Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (10)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: qtc feature request

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-08-15 15:57
Hallo Fabian,

Congrats to the DL1A result. We tried to follow with DR5L but in vain ;-)

I would like to ask you for some improvements in QTC training:

1) In this year's WAE quite a few stations gave abbreviated time. This was a bit of a challenge for me especially if the call started with a number (QTC: 23 9A1A 001). Severel stations mixed 4digit times with 2 digit times (especially if they gave by hand).

How about putting short times and mixed short/long times into the LCWO QTC?

2) Also the CW pith in QTC training is fixed. I would very much like to be able to set pitch high/low in training. In the contest it seemed I was more comfortable copying QTC at high pitch so I would like to train a bit a low pitch..

3) Lastly in case of listening/copy mistakes I would really like to have an easy way to repeat the current QTC (at the moment I need to use the mouse to locate the player bar).
Ideally, hitting "?" (or any character of your choice) would repeat the current QTC and would confirm it

Gruss

Gerd.
Administrator

Posted: 2012-08-19 14:35
df9ts:
Congrats to the DL1A result. We tried to follow with DR5L but in vain ;-)

Thanks; we can say the same about us and DM6V :-)

df9ts:
I would like to ask you for some improvements in QTC training:

1) In this year's WAE quite a few stations gave abbreviated time. This was a bit of a challenge for me especially if the call started with a number (QTC: 23 9A1A 001). Severel stations mixed 4digit times with 2 digit times (especially if they gave by hand).

How about putting short times and mixed short/long times into the LCWO QTC?

I wonder if this would only make sense if the QTCs are actually in chronological order, or maybe without... mmh, I will think about it.

df9ts:
2) Also the CW pith in QTC training is fixed. I would very much like to be able to set pitch high/low in training. In the contest it seemed I was more comfortable copying QTC at high pitch so I would like to train a bit a low pitch..

The CW pitch as set in your CW settings is now used for the QTCs.

df9ts:
3) Lastly in case of listening/copy mistakes I would really like to have an easy way to repeat the current QTC (at the moment I need to use the mouse to locate the player bar).
Ideally, hitting "?" (or any character of your choice) would repeat the current QTC

This works now; pressing "?" at any time will repeat the current QTC or GRP/NR.

Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2012-08-19 18:57
Fabian,

Toll (gerade probiert). Vielen Dank!

Gerd.

Posted: 2012-08-22 16:34
Fabian,

My suggestion is to use user defined key instead "?". During a contest to send "?" the contest software use Function Key. For example the N1MM uses F7 to send the "?". Such feature would help to improve right skills.

Dariusz
Administrator

Posted: 2012-08-22 17:37
Hi Dariusz,

good points. When I initially implemented the QTC trainer, I didn't want to use the F-keys because using them appears to be quite problematic in some Web browsers (for good reasons; they are used for their own functions!), and that's why there was no repeat-function.

I did some research today on using F-keys in the browser, and it seems there's a viable solution, which has one drawback: I cannot keep it backwards compatible and use both F7 and ? without lots of additional work.

The reason is how key-handling in JavaScript works. So far I caught all events with a "keypress" event. But the F-keys are special, so they are only handled by "keydown" and "keyup" events. So I did that... and suddenly "?" wouldn't work any more.

Why? Because if I trace "keydown" events, I get one event for pressing "Shift", and one for pressing the "Special key" which (at least on US keyboards) is for "/" and "?".

OK, no big deal, I though: I only use this event if Shift is pressed. That worked OK on an US keyboard. On the German layout, / and ? are on different keys, and both need Shift to be pressed (yet in JavaScript they generate the same key code!). So there's no way of telling which key was pressed by using these events.

Long story short: The options are to use F7 (and F8 for good measure, since it is used by Win-Test) for repetition or ?, I cannot use both.

I guess there will be more votes in favor of the former solution, since it's more compatible to the real world.

Unless I get a strong objection from Gerd, I will switch it to F7/F8 tonight :-)

Fabian

(who learned something new about JavaScript key-handling today at http://unixpapa.com/js/key.html)

Posted: 2012-08-22 20:12
Fabian,

fine for me. The reason I proposed ? was I did not know F keys could be used.

Gerd/
Administrator

Posted: 2012-08-22 20:17
df9ts:
fine for me. The reason I proposed ? was I did not know F keys could be used.

Done.

Let me know if this does not work with any browsers.

Thanks,

Fabian

Posted: 2012-08-22 21:32
Fabian,

Just the job! Works perfect with FireFox on Ubuntu.

Thanks a lot

Dariusz

Posted: 2012-09-04 11:29
Fabian,

just noticed: When hitting F6 (by mistake) instead of F7 in Firefox the flow get's stuck with message popup "Pressing F7 turns Caret Browsing on or off..."

Gruss

Gerd.

Posted: 2018-07-03 07:50
Fabian,

How about having the QTC's in chronological order, that is time order, this would better simulate as they would arrive be in the WAE contest?

Great website by the way.

73 Dez, G3WW

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $