Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (23)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: My brain try to count the characters

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-06-15 03:51
My brain tends to count the characters in CW, trying to identify each signal. Despite my effort, I lose of rest of the text. How can I solv this problem?

Posted: 2013-06-15 19:37
I have no solutions; only ideas. We learn in different ways, and what works for some doesn't work for others.

Some say you should just listen to characters being sent too fast to count out. I find my brain is quite happy to chop a character into dots and dashes even if it's sent at 30+wpm, if it has time after the character to do so.

An alternative approach is never to have extra gaps. Always use a word-speed equal (or very close to) to the character speed; 15/15, or 20/20, never 20/15.

It may help to listen to a known text, so you know what character you're listening for next. Then, rather than trying to decode it, maybe you can just listen for the sound/rhythm of each character?

Just some ideas. Maybe they help. Maybe not.

Posted: 2013-06-16 04:26
i am also new to morse. From what I learned so far, I notice that listening and not doing any writing or typing helps. When I feel that I am confident enough I go ahead and try it out on the keyboard. I suck in writing it though.

Posted: 2013-06-19 21:00
This all gets better with excercise - my experience. Might take a little bit longer than you like.

Gerd.

Posted: 2013-06-20 18:06
I certainly find that my handwriting is rate-limiting (and keyboarding is no help). I'm currently sending at 20 wpm character speed and anywhere from 8 (starting a new lesson) to 18 (ready to move on) wpm effective speed. I also spend a little time listening to known common words to get whole-word rhythm because with my writing speed that's the only way I'll ever copy effectively at a high wpm. Finally, I spend a little time each day listening to "cq cq de (callsign callsign)". I have a key and oscillator that my dad gave me years ago and one of these days I'll haul it out and practice keying as well.

When I get behind the lesson groups, I just type one (or more) of the letters, space, and pick up on the next group. I get a lousy score for the group I skipped, but it gets me through the practice and helps a lot with lesson frustration.

Posted: 2013-06-27 23:49
I'm writing (actually printing) my characters and it helps if I'll at least put a dot or a dash where I miss a character. That way the ones I do copy will be scored because they are in the correct position.

Posted: 2013-07-03 22:22
I am listening and practicing sending at the same time. This helps me remember the code. I then will try and copy. Do some of you copy dot and dashes or the alphabet equivalent? Which is easier?

Posted: 2013-07-04 00:05
Rogerdodger:
I am listening and practicing sending at the same time. This helps me remember the code. I then will try and copy. Do some of you copy dot and dashes or the alphabet equivalent? Which is easier?

Definitely copy the alphabetical letters. Don't even think in terms of dots and dashes.

Posted: 2013-07-18 19:17
I thank all colleagues for the answers. God Bless.

Posted: 2013-07-18 22:50
Mark, throw tables and methods with dots and dashes. Do not think of dots and dashes. Delete from your mind the dots and dashes. Just think of short sound (dit) and long (diDÁ). Try the technique of copying letters backward, as follows: to copy the word "PARIS", to hear the SOUND of the letter P (diDADAdi) keep it in your head without typing it. When you hear the SOUND of the letter A SECOND (DIDA), type the letter P FIRST and SECOND store the letter A in the head, to hear the SOUND of the THIRD letter R (diDAdi), keep in mind the letter R and type the letter A SECOND and so forth. Over time you can delay the copy of two or more letters. From 25 PPM your brain starts working on SUBCONSIENTE LEVEL. WORDS AUTOMATICALLY begin to sprout on his head. The instructions of the program LCWO recommends a minimum speed of 15 PPM (poque below that the character loses its sound) But if you are having difficulty in 15, drop to 12, 10 or 08 PPM. Good luck and never give up

Posted: 2013-09-09 18:36
Obrigado PY2FCL - Chico pelas dicas. Atualmente somente o CW me estimula no radioamadorismo. Também tenho dificuldades em formar palavras no meu cérebro, mas vamos exercitando... a gente chega lá...73!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $