Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (27)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: speed is not 10 wpm but 13.33 wpm

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-06-24 22:56
10 words come out in 45 seconds, this is 13.3 wpm not 10 wpm. I have been using the g4fon program to learn cw and tried this site and I was doing very bad with simple letters until I realized that the speed was 13.3 NOT 10 wpm.
Has anyone else noticed that the words are coming out at 13.33 wpm not 10? 13.3 wpm is TOO FAST for learning the characters! I can head copy about half the letters at 13.3 but writing it down or typing it is MUCH harder. I think 10 wpm is the limit for word speed as you learn the characters. Is there any way to slow down the speed to 10 wpm?

Posted: 2012-06-25 12:54
All dots and dashes and spaces within characters that separate dots and dashes within characters are standard PARIS. That means dotmark duration is
6/(5*wpm) second.

Counting words has no sense, because the duration of a word is dependent on the characters.

same text same speed, G4FON and this site yield same time

Posted: 2012-06-26 05:59
the wpm is based upon 5 characters in a word.
I set all the words to 5 characters when I do a test. I did a direct comparison to G4FON and did not find the same speed

Posted: 2012-06-26 10:05
The effective WPM does depend on the text being sent, so for a direct comparison you'd have to make sure both programs were sending exactly the same text. However, LCWO and G4FON use different character progressions for Koch lessons, with LCWO introducing more shorter characters in early lessons. Shorter characters take less time to send. If there are more shorter characters in a lesson then the effective speed will seem faster. If you check the effective speed LCWO reports after each lesson you'll notice it varies quite a bit.

Also, G4FON has two different "Effective Speed" settings. I'm not sure which one is nearest to the one LCWO uses, but that might have something to do with the differences you're seeing.

Posted: 2012-06-26 13:37
webrehm:

Load down Audacity a free audio editor. Available for windows MAC etc.
audacity.sourceforge.net
start your G4FON or LCWO and let is play. Start audacity and record the sound. Can be done concurrent (=at the same time)
Stop the recording. Mark a dit, at the underside you can read the duration of the dit.
Highest precision when you measure in samples and put he sample rate high.

You find the ditlength of a character and you can measure the duration of character and wordspaces.
That is a correct way, not what you are doing, as also explained by the other contributers to your threads.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.