Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (33)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Sending Morse by tapping....?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-10-05 23:58
Hi all,
I have a general sort of question that only really applies to casual non-radio use of Morse.
How in the world do people send Morse code by tapping? That is, if I'm sending you a message by tapping on the table (or hitting my plate with my fork, like the Gilbreths did), I'll leave a longer space after the tap for a dah than I will for a dit, but how do you tell a dah from a dit-space? Do I just leave out the spaces? This has confused my ever since one of my friends tried to pencil-on-desk Morse-message me during the PSAT.
Thanks for any explanations! :)
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-10-06 21:40
Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJAlgfkDKro
2:35 trhru 3:03 It is not 100% correct; start and the M are two t's at fault, but it gives an impression.

Old telegraph machines, just write on a running paper stroke the dots and dashes with ink. Telegraphers however learned fast to copy from the sound of the attracking and releasing magnet. So the papermechanics were not used anymore for normal speeds, and a sounder was left over.

Point is that the attrack and release movements leave different sounds. You get used to that.

Posted: 2012-11-07 20:16
what he wanted to say is: unless you use one of those old telegraphs, its bound to fail with anything more complicated than "sos"

Posted: 2012-11-17 11:15
Some people use a such of encoding using only dits to send cw by tapping.
I think it is one tap for a dit and two taps for a dat. dit = . dat = ..
so, for example:
"it is" ==> . . .. . . .. .. ..

Of course, it is slower than standard as the spaces in midle of dits and dats and becuase the normal spaces must be longer.

Posted: 2012-11-18 21:11
well, this page is for real morse learners. so i am eager to get the myth out of the way that if you can morse, you can just tap on the table any normal message and it would be understood by someone...

..thats a bloody myth originated from bad movies. I am a pro, my dad is a pro - i am surrounded by pros in my life, i dont know a single navy operator who would suggest he could understand complex sentences by someone tapping around - in the same sound. The only exception i can imagine is the telegraph sounder that makes different sounds. You can never tell if you have a pause between words, or if the last "tap" was a dash such as a T,M,O or 4.... w/o a tone - there is no way to tell, aside from wild contextguessing.

Not saying impossible, but certainly not general skill of someone who does international morse.
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-11-19 00:59
The code in jail here is two consecutive sets of taps for a character or figure. Each of the two is 1 thru 6 taps long . first one one tap + second one 1 thru 6 taps is code for a thru f. First one two taps second one 1 thru 6 taps is g thru l. After the z comes 0 thru 9. That fills the available 36 codes.

Fellows order drugs, mobile telephones and so on via my laser Morse channel. That sometimes give a vehement quarrel when they think the numbers are ordered 1 thru 0 instead of 0 thru 9, so they order something else as they thought they did.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.