Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (20)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: word training

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-05-21 05:08
i've just started learning cw but i'm enjoying this most of the time except when i get frustrated. I'm confused by the word training scores, though. I am trying it at 30 wpm (WAY too fast for me, just for fun) but taking advantage of being able to repeat each word more than once. I might get through the whole list without errors but I'll probably only have copied 3 or 4 of the words on the first try, and had to repeat all the others. I don't think these attempts should count toward high scores, should they?

Secondly, in the opinion of all your cw masters out there, am I doing myself harm by playing like this, or just wasting time? It's very exciting when I can copy a whole word on the first try. :)
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-05-21 17:02
Eric,

You are doing it right. Nothing wrong with repeating the words a second, third or fourth time because you are training your ears to hear the sound of the full word.

If you repeat words give yourself about 5 seconds before you hit repeat.

After all, guys have worked their scores up higher on the list by doing it this way.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-05-21 20:36
The purpose of this website is learning Morse and increasing your proficiency.

So, in Words there is the (.)
Press the (.) and the word is repeated. That is an excellent method to copy above a speed you are comfortable with, and repeat till you copy the word, and after that repeat it again at least 3 times, preferably more times.

This is an excellent way to improve your proficiency for copying plain text in your head without typing or writing.

The high score lists are fake, it is just the way people are exercising, they are free to select a method that suits them best, hence those lists have no meaning. Your exercising has the purpose to learn here, not to be higher on any list.

When you want to compare your score with other people you NEED code or call signs whatever, NO WORDS in order to omit the advantage of knowing some language better than another one. Go to www.rufzxp.net for a reasonable controlled testing and competing environment.

Furthermore the average word length is quite different in different languages, You can find that out when you compare multilingual user guides of home appliances, such as tranceivers these days are.

Posted: 2011-05-22 00:37
oh yes, i have no interest in comparing myself to anyone else, it just seemed odd. As long as nobody thinks its a bad idea to repeat over and over until I get it it all, i will keep doing it. the advice about listening for the whole word instead of stopping/repeating mid-word is good, and i will follow that. Also the koch lessons.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $