Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (7)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: User List Search Facility

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-04-27 15:56
Not sure what other users think about this, But it would be useful to be able to do a call sign search in the User List.

Can this be incorporated into LCWO ??

Hats off to the developers of this site, with out this I dont think my morse will be advancing as fast.

Thanks

Colin. M1OCN
Administrator

Posted: 2011-04-27 16:06
Hi Colin,

a search function has been on the "wish list" for a while :-)

I've been very busy with other things for the last three months or so and the next weeks won't be much better either, but I hope to find some more time to check some points of the TODO-list soon!

Fabian DJ1YFK
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-04-27 18:27
Colin,

Why would you want that?

Also explain; if that call sign userlist search was implemented; what would you use it for?

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-04-28 17:18
Colin

First of all:
You can select in the userlist a selection on user name. Use the arrows on the top of the list. Result is a grouping of call signs.

BUT everybody can use a call sign existing or not,
I know of a guy winning a CW proficiency test on a hamfest, and his call is in the user list here, slowly advancing to lesson 14 in Koch and obviously stopped training in the mean time.

Does that mean that the winner of the proficiency test was cheating with some elecronic gadget, OR is his call abused at this web site?

What is abuse? The user names here are just a group of characters, not representing the identity of the person. When that group of characters is somewhere in use as a call sign that does not mean that the person exercising with that user ID is the same person that is using that character group as a call sign in radio communication. That is 100% legal.

Do not make the error to speak about identity theft because the user-ID simply is NOT the identity and has nothing to do with the identity of the user. The user is able to change the character group without loosing his scores and statistics because the key in the database is the sequence number of first admission.

Fat
Administrator

Posted: 2011-04-29 10:33
The sorting options for the user list were implemented when the list was still quite short - I never expected to have so many users on this site. Of course it allows to search for a particular user name or location, but it may take a few attempts to find the proper page.

A search function would make the same thing much more comfortable. It could be useful to find e.g. local users (by searching for location=Munich), etc.

Of course, anyone can use any user name here on LCWO. Users can remain completely anonymous if they please, and I do not have any interest in verifying the authenticity of users who use a callsign as their username.

Fabian
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-04-29 15:15
Would it not be better for user's like Colin to spend more time on practicing cw rather than looking up user callsign's in a search engine here?

Your time is more valuable to us user's by you designing software for us to copy cw more efficiently and faster with a shorter learning curve.

There are reasons why guys struggle to learn cw. I see the same guys on this site that never seem to get past Lesson 2.

Why is that?

The Koch method to learn is good but I believe that the new Kurz method is better!

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2011-04-30 16:20
Hi Folks,

I would use the search facility to find fellow cw learners that I have had a QSO with and may be using LCWO, to find others with a common interest in learning cw that may also be local to me. Basicaly to share the common interest of cw and learning via LCWO. Its of pure interest nothing more.

I have not progressed beyong lesson 2 as I do not use this part of LCWO, on the other hand I am addicted to plain text training (nearly 1000 attempts to date).

Thanks primarily to practising with LCWO I have just passed my 12 wpm with my local amature radio club, so thanks Fabian and the other developers for making this possible.

I still find actual cw on air with variable speed and QRM my next hurdle, confidence is slowly gaining.

73's and hope to work fellow LCWO users soon.

Thanks

Colin M1OCN
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-04-30 17:14
Colin,

Be very careful in contacting LCWO members!

I learned the hard way and was scolded on several occasions asking me to not bother them. They prefer to be left alone.

I can help you get better by following these simple steps:

(1) Practice Daily
(2) Try your first practice right after you awake in the morning. Your mind is fresh.
(3) Practice before you go to bed. Some guys do better when a little tired.
(4) Short sessions are better to not overload your brain. It's useless to keep practicing as your scores get worse and worse. Your brain is sending a message to you to stop torturing it.

Be very careful only doing text with no numbers. How re you to carry on an on-air qso when you can't copy the guys callsign with a number or two in it? This is why callsign copy is very good to also do because of its randomness.

There many others but if you religiously follow these, you will get better.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-05-01 14:07
CW is attracting to people that are completely mad, but not yet proven dangerous for their environment, like me, look at my neck tie it has Morse coded "ïdiot" woven in it. A home brew gadget offered at my 50 anniversary by an a(u)nt.

My previous userID was Moron, copied from the description that other people attending this website offered me to describe my personality.

I copy 150 wpm by head plain language, just by starting KOCH on this website with 150 wpm, learning the sounds of K and M. and so on. I succeeded but during the course my wife did suicide, and my children fled home without leaving a contact. So beware of the CW devil is my last advice before performing suicide myself.
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-05-01 15:12
Do you want to go out of this world together?

Only one that has been involved in QRQq for so many years can speak about how it kind of makes a person crazy. I have only been at it a year and it's driving me "mad".

No regrets though; I love the madness. As I get closer to your slow speed of 150wpm, I have noticed that I do strange stuff like:

Wearing no underwear. Taking the dog for a walk at 3 am in the morning when I see people dressed in black breaking into homes and I cheer them on. Going to work in the morning and sitting in my car in the driveway for 8 hours never to leave coming back into the house just in time to eat dinner and go to bed.....

Craig, AH8DX

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $