Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (16)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: why the =????

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-07-13 15:46
G4FON does not have = and neither does the ARRL list = as a morse character and also not several other places. Soooooo, why do we have an = morse character. It must be a valid morse character but I have not found it elsewhere, yet.
Even this site with 10 punctuations listed does not have =
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/morsecode.htm

Posted: 2012-07-13 16:11
It's the prosign BT used as new paragraph see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosigns_for_Morse_code

It's useful when you want to change topic in the middle of an over

Colin G8TMV

Posted: 2012-07-13 18:18
I agree. I do not think I will ever use it. I also feel I will never use /
Everything I can will be abbreviated.

I wish both of them were just gone. It is hard enough to learn with out these two signs.

Posted: 2012-07-14 03:33
You will use / when there is a portable or mobile station eg G4/VK4GH or VK4GH/M. At the moment I am just aiming to recognise call signs for basic "5x9" DX and contests, so I don't envisage using = either.

Posted: 2012-07-14 03:53
I agree, it messes me up and I expect I would never use it so I am struggling for nothing!

Dennis

Posted: 2012-07-14 05:48
How about if you want to tell some one in CW to go to lcwo.net/forum
:)

Posted: 2012-07-14 21:46
= is one of the most used characters in real life morse
as well as / If you ever want to go on air, you need to know these signs. In my part of the world we also have to deal with äöċ and u-umlaut ... i had to learn ( and ) as well as a symball that tells the operator to wait (interrogaty?) -> .-... very usefull to know, because on the band it might get thrown at you, followed by a moment of silence... and you would be confused...

...for "international" morse you reall require the characters / = - , . and .-... Thats the mininum. Sorry.

Posted: 2012-07-15 15:36
I used to be a radio officer in the Dutch Merchant Navy. The "=" was used in many cases. For example it was used as a sign between parts of a telegram, so between the address and the messagebody. But also in Weather messages where it was used to split the wx report in certain parts (e.g. different areas).
When sent by fist, the "=" usually had a longer dash so that it sounds nicer (daaaaah di di di dah). Many people used it also between sentences. So instead of "." they sent a "=".
Other example (maritime) where a coastal station sends a CQ message for the weatherforecast: CQ CQ de PCH nw wx up 421 = Here the "=" acts as an end of message sign ("AR").
So keep using the "=" especially when you use the straight key or a vibroplex. Just sounds better than a "." or a "AR", although the "AR" sent with a long first dash (di daaaaaah di dah dit) is also OK.
73 Arie PA3A

Posted: 2012-07-16 15:22
1. increase Characters setting to 40.
2. open up Setup
3. Click on Morse Character Setup Tab.
4. Click on Define
5. Click on New
6. Add = to Displayed Character
7. Add -...- to Code to Generate
8. Click on Finish
9. Now when you go back to the main screen, you can increase the number
of characters to 41.

You can add any character you want following these instructions.
Really like this program!

Posted: 2012-07-17 09:55
Thanks. What other characters which aren't covered by G4FON need to be learned?
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-07-17 12:40
lzlep:
Thanks. What other characters which aren't covered by G4FON need to be learned?

Depend on your objectives, find in Wiki "international Morse code" that is the basic requirement, but you can add special characters country dependent, for France, Germany and so on.
Hams of those countries appreciate that.

A real chalenge is Japanese Morse Code.
And when you are historical oriented, How about American Railway code?

Posted: 2012-07-17 21:58
Hi all: Well, "=" IS widely used in QSO's. As mentioned above, it is commonly used between thoughts, or when changing topics during your turn at conversation.

You can go to the practice QSO feature of www.aa9pw.com/morsecode and have it generate a make believe QSO and see how it is often used.

Better yet, listen to QSO's. You can find them at all speeds in the US on 40meters. Usually the slow cw is at 7.040 to 7.060 and up at 7.114. You can find cw at 5 wpm there. Or for fast cw, go down lower in the band, say 7.025 People will be ripping along very fast.

And don't be afraid to jump in and send a CQ in one of the slow areas at even 3 wpm....someone will slow down and answer you. It's great FUN! and then come back to lcwo.net to keep working on your speed. 73, Steve, K6GIG

Posted: 2012-07-18 00:18
K6GIG:
Better yet, listen to QSO's

The catch being if you don't know the character in the first place then your ears are going to try to make sense of it some other way, or else figure it's a mistake...

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $