Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (12)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Feature request: pause

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2013-05-06 12:12
Thanks to Fabian for this site and all the developers who make CW programmes or apps. You have helped me enormously.

There is but one fly in the ointment:

All the programs I know (G4FON, Morse Runner, LCWO) and possibly many of the more recent apps (I suspect) share a missing feature:

Adjustable pause length between words or groups.

Ever since Farnsworth we have it between characters, why not between words or groups?

Hence this is a formal request to Fabian to blaze the trail again with a "pause lenght" feature.

Or am I the only one who needs to reset the brain after a long word/group?

73, Peter

Posted: 2013-05-08 14:32
Aye, if you're going to work with faster code sent at a slower word speed then it'd be better to have most of the slowness introduced in the gaps between words. At least that way you have to catch the letters in one go.

Personally, I found Farnsworth thoroughly counterproductive.
[deleted]

Posted: 2013-05-08 15:41
Exactly.
Nicely paraphrased.
Tnx, 73, Peter

Posted: 2013-05-10 16:12
Exercise with plain text. That is the way you are going to use it. Not random characters and no strange spacings.

They are only for championships in order to prevent language advantage.

Wide spacings are introduced only for a learning phase, in order to recognise sounds and to prevent counting of dots.

So exercise random words with normal spacing, after finishing lesson 40 20/10 with 10 wpm. Wide word spacing has not any sense because you have to read the words just like you read a sequence of letters in a book. After finishing the word you know it (or not) and it is strictly prohibited to replay it in your mind in order to find out what is was. So wide word spacing, that allows you to do that, is contra-productive.

Make a file with plain text words, separated by returns, put it in Just Learn Morse Code, and it plays the words random regular separated. That is just what you need.

May be helpful to to double double each each word word for for a a short short period period.

[deleted]

Posted: 2013-05-14 09:41
Lea, tnx and rgr.

I´m afraid the basis of my request might get lost in off topic confusion. Well intended, but besides the point.

My concern is not the learning phase, it is speed proficiency with plain text words and groups (ie call signs, Q groups, cw abbreviations).

As Rick said, my concern is to catch the word/group in one go at high effective speed and sometimes I need a little more time before the next one comes along.

Precisely as you say: ... "in order to recognise sounds (as an entity) and to prevent counting of dots (and dashes and letters)."

If wide word spacing were contra-productive, by the same token the whole Koch approach would be contraproductive. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Also, workarounds with doubled words etc are besides my point: adjustable word spacing, plain and simple.

73, Peter

Posted: 2013-05-16 23:52
Adjustable word spacing in a range > then 7 dits, has no sense. When you are able to copy a word by just reading the sound of the characters, you know (copied) the word, and often you can forecast the next word in plain text.

When you are able to read a word by normal character spacing, you don't need Koch anymore.

It is wrong to think that you can introduce Koch again for wordspacing. becauae you read a word or you didn,t , forget about it and over to the next word. NO extra spacings between words.

There is a huge difference between wide character spacing in a learning phase and normal spaced words and wide word spacing in a learning phase.

The last is contra productive because you have to listen real time and not to think about the missed past.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $