. Actually it is not faster, it is 3 times longer.

Posted: 2013-07-28 11:19
Rick,

with a bit more patience you will develop a "buffer" in your head so you can listen to new characters before typing the previous one(s).

In the mean time if you can't type what you hear you may just have a too high speed selected for your current capabilities. Forget the wpm setting and choose a speed that you can handle.

Gerd.

Posted: 2013-07-28 23:00
Been working at it for over three years, and still havn't, as far as I can tell, developed this magic buffer folks talk so much about. Can catch single characters at 25wpm or more, but callsigns and signal reports at only a bit over 12wpm on a good day, and solid text never at anything much more than 7 or 8wpm.

If you take the standard word "PARIS" and work out how long it takes to send, and do the same for "EEEEE" you'll find you can send "EEEEE" twice in less time than you can send "PARIS". Silly extreme example, I know, but it shows that if E is over-represented in character groups then the groups will certainly seem to be coming at you at a higher effective word rate...

Posted: 2013-07-29 10:16
Rick,
same here. I am able to catch text or call signs with headcopy/buffer only at lower speed than when keyboardcopying directly.

Good news: pushing up speed pushes up buffer and headcopy speed and also solves the "E" problem.

Let's talk again in 3 years, I am sure you will be happy with your performance then if you keep on regular training ;-)

Gerd.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $