Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (21)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Old wive tales

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-03-10 17:19
Vincent O'Keeffe WA1FKF wrote an article:

"Learning Morse, facts, fancy and old wive tales"

QST Aug 1972.

Long before I was born.

He compared all the known methods, the not really excisting "ceilings" , how comes that everybody believes there are ceilings, (about the same reason they believe in some goddess not being the YL) the old eish5 method everything on time scale and the Koch method (no advantage measurable!)

So as lzlep wrote on eham.net, There is a lot of contradictionary advice.

Read that article, when you are ARRL member you can dig it up on their website, when you are not ask somebody that can dig it up, or become member.

Without QST it is not too expensive, and after a year you get a CDdisk with QEX QST and some worthless contesting rubbish.

ARRL has code practice files , just nice to listen to during having your lunch.

http://www.arrl.org/40-wpm-code-archive

You can click from 5 wpm upwards there.

Have a nice weekend

Posted: 2012-03-22 20:11
Thanx, I found that there's more to learning CW than just the CW. You also have to learn to pack the letters you hear into words and sentences (if you are just listening and not copying). Just think how difficult it is if someone says G O O D M O R N I N G letter by letter. This is the bit that I am battling with now, I can get each letter at 15 wpm but to make sense of the letters is not so esay.

Posted: 2012-03-22 20:48
Gordon,

Look fer CW abbreviations. Good Morning is normally abbreviated to gm.
You can exercise CW abbreviations on this web site,
and you can look them up in any radio amateurs hamdbook or find them on the Internet.

cul

Posted: 2012-03-26 20:03
Ah, Mr. Forbes I started learning words at about 15wpm copy speed. The, this, qth, and and were the first words I learned. Next was antenna and copy. They come at a steady pace. Words stand out better at 20wpm or faster. I couldn't force my head to learn a word; it just sort of poofed in there after hearing the same sound over and over on the air. I am learning to type to copy and what a boogar it is. I haven't been active for like 20 yrs and I can still copy at better than 10wpm by hand. Trying to type and copy has slowed me down to about 5wpm. It is like the letter jams on the way to my letter hunting fingers. One thing I can say is that folks that train using the farnsworth methood have cleaner, "fists." A good example is the letter C. I copy nn many times. Give me a good crip Dah dit Dah dit every time.

Posted: 2012-03-26 20:54
Yes Robert, I also found that learning at higher speed(about 15 wpm) was easier than 5 wpm. Listening to CW at 5 wpm is pure agony, it's so slow and my mind seem to drift from pure boredom. I am listening to CW on a MP3 player when I have a chance, it is a recording made of the lessons on this site of words at 20wpm (charater speed) with interval of 15 wpm and some other recordings. I have also found that some words jump at you like "the" and "QTH", not to mention the obvious CQ.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $