Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (14)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Do you use shorthand to copy?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-06-15 05:18
Hello friends, I was wondering if some of you use shorthand or symbols when copying? I find some traditional alphabets like "a" and "k" take too long to write and my hand cannot write fast enough.

Posted: 2013-06-15 19:42
If you're going to make a record of everything sent then you'll only ever copy as fast as you can write or type. If you're writing, use joined-up letters. Don't lift your pen from paper except at the end of a word. Don't dot Is or cross Ts til end of word. Use any tricks you can think of to get the letters written more quickly...

Posted: 2013-06-16 04:29
I find the keyboard faster. yeah,it sucks learning morse if one can't write fast enough.

Posted: 2013-06-27 08:31
hi ... i'm at lesson 3 .. i use the ipad keyboard... in your opinion is better to write down with a pen a paper?

Posted: 2013-06-27 16:35
For some folks, typing's good. Others prefer to write pen or pencil on paper, and then type in afterwards for checking. Try both, and use what works better for you.

Posted: 2013-06-27 23:39
Are you using a ballpoint pen? Pencils seem to drag and slow me down. Also try printing in all upper case with as few pen strokes as possible. That's the way army code school used to teach it.
Good luck and 73

Posted: 2013-06-29 22:04
The army writing method is quite good readable without uncertainties, however it limits the writing speed sincerely.

In army it is OK up to 17 wpm, above that speed they used a mill.

The fastest way to write is with a fountain pen, using small longhand characters, and a pretty small column in order to limit the time of "hand return/linefeed"

I manage to write running 40/40 in a still readable way. That is about the limit.

Above that speed you have to go over to some form of shorthand,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2XzxQT2CTU

Posted: 2013-06-30 17:26
I write on graph paper, one letter per square, and I find that helps for some reason.

Posted: 2013-07-04 00:17
Good point, Lea, although in the infantry intermediate speed radio course we didn't have typewriters. Passing was 18 wpm printed in all capitals. Can't imagine copying 40 by hand but may try longhand to help with my speed.

Monica, the graph paper sounds like a good idea. You can skip a square if you miss that character thus keeping proper sequence.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $