Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (28)

Discussion forum for user group: QRP CW: Less Power, More Fun

Thread: CW only transceiver?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-07-11 13:16
Has anyone bought a CW only transceiver to encourage development of CW skills?

That's where I am. I enjoyed CW from my novice days, but I am very rusty on my CW abilities. So, I bought an Elecraft KX1 and now I am working on my CW skills. One of these days, my ability and equipment will match.
73 Jim

Posted: 2012-11-29 09:55
I just ordered the "PigRig" that was discussed on the "Flying Pig" group on FaceBook. I look forward to building it.

Posted: 2012-12-30 22:30
I just finished final construction of my Pig Rig this morning. It looks pretty good. Might consider finding a 30M transceiver kit soon. Would be nice if I could find a way to adapt the "Micro-Mountaineer" from QST magazine from 40M to 30M.

Incidentally, the Pig Rig is locked frequency. That means it is pretty set at 7030.7kHz.

Posted: 2014-06-11 03:09
Hi Christopher, it has been a while but thought I would check back and see how the Pig Rig is going? I got burnt out trying to achieve my 20/15 wpm goal, so I have scaled back to 20/5 and then will ramp up speed after I get thru lesson 40. Almost there, on lesson 39 now. Anyway the plan is get on the air and enjoy the ride to higher speeds via OPERATING on the air and practice.
73 Jim

Posted: 2017-11-28 15:39
I bought a LNR Precision MTR5B 5-Band Mountain Topper. I love it. Can't wait to use it on the air. I use it to practice code from ARRL. Hope to work you on the air soon.
KK4LBJ - Wayne

Posted: 2018-01-15 02:03
A special Hi to KK3LBJ. I also have a MTR5B, also an LD-11 from LNR. I also have a HB-1B Mk3 from Youkits, and a X1M Pro and a X108G "Outdoor" (the last 2 from Xiegu), so I am rather well equipped for QRP. The HB-1B is a little bigger (not much) than the MTR5B, but it has an internal lithium battery good for about 8 hours on a charge. As K1FUN commented, the MTR5B & the HB1B are CW only - the other 3 also do SSB & whatever the computer can do (PSK-31, etc.). I had to switch to QRP as I live in an apartment & have to use an indoor antenna. I got about 15' of 7/8" Heliax very cheap ($10.00), so I am planning on a magnetic loop to cover 10 thru 80. Incidentally, I have had my ticket since 1970, but almost no CW since 1975, & none since 1981, so you can imagine how rusty I am. My operating goes back to a home-built transmitter built out of a cannibalized ARC-5 TVI generator & an old TV set. I am in my mid 70's, so getting up to speed will take a while.
Gerry, VE4GKS

Posted: 2019-01-28 03:39
Does anybody have pics of their Pig Rig they can post? Intriguing name.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.