Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (18)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Effective speed?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-02-20 05:04
Exactly what is effective speed? Ten wpm with characters being sent at 20 wpm seems much faster and more difficult than 10 wpm with characters being sent at 10 wpm.

Posted: 2012-02-20 15:23
IIRC 'effective speed' determines the delay between characters en words. The other speed setting determines the time of dot, dash and single-dot space (within character).
The actual speed is thus determined by both settings and the length of the actual characters used. This is reported along with your score at the end of each excersise.

It is recommended to set the 'speed' at 15wpm or higher, so you learn the pattern of the character (not individual dots and dashes). Lower effective speed provides extra time to respond (recognise & type/write).

Joep

Posted: 2012-02-20 22:20
Hi:
The way I think of it is this. The "character speed" is how fast the di and dah of each individual character is sent. I find that 20 wpm character speed is a good speed. You want to set the character speed so that you hear an entire character, rather than a sequence of di's and dah's. I experimented till I found that if I set it too fast I couldn't tell an S from an H...then I knew the character speed was too fast and backed it down. Like I said, 20wpm is good for character speed while learning, even from the very first lesson.

The words per minute can be started as slow as you like. This gives you the time you need to process the character in your head and then type or write it. The important thing is, if you can, not to repeat the di's and dah's in your head, but keep your mind silent. Just hear the character and write it down or type it.

A good starting point is 20 character speed and 10 wpm; but many people start slower. They then leave the character speed alone but increase the overall wpm till they hit 20/10 and then go on to the next lesson. This varies quite a bit. The good news is that it is a lot of fun. You can actually "feel" yourself learning, feel those neurons connecting. For an old codger like me (65 years old) I am thrilled to see myself progress. So good luck, and above all, have fun!

Steve

Posted: 2012-02-21 00:42
At the end of each exercise you should see a line looking a bit like this:

Real speed: 64 characters / 59.1 seconds = 13 wpm / 65 cpm

That's the speed you actually ended up receiving. Chances are it'll be somewhere between your "character speed" and your "effective speed" settings, and it will vary from one exercise to the next, often by quite a bit. Using my current settings on my current lesson I've had values between 11.6 wpm and 14.1 wpm without my changing anything.

Posted: 2012-02-21 02:41
So if I'm doing 10 wpm with the character speed at 20 wpm, am I doing 10 wpm in the conventional sense or some other speed? If so, what other speed?

Posted: 2012-02-21 10:27
You're learning 20 wpm characters at the speed reported by the "Real speed" line I mentioned above. Theoretically, because you can recognise individual characters that have been sent at 20 wpm, that means you should have no trouble following 20 wpm morse, provided you've not learned to rely on the big gaps between characters...

The trouble with big differences between the character and real speeds is that, if you're not careful, you do learn to rely on big gaps between characters.

Posted: 2012-02-21 15:56
A long time ago, in a distant galaxcy.........

When, I was first taught to type, the same method was used to mark our progress. Basically, you might be working through a 20 word/min exercise but, the effective speed, just a ratio, gives you an idea of what speed you are capable of in reality! The more proficient one becomes, the closer the effective speed(cpm/correct cpm) comes towards the actual speed of the test!

Really, its a ratio to help measure your progress, or not, in my case:-)

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $