Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Why are you learning Morse/CW?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2012-01-02 04:53
Just wondering...why are you learning Morse? Just for fun, for amateur radio, to communicate with friends...?
I'm learning it as a New Year's Resolution, because I've always wanted to, and just for fun.

Posted: 2012-01-02 08:16
That has got to be the strangest new year resolution I've heard from a non-Ham.

As well as using LCWO you might try finding your local Ham club (try looking on the ARRL web site) I'm sure some of the members would be willing to help you and you never know you might get interested in Ham radio too!
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-02 13:12
Ooh Monica, dear girl,

Lucky that you are female, because females do always what they plan to do, so after 5 months you master Morse code. Males however, unless homosexual of the female type, don't make it. Of course: when you are lesbian of the male type you won't make it. So I start watching here what type you are.

I tell you a strange story about me learning Morse code.

My father was during WW2 in the RAF, that was the airforce operating from Britain. He was Marconist in a bomber airplane.
Finally he was shot down and grounded during a bombing raid on Dresden in the North Sea just past the coast of Holland on the returnflight of the plane.

Now I am pretty old, and I am living all alone in an old dominion in a rural area.
When the nights are dark, during this time of the year and the wind blows, the doors of the rooms are oscillating between the states nearly closed en pretty open. So all kinds of noise are around me. I don't need a radio in order not to loose my hearing. You will otherwise, doctor said: Use it or Lose it.

The hinges of the doors need some grease, but I am too old to get that job done. So I hear the beeps.

The beeps were very rhythmic and that was , together with the job of my father, a reason to learn the code.

Amazing to notice that after a while of exercising it turns out that the noise during night when I couldn't get asleep, was decodable, and believe it or not, it were messages from my father.

He told me all kind of things, and especially of value turned out to be messages about the future. He told me what to buy and what to sell on the exchange in London, I did it and it was true. When I placed the orders the people of the local Barclay bank looked at me with pity, but after a while and more orders I have quite an amount in the bank now, and they started to ask me advice!

How I knew this all, had I studied economics, what were my sources. A close friend of mine I told my secret, he didn't believe, I agreed to place a tape recorder in my dominion, he went to a local radioamateur with a recorded tape, a real ham, that is not part of a slaughtered pig as I thought, no he said that is a radio amateur that is easily able to decode Morse code.

And he was quite excited, when it turns out the messages were intelligent.

So, you see, I am not interested at all in speaking in a difficult way to stupid people, as real hams on the average are, but learning Morse code was for me the stepstone to wealth nowadays, thanks to my father.

Posted: 2012-01-04 07:39
This is a wonderfull story . Thank You! 73 Tim

Posted: 2012-01-06 01:08
Strange as it seams. I also am trying to learn Morse code as a new years resolution. The added incentive I have is being in my 50s I worry about needing to exercise brain cells

Posted: 2012-01-06 23:53
OK, me to! So that is three of us who have learning Morse as a New Year resolution.

And two of us are in our 50s as well....
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-07 14:00
I am afraid crazy girl, the topic starter, stopped already, she ran fast for a few days and stopped at lesson 2 after 36 exercises.

So much people, 1 january every year they take the resolution to stop overeating, to drop overweight, to drink less alcoholics and in this case to learn Morse code.

However TWO advantages:
1. They never run out of possible resolutions next new year, in this case 1jan2013
2. You (luckily) never meet that kind of guys and gals when you work CW only.

So hopefully the 50+ guys make their decisions to perform a task come true. They are supposed to have gained some wisdom during the first 50 years of their life.
So did I, and because of that I expect them to fail.

Come on guys proof the contrary to this 80_plusser.

Posted: 2012-01-08 02:55
Hate to say this but tone deaf that i am in lesson 3 I am rembering the pattern being sent need more random in patterns per lesson
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-08 15:58
Random is random, more random than random is impossible.

Posted: 2012-01-08 16:53
I'm learning cw because as a ham you get invited to all the right parties. I have a mobile station and my goal is cw while mobile.

I'm using different study aides. I use the lessons on this site now, only to see which letter to learn next and I practise with the cw machine. The lessons have a bug which always messes up the first character being sent (regardless of which flash settings I try). This is very disruptive for my concentration and I've given up on using them for practise.

73 de paul ve2ofh

Posted: 2012-01-08 21:54
VE2OFH
That what I experienced also.
It is with the Koch lessons, not with words or call sign training.

Try using another browser.

Posted: 2012-01-15 00:08
I am learning CW to make contact with dxpeditions when in the rarer dx entities. It will be a long while before that happens, but soon I should be able to understand some.
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-16 20:32
I am learning CW because I am a dutch ham and I have my license since 1984 or so. In those day when you had a license but without the CW part you were only allowed to work on the VHF bands or higher. It was back then that I also wanted to learn CW but I soon quitted. nowadays CW isn't required anymore, infact you can't even do cwexams anymore in the Netherlands.
But being the sentimental old fool as I'd like to see myself (I'm 47) I thought now is the time to learn CW. My father in law used to be a wireless operator but he never speak about it. Maybe when I learn CW I can get him to talk about his work.

So to end my story, Ihope I can keep it up, every day one page in my exercise book and maybe one day I can make a QSO in morsecode.

Posted: 2012-01-17 08:09
Adrie,

Keep up the good work! My situation was similar (being 46..) C-exam in 1985 but did do A-exam in 1987. Quickly stopped using it after some first bad QSO's. Relearned using LCWO about a year ago and now happily making contacts in CW. In fact, I haven't plugged in the mike on the HF set since then. Every day some practice and keep motivated!

What speed settings are you using?

Alex
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-17 09:09
For me, at 69, CW is the last frontier in ham radio (after building myself a digital programmable standalone HF transceiver a few years ago, which I use daily. With 5 microprocessors, it probably has more processing power than the Apollo mission.)

CW is utterly minimalistic and elegant, requiring only the processing power we were given when born.

I have been licensed since 1959. Where I live, we have trained more 100 new hams over the past 5 years. It was the young, technically savvy ones, who said "cw is so cool, because of its retro flair". Although it is no longer a requirement. Interesting.

73, Peter
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-17 17:20
Grufti-Peter, where can I find more information about that tranceiver design?
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-18 10:15
Greg, see personal mail, please, 73, Peter
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-18 16:57
@ Alex, my speed settings are 15/10.
I keep the sign speed at 15 but at the beginning of each new lesson I drop the effective speed till about 8 and then increase it as soon as possible.
When I can take 15/12 easily I go on to the next lesson.

Posted: 2012-01-20 18:34
cw help me understand english. I like cw but i am not good in cw . I am try for next days i am good.

Posted: 2012-01-20 22:06
Something that no one here has mentioned yet is that CW is a restful activity. When I come home from a very stressful job, solving serious problems and conflicts for 8 straight hours, I study my CW here on LCWO.net. In order to copy the code, I blank my mind and let the sound flow from my ears down to my pen and out pops a letter.

I have been doing that for two years now. I'm 65 and it has been slow go, but I derive great relaxation from just studying the CW....it's like meditation.

I combine that with study of random QSO's on AA9PW's site and I'm about ready to get on the air and have some CW QSO's. But surprisingly, I just love the CW study itself. It is so relaxing. It's like I found a reset switch for my brain.
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-01-21 17:15
I am going fast in the course, but the straining is experienced as extreme

Posted: 2012-01-28 20:05
Yes, I agree Steve K6IEA this learning site is very relaxing. I think of it as a form of meditation also.I also listen to my music while
typing in the letters to help inprove my listening skills.

Posted: 2012-01-28 21:18
For me, "relaxing" is one thing trying to learn morse most definitely isn't. If I relax for a moment I miss the next letter, and the next, and...

Posted: 2012-01-30 08:19
@PE1KWC: Sounds good, the speed settings. Never go below 15 wpm character speeds. Good luck.
I will be willing to help if you want some on air practice.

Concerning the relaxing subject. I have always found a high stress feeling inside during copying. I am now trying to listen less concentrated and just let go if I miss characters.
It is much more relaxed as I hope that characters and words will come automatically (which they now do more often).

Posted: 2012-01-30 12:50
PA1FOX:
I am now trying to listen less concentrated and just let go if I miss characters.

It's essential to let the characters you've missed go in order to catch the next ones, but it sure doesn't help make sense of the message, and the temptation to try to re-play the missed characters can be strong...

Posted: 2012-01-30 13:48
It sure is. Even replaying the last tones in your head, just to get that missing word... causing following words to fail.

Just train yourself: every time you do this...STOP. As soon as possible. But it is not easy. I have the same issue. I sure hope mere practice will get me there in the end.

Posted: 2012-01-30 15:49
This may sound a little nuts, but I find it helps to (consciously) make sure I'm breathing, because I have the same stress problem, and when I get stressed I don't breathe normally.

Posted: 2012-02-08 04:55
Stress was the reason that I became interested in CW too. Iterestingly, learning to follow the rythmic sound helps me to cocerntrate and, stay in the now.

Although, some characters are missed and, then i try to hard to catch up, but then get muddled up by the K's.

Being a ham since the beginning of this solar cycle, it now seemed a good time to leave the whislers behind on SSB. Also, I like the feeling and idea of ultra low QRP. And, because, not long ago, my advanced exam was passed, now, it is time to move on.

Posted: 2012-02-08 16:46
I decided to learn CW while reading the book "Mr. Lincoln's T-mails". A great bood about Morse Code, and how Lincoln really empraced the new technology. After reading only a few chapters I looked up a few sites on the Web and downloaded several apps for my Tablet. I also had two great friends (both deseased) who were ham radio operators, and I am am kind of doing it in their honor or memory.

Posted: 2012-02-10 01:26
I've been a licensed HAM for a few years now and the only modes I really enjoy are digital. CW seems like the next logical step and I love the idea of being able to go outdoors and operate with minimal equipment. I've made a few attempts at learning code but each time have got frustrated and lost interest; however I always seem to find myself back wanting to learn. Someday I'll get there. :)

Posted: 2012-02-13 03:19
KE5ZZN - Jake

I look at Morse Code as the "original digital" or the father of texting. Think of it as binary code 0's & 1's vs dit's and da's or the shorthand of iphone texting when using "Q" codes.

Morse Code is still best enjoyed in the human context i.e., hand on the key and hand copy of the QSO. Of course contesting via digital communications will get you more points but it cannot replace the personal feeling of an actual hand keyed CQ and the response.

Your comment of "go to outdoors and operate with minimal equipment" can be the beginning of a fantastic journey if you investigate QRP ham radio communications. It forces you to tune your equipment ( radio, antenna and matching network) to the finest degree and it is low cost.

Setting in a high place in a national park working the world with battery operated equipment you carry in a small back pack is an experience you cannot describe.

In the past I had the same problem as you with learning Morse Code untill I found LCWO. Practice daily at say 20/12 or better yet at 30/15. Stay at it and it will come to you.

KJ4WGU

Posted: 2012-02-14 05:42
Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm back again today and I'm proud to say that my progress from before was not lost; I am back up to lesson 10. I'm working with 20/5 and custom code groups right now as an experiment to pick up the newest letters and then will try moving back to the standard lessons in the ballpark of 20/10 or better. I'll get it sooner or later. Like you said, just need to keep coming back daily.

Jake - KE5ZZN

Posted: 2012-02-23 18:39
Hey Everyone,

I am learning CW because I have always been interested in getting into HAM or CB but was always intimidated by learning Morse code. About half a year ago, I suffered a head injury that has forced me to put most of my life on hold and it looks like I have about another half of a year to be back where I was. Since I'm trying to get my brain back up to snuff and since I have plenty of time, I thought this would be a good time to learn.
[deleted]

Posted: 2012-02-24 12:32
I learned Morse code on this website, because emprisoned for 15 years I was the central communications point for about on the average 87 guys to sent messages to the outside world, by just switching on and off the light in my 'room' which was picked up in an apartment of a neighbouring apartment building.

Now however, I can also receive messages, due to the fact I can decode the sigs from that apartment building to my window, transmitted by laser pen.
So learning Morse code was a profitable bussines
for me.

Posted: 2012-02-25 03:18
survivorjoe

Being proficient at CW places any (licensed ham operator) at an advantage over voice only communicators. Operators with a physical or other impairment are in the game and on the air under the most adverse atmospheric conditions.

Proceed on Sir:
73 KJ4WGU

Posted: 2012-02-25 03:27
ldeletdl - Chairefone

I hope your communications are monitored and evaluated. If I were your keeper you would not have a communication channel and your internal contacts would be terminated.

Serve your time.
KJ4WGU

Posted: 2012-03-01 21:58
I learm morse because I think it may be interesting.
I've said to me: "Hey learn to morse, it isn't boring and you have something to work."
...and so I learn morse, now...

Posted: 2012-03-11 20:58
I am learning cw to be able to communicate with more hams in the world.

Posted: 2012-03-12 00:26
Well, here's my 2cents worth. I am learning CW to finish something I began back in the late 60's BUT the 3 main reasons I would give someone else is:
#1. CW allows a much lower cash outlay to get into. You can even get a kit & build it yourself. Less stuff to haul around also
#2. CW is only understood by a small percent of people so it is mostly a "secret" communication, even if done in a public place.
#3. Penetration thru distance & high noise (static) is better with CW. Even low power.
*It also gives a great feeling of accomplishment and yes, it is soothing to me also.
*Paul, if you switch to sending on a small plane instead of an auto you should reach out farther.

Posted: 2012-03-14 03:28

I would really like to communicate with people in the world that only can afford a hand made rig with some batteries. A small hand made rig with a few watts can cover a long distance.

Posted: 2012-03-14 15:34
I think: Why was I learning Morse code? Different reasons.

I was not good in science algebra and history at school, but I know I love you.

Who is is "YOU"? Every guy that is willingfull to explore his own talents. Not only being willingfull, but persisting to perceive to reach his goal. This will certainly not be correct English. Guys that are commenting the last statement: How is your Elbonian?

I learned English by listening to tunes and singers on the BCL-box, so blame them when it is not perfect. Not me.

Write something in Elbonian, my mothers tongue, so I can declare _YOU_ with authority as a sucker.

Back to topic, our basic task in life is to explore our capabilities, put in our genes, to the maximum.
Not to collect as much money as you can.
Not to chase happiness as good as you can.
Last two cases: You will never have enough and are unhappy because you are not more happy.

So the task in your life is not hunting for feeling lucky, so I feel. But when your intellectual abilities, given by nature are sub average, such as mine, still you can hunt to explore your given talents.

That is not only loving and taking care for your mate and family, but also exploring other talents you have, in my case to try Morse code, and YES, it chalenges my perseverance and I got the results due to that, more rewarding : results that easy learning boys, with high paid salaries did not get because they simply buy what they want, and they are not able to buy any skill because skills you can't buy but you have to obtain by planning, perseverance and what have you that they don't have. When you always get easy what you want you lose your abilities to get something that is not easy to obtain.

That is very rewarding.

Posted: 2012-03-16 04:47
Lol, I hate talking to a mike.

Posted: 2012-03-16 17:11
To increase my skills. And perhaps be a better ham.

Posted: 2012-03-17 01:35
I don't know why I keep practicing CW. I love it without knowing why; my natural frequency ω must be around there.

But I know since when this love started. AFTER I learnt the code, when it became easier, effortless, then I felt the joy of CW.

Anyway, I will give it a good try and brush up my Elbonian as well. Unless Earth will be demolished by tomorrow, I'll make it through and mail a QSL to an Elbonian ham.

Posted: 2012-03-20 07:35
I learn CW because it is a handy "tool" and because it is hard to learn. If you persevere and you have mastered it, you have acquired a skill that enable you to communicate not only in bad conditions but also in many different forms like flashlight, blinking eyes, tapping on a pipe and hand signals to name a few.

It is also a journey to discover and enrich yourself, it's easy to sit and watch TV but so much more fun to get up and do something productive. I have acquired many skills already like skydiving, abseiling and scuba to name a few and I wish I learned CW earlier, it would have helped my to communicate in many of the other activities.

It's also the only mode (that I know of) that can be send / received between a human and a computer.

Posted: 2012-03-22 09:13
CW has been a passion that dates back to when was boy, I liked World War II films in the Pacific Ocean, in the jungle.
The first time I learned Morse code when I was soldier in 1970, five month of DI and DAH, morning and afternoon, (Tomorrow I will be 65).
In 72 I took the license, but I never used the CW, now I have nostalgia and passion for CW.
I am on lesson 35 at 20/10 speed, I hope to go on air in a few months.
I love CW, CW is music.
73 IV3GSO

Posted: 2012-03-31 23:20
Having watched a Ham operator using Morse code on Field Day just piqued my interest and then my intellect. I use the latter word loosely as I am 75 yrs old but am prepared to give it my best shot. I am looking forward to receiving my first QSO card for CW.

Posted: 2012-04-04 19:22
Mandarin is my second language. English is my third language. I don't have a first. CW fills that void.

Posted: 2012-04-13 18:40
I've been fascinated with CW/Morse since I was a child, hearing it & seeing it tapped out in movies.

In the last few years I've been listening to a lot of HF/Shortwave stations and simply want to be able to decode all the CW signals I hear, be they from hams or numbers stations, without using a computer.

That's what I like about CW, it's simple elegance - and - if you learn the skill, you have a new way to communicate.

I made a few abortive attempts at learning it in the past, but the last 11 days or so, thanks to this site, I've gone from lesson 14 to 33. If/When I pass lesson 40, then I'll increase the effective speed... then I'll boost the character speed.. and on and on, seems like a skill that one never stops learning.

Hoping to sit the Amateur Radio exam here in June and be able to communicate, primarily with CW.

Good luck to everyone learning - no matter how hard you're finding it, if you are determined you *will* achieve the level of CW skill you want.

P.S: For those of us without a license to transmit CW, it would be great if there was a facility to have CW QSO's over this website with other users. Just an idea :)

Posted: 2012-04-25 05:57
It is a challenge for me.

Posted: 2012-04-25 22:18
I'm building a QRP transceiver (Elecraft K1). Struggling to get past lesson 12!

Posted: 2012-04-26 17:36
15 postings to go and we have the longest topic started by somebody with a jan 1 convincement,
such like stop smoking, who obviously disappeared after learning 4 characters of "all te code"

Learning Morse code is a very good way to become acquinted with the general behavior of people, second best after watching the automobile they buy in order to demonstrate their own importance in society.

Posted: 2012-04-27 14:22
Regardless of your intent for use....it has been a great way to improve ability to focus. Almost a zen like experience .... Many thanks to the individuals who developed and maintain this website..and best regards to all in this posting series.

Posted: 2012-04-28 18:42
Strange how life is: I just finished breadboarding up a code practice Oscillator and I failed to include a headphone connection. Well, I was playing with it at the dining room table. The XYL glared at me for a while then said "begone." Sigh, so I went outside. I headed down to the compost pile and started recording my sending so I can examine it later indoors (with headphones) to see how it sounds. I looked up when I heard a sound and I was surrounded by crows. A lot of them. I was entertaining them I guess. I have been practicing CW steadily, twice a day. First thing in the moring and just before I go to bed. But, my speed isn't up to the minimum speed the Bug I have can go. Back to the straight key for a while I suppose. LOL. Crows hang around each time I set up outside so that is fun. I can't wait to get back on the air. I just built a SW40+ and found a brass candy box that it will fit in. So, I have to hang an antenna, get one of those 12v sealed lead-acid batteries from HomeDepot and I am on the air. Yay! I have my Extra AA1CM so I can practice by actually yacking. Learning the Code isn't hard. What is hard is practice each and every day. So, I advise getting to 5wpm and get your licence and get on the air. You will increase speed as you QSO; your most annoying thing then will be those pesky QSL cards. PD0LDB, I chuckled when I read your post. But, you don't really know why the individual dropped. Loss of computer? Meteor fall wiped out ISP? LOL likely you are right but? Love the car thing though. That really only covers Mid-Aged Men reliably. I drove a Geo Meto for like 15 years. I wonder what that says about my importance? Boo hoo. I am not important I guess.

Posted: 2012-04-28 21:13
Amateur Radio
Just For Fun

Posted: 2012-05-28 21:29
Hi all! This is my first post here :)
I wanted to learn morse code since the first time I saw it in a book as a child, but it seemed so alien and I was lazy. But recently I decided to learn it, and I think I can recall all the characters but I'm still having trouble when trying to listen to morse code. I'll just have to practice I guess, gradually increasing the wpm. Actually I learned the whole code in a week or so (at least the ones included in the Koch course), which isn't too bad.
So right now I'm just practicing and trying to increas my speed, and trying sending code on CWCom sometimes.

Posted: 2012-06-04 19:11
So, a couple of years back, my motivation was in order to try to catch some of those trickier and more distant SOTA activations. Now, add to that being able to play radio in headphone silence without disturbing others in the same room (or tent); something you just can't do using phone modes.

Posted: 2012-06-06 18:03
I am not learning it, i am improving it.
I want to get my speed up, so i can intermingle
with operators who do their 30 WPMs.

I am 43, a former navy operator - and now ham-radio operator. Morsecode gets me further around the globe than any other method of radio-communication, due to the fact that it focusses the transmitter energy into a very narrow signal... morsecode is the laserbeam, voice is like a flashlight. Using a "straight key" is as natural to me as talking. What i lack is speed, 15-20 wpm is my standard, but often i am outspeeded by fellow hams .. i am taking on the challenge .-)

very nice to see that so many people still learn this, for whatever motivation. Even if you never use it, its a brain-trainer. It teaches you focus
and shortterm memory....

best regards from finland

Posted: 2012-06-10 05:50
MorseCode is a mountain to climb. It is something that will be forgotten if we do not take an interest in it. I know there are many getting into this everyday but there are also many of the old timers going away everyday. Life today is about everything coming easy. This just will not do that. I am doing this because it is fun. It is different. It is hard. It is about being a ham radio operator.

Posted: 2012-06-10 21:28
well spoken lynn.

Posted: 2012-06-14 07:50
My grandfather, K4DC(SK), was an avid coder. I remember sitting in his basement shack watching him pound out code on his old Navy straight key and copy incoming code on his typewriter. He was easily a 35+ WPM guy, and I was always amazed that he could make a conversation out of the dits and dahs.

I'm what US hams often call a "no-code" ham. There was no CW test when I got licensed; however, I knew from watching my grandfather and father as radio operators that CW is an important part of any serious operator's skill set.

Fortunately, I found this website very early on in my quest to learn code. Without lcwo.net, I'd probably still be a "no-code" ham and have missed out on some truly great QSO's. The highlight of my CW experience to date has been operating a DXpedition in Afghanistan as T6KK, where over 95% of my contacts were CW. Without code, the op would have been a failure. There's not much in life that's as exciting as sitting down at a key as DX, putting out your call, then listening to the pile-up build. Thanks, Fabian, for helping make these kinds of experiences possible for thousands of hams around the world.

Kurt
KE7KUS

Posted: 2012-09-21 23:59
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the distinct impression that Elbonian is not a real language.

Posted: 2012-09-23 17:18
Amazing.

I wrote right in this thread:
[quote]
I learned English by listening to tunes and singers on the BCL-box, so blame them when it is not perfect. Not me.

Write something in Elbonian, my mothers tongue, so I can declare _YOU_ with authority as a sucker. [/quote]

And independent I read in this thread written by SV2KBS
[quote]

Anyway, I will give it a good try and brush up my Elbonian as well. Unless Earth will be demolished by tomorrow, I'll make it through and mail a QSL to an Elbonian ham. [/quote]

Not to forget in the thread of this forum:
http://lcwo.net/forum/351/Time-to-come-and-time-to-leave
where you can read:

[quote]
When you work with CW the DXCC entry for Elbonia, and you find that the ham is calling himself Digi, you better ask for a QSL and you get one from me direct for a green stamp and a SAE. You will find the right postal address on QRZ.com when you copied my callsign correctly.

73 es sk
Digibeet
[/quote]

I live in Holland and that country has his we(s)t boundary at the sea, further its surface is largely below sea level, so when you stop pumping the water out, you are in a short time till knee level walking through the mud. Elbonians have the same problem, they however use home build pumping equipment, not imported Dutch pumps, because they don't like to spent money on quality equipment, their equipment does't work adequate, but they don't bother, find it easier to walk through the sumps then to keep their feet dry. The Elbonian ladies want to keep their feet dry, and for that reason they invented the pump as footwear, however, typical Elbonian, only keeping the heels dry.

Lucky you are back, Monica, how are your proceedings learning Morse Code?

Posted: 2012-09-26 02:53
Hi I learned code about 5 yrs. ago There was not a code requirement then I learned it in the basement so I could get away from my xyl. I was given a hw16 cw only so I am brushing up on morse I feel good at about 8 wpm but improving. 73 Darryl [ve3cpo]

Posted: 2012-09-26 12:01
I lean it because I'm in SCHOOOOOLLLLL!!!!

Posted: 2012-10-11 12:13
because I just can't stand not knowing the meaning of the send beeps. And love to unreveal what is not revealed to me already. Also I want to be able to communicate without electricity. One never knows.
And I am just hooked on the dits and dah's.

Posted: 2014-03-05 21:13
Quite pity, that Tim, 73 who wrote that beautiful story above, seems to have deleted his account and will not read this. I would love to contact him. Because if it's really true that random noises from a door really have intelligent morse code, and if he really has a tape recording of that, I would strongly suggest him to take not only the profit from the economy casino (aka London stock exchange), but to take the one million bucks from James Randi's bet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

I am sceptic, but I do definitely not strictly neglecting the possibility that his story is true. But I think James Randi is the best adress (and beside that the most profitable) to make sure, that you are not fooled by your perception like "whishful thinking" as the most common (but not the only) way to be fooled.

Posted: 2014-03-06 09:26
Nerol:
Quite pity, that Tim, 73 who wrote that beautiful story above, seems to have deleted his account and will not read this. I would love to contact him.

It is not Tim 73, that was the writer of fhe first reply, on that story, I understand.

He also wrote on http://hellemonster.pa3aql.nl/verhalen.html still there.

The owner of that call is high in the toplist Quote500, one of the richest people of this country and known as a grumpy old, must be over 90, separate living guy. Seldom seen outside his house and clothed like a beggar, So I suppose he is not interested at all in the bet of some crook anyway.

Posted: 2014-03-15 19:11
Practicing receiving call signs at high speed for contesting and the Dx. Once I have the call sign the rest is relatively easy with standard exchanges and of course a nice little memory keyer for the return info.
Back in the 90's when I first started I was able to QSO at around 10-13 wpm…. to ragchew. I found it difficult to break through that barrier. Now I am working on copying without a pencil, and I find it incredibly difficult. I get the first two or three letters and then lose it. I will keep at it though.
[deleted]

Posted: 2014-03-15 23:02
rabiddog9:
Now I am working on copying without a pencil, and I find it incredibly difficult. I get the first two or three letters and then lose it. I will keep at it though.

Exercise with 'Words' on this website, maxim. length 5 characters, fixed speed, repeat the same word till you copied it.

Posted: 2014-04-06 19:51
I am learning morse for several reasons. While living in Japan years ago I really enjoyed learning Japanese. Before that I enjoyed studying American sign language in school. Learning morse brings back memories of studying both and I enjoy it. Another reason I am learning morse is because I have always enjoyed seeing movies where there is that one guy who knows morse code and ends up saving the day. Probably my biggest motivator is I want to be able to do long distance, low power radio communication. It has been fun to study so far and learn from local Hams. Glad I found this great website.

Posted: 2014-04-06 20:52
I enjoy nothing of this at all. but I started this job and as a real Dutch, with the blood of my grandparents, all of Dutch nationality, I WANT to finish this (obviously senseless) job, which in my case (previously defined goal) means: Reach Word exercises at above the personal top score ranking on this website that I am now, but with a speed of 50 wpm, and then: Bye bye and mni tks.

Copy my behaviour and you proof to have the same character I have demonstrated, even when you don't have brains - like I don't obviously have, because I failed and dropped out all schools. "But I know I love you".

if if yi can,

Posted: 2014-04-07 23:59
I did it once just to gain my full licence and get on the HF bands 14 years ago, Now I am having to re learn as I want to be able to actually use it and have fun using it at a decent speed.

Posted: 2014-04-20 18:12
If any of you want a "sked" life exercise bi-directional or if you dont have a lincense, but a areceiver - also unidirectional - i would love to support you in any speed you like.
my station is in northern europe, and i dare to say on a normal afternoon i reach all europe on one band or the other.
you find my email address on QRZ.COM

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $