Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: A suggestion for word training

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-08-11 21:17
I was doing the common cw abbreviations on word training and I had a thought. Would it be possible to do the word training similar to the character training?

For example, start with two words or abbreviations sent randomly for a minute or two. Once the user has mastered those two, then a third can be added, and a fourth, and so on.

I believe that it would help to be able to recognize the entire word instead of trying to decipher it character by character.

Posted: 2011-08-18 17:28
...or a combination of Koch and word-training, so that the (modified) Koch lessons used words (or words and callsigns) rather than random strings?

A couple of other thoughts I've had, having tried word training as an alternative (because I'm just not getting anywhere with Koch):

Please could you add a maximum speed in the word training (and make the minimum speed work - at present it'll happily go below the minimum).

Does the use of the "." to replay the word have any effect on the score? I found myself wishing that it'd step the speed down a notch after (say) three replays...

Thanks.
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-08-20 09:07
"
...or a combination of Koch and word-training, so that the (modified) Koch lessons used words (or words and callsigns) rather than random strings?
"

I second Rick.

To me, as someone who wants to brush up CW (already knowing chars), or move from pencil to head copy, it is the single most missed feature in all practice programs I came across.

Also, I wonder, if it was possible to vary the spacing between words at will. (ie Farnsworth for whole words, rather than chars.)

I find myself quite good/improving my head copy of single words at speeds above 25wpm, provided I have a little more time before the next word comes along.

Experts and seasoned practitioners: hw abt? Does that make sense in the light of experience?

73, Peter

Posted: 2011-12-26 22:41
Yes, I too am interested in how Word Training is graded. Do repeats "." affect score? Length of time from start to finish? Other criteria?

73, Chuck K6ZIZ
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-12-28 18:26
Yes, definitely. Variable spacing between words ("Farnsworth for words", as suggested above, for all the good reasons given by others). To me, that is the single most wanted feature in any of the progra,s known to me.

At age 69, I brushed up my CW, solid head copy of random text at 20/20 plateau. To all those who thought I´d quit after a few weeks, I am still at it.

73 and Happy New Year,
Peter

Posted: 2011-12-29 01:38
grufti - Peter

Thank you brother for your posting of 2011-12-28.

I too am a grey beard of 69 years. CW transmissions at QRP power levels is my passion and challange.

After completing lesson training, my objective is useing code groups, word, and callsign training to become competent at this most effective and (economical) form of ham radio communication.

Your suggestion and others in this forum posting seem to be most helpfull.

KJ4WGU

Posted: 2011-12-29 10:29
1. It has no sense to recognise whole words as one sound. You have to read the characters in the sequence they arrive for head copy. Finally that will happen automatically. Start with 5 minutes of unknown text, repeat same text everyday till you decode it solid copy by head, when solid take another 5 minutes of text and repeat that every day. When you have done that with 10 pieces of text, it turns out the 11 piece is immediately solid copy.

2. Score for "Words" is speed times number of characters, independent of repeating.

3. Head copy training: Use "Words" spacing between words is your choice by hitting return. Optional are limited wordlength and fixed speed AFAIK

4. CW abreviations : do not add one at a time, exercice a group of 10. When familiar another group of 10 without the first 10. When familiar add them to the first group to make a group of 20.

5.Make your own "a la carte" exercises with text to CW option.

Grufti-Peter: That's because u are grufti, hi

Posted: 2012-01-07 03:05
Hmmm! test-Test user.

Ref. item #4 in your posting. I suspect that you have "been there, done that" (maybe).

Do you have a call-sign or are you a psychology type observing the lab rats?

Whatever - you make sense.

KJ4WGU

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $