Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (23)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Feature Request: Smarter Koch learning

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2013-05-25 20:56
It seems to me that the Koch lessons send evenly distributed random characters of the selected set. I think this misaligns with reality in two ways:
1) The numbers and punctuations make up 1/3rd of the character set, but in real life they are used much less than that
2) The characters you already know don't have to be repeated that often. Time is better spent on characters you missed in the last lesson.

I propose to add:
1) an option to the Koch settings to have lcwo increase probability for letters which we wrong in the last lesson(s), and
2) a separate option to send characters with a realistic (english?) probability distribution (sends the E more often, and the ? less often)

Posted: 2013-05-26 14:17
It seems, yes, but they are actually not evenly distributed. Recent added characters are repeated more often. Read this forum and you find out about added features of this kind by DJ1YFK

Furthermore, the less used characters are longer in duration, so they are easier to copy.

The real problem turns out to be distinguishing reliable at high speed s h 5 and d b 6

Look for a demonstration of that fact to the AFAIK fastest (age independent) registered guy in the world for callsign copy at
www.rufzxp.net/movies/2012_rufzxp_ew8gs_270p.mp4
Login at www.rufzxp.net and click the link movies.

Remember you can always make your own lessons with ebook2CW (this website) or with the the program "Just learn Morse Code" of LB3KB (google)

As far as I can see it is important to go exercising with "words" on this website with the subset of characters you learned already.

Always exercise with what you want to learn. Are you a contest addict, exercise with Morserunner and Rufzxp, are you planning to be a rag chewer, which I think is more social human behavior, excercise with words, and ebooks.

Remember:there are just as much opinions as subscribers, but the result is what counts.

Posted: 2013-05-27 22:17
Thanks Lea. My target is rag-chew I guess, I want to be able to make at least 1 QSO with a decent speed (20wpm) and manners (no "pse rpt").

Maybe I also want to get the "morse included" on my license, who knows. Currently I am also fascinated to find out how my mind works and where my mind has degraded (short term memory is virtually non-existent, I blame all these devices which let you store or look up everything).

For now I've chosen to do word training like you suggested, I figured this would be a good move in my case, see my blog post on that at
http://rolfje.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/script-text-to-nato-spelling/

H and 5 are killing me, yes. B and 6 are not in my lessons yet but from early exploration I think those are going to be hard, too.

Posted: 2013-05-28 15:31
My experience is, that copy by head - which is in my opinion the only practical option for speeds above 40wpm, and easy daily use without creating paper mess at lower speeds, is copy by head.

In order to overcome your experienced problem with glueing together characters to words and sentences, best way IMHO is to exercise Words on this website, or with MP3 files and repeat each word up to the moment you are sure you copied it correct.

Furthermore don't increase the effective speed. but lower the character speed when you master all the characters.

So lower 20/10 slowly to 12/12 After that is done with a 100 exercises, increase your speed to 13/13 and so on to n/n with n a natural number.

That is to prevent that you are able to copy 30/n with n

Posted: 2013-05-28 15:36
part of msg was omitted :
My experience is, that copy by head - which is in my opinion the only practical option for speeds above 40wpm, and easy daily use

without creating paper mess at lower speeds, is copy by head.

In order to overcome your experienced problem with glueing together characters to words and sentences, best way IMHO is to

exercise Words on this website, or with MP3 files and repeat each word up to the moment you are sure you copied it correct.

Furthermore don't increase the effective speed. but lower the character speed when you master all the characters.

So lower 20/10 slowly to 12/12 After that is done with a 100 exercises, increase your speed to 13/13 and so on to n/n with n a

natural number.

That is to prevent that you are able to copy 30/n with n .LT. 30 and asking on the band pse QRS, but that doesn't help because n/m is

no Morse code for any n != m

Posted: 2013-05-31 21:07
I am doing it the other way around: 20/10 and now increasing to 20/11, 20/12 so that at lesson 40, I'll be at 20/20.

I am currently doing word training om 4 character words (full alphabet), and when I let it increase speed on each correct word, I don't have to repeat words until I reach 30wpm. I can get to 40wpm but then I need it to re-send the word once or twice.

But 40wpm is not the goal, that's just having fun.

The tactic I chose now is to let it send 3 letter words, copy it in my head and not start typing the word before I can speak it out loud. It feels like this helps, I've now switched to 5 letter words 20wpm, and will increase to 6, 7, 8 letter words.

When I try a Koch lesson now, it's still bad. Apparently there is a very big difference between random characters and words. Didn't expect that difference to be that big.

Ultimately I think I will be able to do both, it just needs practice and right now I am looking for a breakthrough.

Word training works for now, so I'll stick with that for a few days. Cheers!

Posted: 2013-06-01 19:32
Look likes you are on the right way.

I disagree however on the point of 20/n with exercising n upwards in the direction of 20.
Of course my personal opinion and experience.

I persist in the opinion that after lesson 40, u have to go over tot 12/12 and increase that speed. 15/15 is already perfect for ham radio. especially because it is the comfortable speed of a straight key.

That is because you don't learn Morse code, but something else which finally in the limit after a pretty long time approaches 20 wpm Morse code. When you copy 20/15 you have probably severe problems to copy 15/15 and even lower speed like 13/13 that is real Morse code.

That 20/20 goal prolongues (doubles?) the time you need to exercise in order to present your sigs on the band.

With 20/20 you are for sure a general exercised ham. Probably above average. When you approach 25 conversational, you are eligible for the "High Speed Club" However they also require courtesy and what have you, so I will for sure not be eligable for the coming 30 years for membership of the High Speed Club. Look at the website www.morsecode.nl of PA3BWK for more info.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $