Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (17)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: cant copy strings of letters - some tests

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-11-16 13:00
Hi All,

I have struggled with morse on and off for quite a number of years and have come to the conclusion that the Koch method is not helping me get significantly faster.

I actually copy off-air morse better than I do random chars, and then oddly at a higher speed than I usually practice at.

Having done some tests I now have a better idea why, and possibly what to do about it.

The simple answer is that when we talk we dont hear individual letters we hear "words" - the sound of the word is recognised and then matched to a mental association of the sound of that word - not its individual letters.

Im guessing that some people are better at just accepting a sequence of apparently meaningless characters without looking for a recognised pattern than this at others, I however am terrible....

Ive just run up a quick test now - taking a random dictionary word and flashing it up one letter at a time full screen on the PC at the same rate 20wpm morse would display the chars.

I struggle on about 60% of the words - even familiar ones and if you chuck in a few non-pronounceable things like callsigns, frequencies etc Im stumped.

I do however know all the individual characters flawlessly - I have 100% all the time on things like morse machine at 5pm where I have enough thinking time to just pluck random characters out of the air and hit a key - meaning I do recognise every single char as sent at reasonable speed. In the past this has been described as building a "look up table", but Im pretty convinced now its more than that - some of us really do need to hear the "words" and not the "letters".

So... my challenge now - and possibly one for Fabian too - is to find a way of catering for people like me who dont process non-pronounceable patterns well...

At present Im knocking up a quick android app for my phone that will play random "ham words, Q codes and CW abbreviations" one word at a time at ful 20:20 speed - then pause for a moment and used the text-to-speech voice synth system on the phone to say the word its just sent as morse.

Im hopeful that listening to that daily while doing other tasks will help me getting used to the rhythm of words, rather than letters. Im hoping this is the key I need to unlock faster CW and head copy.

Thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please?

Posted: 2012-11-17 00:12
if anyone else wants a copy of my phone app - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9owSJSVmZqVbWpfS1N6ellmNjQ its free to download and use. Source available upon request.

Posted: 2012-11-17 14:57
Just installed it. I love it!!!!

Posted: 2012-11-17 15:24
chrisw:
I do however know all the individual characters flawlessly - I have 100% all the time on things like morse machine at 5pm where I have enough thinking time

Yeah, I know that one too well. Presented with a stream of Morse, I end up catching the last letter of each word, as that's the character with enough time after it for me to think in...

chrisw:
some of us really do need to hear the "words" and not the "letters".

Yep. Certain words get through easily; 5NN, DE, TU and CQ, for example. I've heard them often enough that they're like single characters.

I'm sure a search of the forum would turn up more than one thread asking for the Koch lessons to work with words, codes and callsigns rather than random letters...

Posted: 2012-11-17 16:58
This website gives you the opportunity to exercise with WORDS , when you want: limited to the character set you learned in the Koch sequence used on this website.

Experiment with that, I have very good experience with words exercising. It enables you just to copy in your head and type it out after the word is completed. That is the shortest way to learn copy in your head, which is required when you copy at higher speeds, (mill copy has no sense in amateur radio, hw abt not having a mill during emergency communication?) and easy when you just listen on the bands. You even can limit the length of the words presented. My experience is that longer words are easier to copy.

I am tired to write here, because half of my on topic writings are lost due to moderation, when they (I suppose) obviously are not the opinion of the moderator.

So I say gb

Posted: 2012-11-18 12:10
Fabian already created the superb programm "ebook2cw". With that you can create your personal mp3-file at different speeds. A very nice way to improve your CW. http://fkurz.net/ham/
Good luck and have fun!

Posted: 2012-11-19 11:55
pd0ldb:
I am tired to write here, because half of my on topic writings are lost due to moderation, when they (I suppose) obviously are not the opinion of the moderator. So I say gb
Oh, I'm sorry to read that. Have you ask Fabian if your suggestions are real?

In any case nice to met you here. Keep well and fit. 73, Mike

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $