Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (11)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Finished the Koch lessons

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-08-09 06:18
Today I completed the last lesson, 40, with over 90% accuracy. So I'm done with the Koch course on the default 20/10 speed settings with 1 minute durations. It took me a total of 318 attempts from lesson 1 to 40, and I reached over 90% accuracy on each lesson before moving on. I started on June 27 and finished today, Aug 8. Tried to do some practice each day but missed some days deliberately to regroup or take a vacation.

I was not starting from scratch through, I had studied Morse and passed 5wpm about fifteen years ago when it was a requirement for HF. I never used it on the air and only recently started thinking about actually learning and using it. I also supplement my LCWO training with three PC programs: MorseRunner, G4FON, and Just Learn Morse Code.

In case you're wondering, nothing magical happens after you finish the Koch course. I still have a long way to go. But I have really improved since when I started on lesson 1 and I can manage slow CW QSOs now on the air and have 12 in the logbook. When I started the koch course I could not even do a slow QSO. But I need a ton more practice and will continue training to try and get the speed up. I also still need to write down every letter I hear on the air or I get totally lost. I hope to read CW in my head but that's still a far way off. Next, I may start the koch course over again at a significantly higher speed.

I wish everyone the best of luck. Just thought I'd share my experience so far, and I would like to hear from other people who are working at it and have other ideas for improving.

Posted: 2012-08-09 11:18
Congrats Andrew

Start with "words" fixed speed and copy the odd numered in your head. Push the repeat button till you are sure, repeat 2 additional times before typing it out. The even numbered words: copy them by pencil.

Posted: 2012-08-10 05:30
Congratulations! I just made it to lesson 20 today. It's been a personal policy only to listen to each test once and not advance until I've copied it once 100%. It's easy to zone out here and there so it takes awhile, but the added exposure to each new letter has really helped solidify them in my mind.

After I finish the Koch, I'm thinking about writing a script that takes a random headline from an XML feed and spits it out in morse. Sounds like it might make an interesting daily exercise, as well as break up the monotony of copying meaningless letters.

Posted: 2012-08-11 06:22
Lea, thanks for the tips, I will try that method for words and let you know how it goes.

David, congrats on making it to 20, you are half way there already. About the script for news headlines, check out http://aa9pw.com/morsecode/ cause I think that website has the same script implemented.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $