Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (21)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: priorty, finishing the lessons or increase speed ?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-02-22 11:42
Hi All - looking for a little advice.

I'm currently on lesson 7 and going well.

I assumed that i should be trying to increase the effective speed so that i should be nearing 20 wpm effective by lesson 40.

However, i seem to be hitting the wall beyond 10wpm effective.

I always keep the character speed to 20wpm

So, should i concentrate on finishing the lessons - or should i be making a definite effort to increase my effective wpm as i progress ?

Thanks,

Andy

Posted: 2012-02-22 16:16
You'll likely find plenty of contradictory advice on this. I'd say don't go to the next lesson until you can do the current one adequately with a "real speed" in excess of 12wpm. You'll see the real speed reported after every exercise along with your error count...
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-02-22 16:31
Thanks Rick, you've confirmed my feelings on this. I'm not sure it makes sense to copy 20wpm characters if the effective speed is only 10wpm. (As a final goal i mean)

After all, on the air, anyone sending at 20wpm is going to have an effective speed of 20wpm, not 10

So, unless I get some of that contradictory advice you refer to, i'm going to go back a few lessons and really try to get my effective speed up.
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-02-22 17:34
M6NOX
Don't make the fault you suggests.

When you finish the course, just standard, you will able to make QSO's.
Listen a few QSO's for the simple pattern, and you will be able to do what you learned CW for.

There are guys here that made the fault you indicate, and they stopped due to lack op progress.
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-02-22 22:53
Thanks for your thoughts, i suppose the crucial thing is to learn the individual characters at high speed. I can worry about increasing my overall effective speed later on !

Andy

Posted: 2012-02-23 13:01
The catch is that you want to learn them by reflex, not using some analytical thought process that needs big gaps between characters. The 10 wpm wall is a well-documented symptom associated with the use of an analytical thought process.

The flip-side is that some folks think it's better to get on the air, even if you can only work at less than 10 wpm.

Contradictory advice? Yep, there's plenty of it.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $