Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (36)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Top 100 CW words in MP3

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2011-04-24 15:28
Just in case it helps someone else, I took the top 100 words in CW and saved each word as a MP3 file at the speed that I would ultimately like to know (35/20). I saved them to my mp3 player and play the list at random. by default the player spaces the words out to a comfortable spacing.

I guess what I like about it is that potentially I'll be able to recognize words at my speed goal.

contact me if you want the audio files, or do it yourself.

Here are the words I used.

/AR
/AS
/BK
/KN
/SK
A
ABOUT
AGN
ALL
AND
ANT
ARE
AS
AT
BUT
BY
CAN
CQ
DO
DON'T
DX
ES
FB
FOR
FROM
GA
GE
HAD
HAVE
HE
HI
HIS
HR
HW
I
IF
IN
IS
IT
IT'S
JUST
KNOW
MEAN
MY
NAME
NOT
NR
OF
OH
OM
ON
ONE
OR
OTHER
OUT
PSE
PWR
QRL
QRM
QRN
QRQ
QRS
QRZ
QSB
QSY
QTH
R
REALLY
RIGHT
RST
RTU
SO
SOME
THAT'S
THAT
THE
THEM
THERE
THEY
THINK
TNX
TO
TU
UH
UP
WAS
WE
WELL
WERE
WHAT
WHEN
WHERE
WITH
WX
YEAH
YOU
YOUR

[deleted]

Posted: 2011-04-24 16:14
When you are missing words, repeat each word 2 or 3 (or more) times in one mp3 file. Listening to the word after decoding is is also very helpfull.

Posted: 2011-04-24 19:26
That's really a cool service to the HAM community. Thank you.

As I get better at letter recognition, I also have been looking for ways to hear "words" rather than letters.

AA9PW, Simon Twigger has a feature on his web site http://aa9pw.com/morsecode/ that generates random QSO's at user selected character and word speed. And these QSO's use all the most common words.

I have found working with this a big confidence builder. The more I listen to it, the more I am hearing words, especially the ones that are common in QSO's.

Again, THANKS to Fabian for the great website he created. It is a wonderful help, nothing better for learning code. If he had the time, Fabian might want to put a QSO generator on this site, but I know Fabian is really busy. Just want to be helpful.

Steve K6IEA

Posted: 2011-05-18 21:26
Fatherabsinthe - Fat, I did what you suggested and I like it a lot more. Seems like it sinks in a little better hearing it a few times.
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-05-19 11:12
mni tks rprt

Posted: 2011-05-20 00:46
Ive tried!! working with CW is one of the most challenging es rewarding things ive done in 52 yrs. A late bloomer fer sure started about 18 months ago but a bloomer anyways HI. I have tried to go it alone, and beat my head against every wall ive faced. This site has helped me more than anything else ive tried, Fat es da Forum tnx fer all. you all have great strategy and advise. Several days of callsign practice (lots of hours in those several days)and im finally copy at 8 wpm on calls. Slow I know, But cant help but feel this will open a bunch up for me, a major breakthrough fer me.
72 / 73
KC0WMN
[deleted]

Posted: 2011-05-20 08:53
KC0WMN

Hope you did not. but I am afraid you beated your head to hard against the wall.

When you did in 8 days a total of 8 exercises and reached 8 wpm, why not give it a try to do 60 days a total of 60 exercises, and reach 60 wpm.

Posted: 2011-05-24 06:23
Yes, I can attribute most of my recent success to this website as well. Lots of good advice and tools the help drill it in. Finding out that hearing the letters faster forces me to stop counting dits/dahs and just remember the "sound" of the letter. This didn't start happening until 35wpm. I should have started there instead of the 20. I'm seeing quantifiable results now and its gratifying. I may get this!!!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.