Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (34)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Random QSO generator

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-05-07 19:27
Hi Fabian: I would sure like to see you add a random QSO generator, like Simon Twigger has at
http://aa9pw.com/morsecode/

One can set the character and word speed, and I found it to be a real confidence builder, in that it allows me to practice the most common QSO words and prosigns, and I learn good sending form at the same time.

I love your site. I practice every day. I've got a long way to go for this 65 year old brain but I can actually feel the neurons growing little by little. Thanks again,

Steve K6IEA

Posted: 2011-05-11 19:50
Even though I'm only on lesson 12 at LCWO, I'm discovering that by listening to the computer generated QSO's referred to above, at 15wpm and (18wpm character speed) I'm picking out "words" like "the, is, hr, rst, rig, name, ant, etc.). I can't wait to get farther along in my LCWO lessons. I work on code every lunch time at my work place. Thanks to Fabian and to Simon Twigger. I think the HAM radio community has a lot of really great people in it.
Administrator

Posted: 2011-05-27 04:01
Hi Steve,

I guess a random QSO generator would fit very well into this site. How about one that asks the user about the listened QSO afterwards? E.g. some multiple choice question: "What is the name of AB1CD?" :)

Fabian

Posted: 2011-05-31 07:33
Will this be checked and scored as per the other lessons? If not, then some form of self checking would be needed and I like the question idea, as when I have tried copying text in other programs, I get fed up with checking my written copy. (I'd prefer your online checking of every character though if possible)

Posted: 2011-06-01 21:41
At my current stage of writing everything an exact copy might be the way forward but I do like the idea of trying to get the sense of the QSO by only writing notes and then answering questions like name, wx, temp, RST, QTH etc... Any sort of game to play with CW is good as it is all helpful and gives variety to the training.

Posted: 2011-06-10 20:01
Hi Fabian: sorry to take so long getting back to you. Yes, good idea. Simon has the option to generate a random QSO, or a random QSO with specific questions. If you choose the questions it asks you what was the call number of sender and receiver, the signal report, the sender's city and weather, the sender's occupation etc.

In my opinion it's a big confidence builder.

Steve

Posted: 2014-03-03 19:55
Steve,

Using Fabian's cw.mp3 player, I created a simple website that has a true random 3-part QSO generator. It uses your own callsign+name (as a real QSO would) and true USA callsigns+QTH+name data (all I had access to was the FCC database). I was not able to get my hands on the larger worldwide database from QRZ.com, so no DX practice. Nevertheless, it's been great to be able to practice copying random QSOs.

My CW experience is very limited (just started learning it), but the generator uses phrases my CW Academy Level 1 instructor taught me plus things I found on the web.

If you are still interested, please take a look at: http://361euros.com/K1TNT/CW/

73 de Cesar
[deleted]

Posted: 2014-03-03 21:24
Yes, Yes TNT (is TNT not a bunch of chemicals that destroys cultural?)

Very good idea.

And the calls are random generated, and when you have 100 different countries you get lcwoDXCC.

Really the next proposed step to omitting ham radio.

I suppose the step after this is adding noise QRM QRN QSB?

Bright idea.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.