Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (19)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Letters s 5 h

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-12-24 22:37
Until lesson 28 I had no problems with distinguishing s & 5, and then lesson 28 introduced h. Using code groups, I have tried just the 3 letters, and I might as well type the letters randomly. Also I added q / & v and still can not distinguish s5h. Other than lots of practice, any other ideas?

Posted: 2011-12-24 23:25
Catherine,

you may consider lowering the speed until you distinguish them. Don't be concerned about the speed at which you decode safely but rather keep errors as low as possible.

gl

Gerd.

Posted: 2011-12-26 00:29
VK4QH

I have been where you are in learning CW.

I learn CW elements at 30/15. I test at 25/12. Currently I am on lesson 40.

My difficulty is learning the number of (dit & dash) sounds in similar letters and numbers.

As in 5, 3, h, s etc. Learning the sound of the letter is of the greatest importance. 3 dit vs 4 dit or 5 dit vs 4 dit sounds were difficult, not the number count of dits and dashes.

My greatest help was using the (CONVERT TEST TO CW) menue item. After a test, enter the letters you have trouble with in this menue and play back untill you can understand the element sounds clearly. Use the letter and word speeds that you use in tests.
KJ4WGU

Posted: 2011-12-26 19:25
Hi Catherine,

Try listening to code groups with s, h and 5 without writing / typing. I did so for a few days while driving to work.

Joep

Posted: 2012-03-26 02:45
Catherine,

This will definitely help you.

Make yourself an mp3 file at whatever speed you would like and listen to it not more than maybe 5 minutes at a time and then go do something else for several hours and then come back and listen to your mp3 again.

Do this daily with a day off once in awhile until itclears up for you.

s s s s s
h h h h h
5 5 5 5 5
sh5 sh5 sh5 sh5 sh5

By doing this, you will begin to hear these as true sounds and in the future you will not even have to think about it.

GL,

wols

Posted: 2012-03-28 08:54
VK4GH

In Italian language, a common way to remember the Morse characters S, H, 5 is to match, to associate the sound of these characters to the words "Trentatre" "Ottantatre" "Centoottantatre" ("33" "83" "183").
This is called assonance, help you to memorize something more into your brain.
Is there something similar for English language?
I think some English-speaking OldTimer ham can help you.
Memorize the sound, do not count DIT and DAH.

73's de IV3GSO

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $