Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (21)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Koch Woes

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-10-16 13:21
I've just begun learning CW. My eventual goal is to get on the air and communicate with it. I started learning a week or so ago using http://terrax.org/comm/morsecode/morsegame.aspx I went through the whole regiment and got pretty good with sending. I could take down what it sent, but I could feel that I was thinking my whole way through it. There was nothing reflexive or automatic about what I was doing.

Then I read about the Koch method. I downloaded the software and I began practicing with that. At first I was pretty happy with myself because I could take it all down pretty easy. As I added each letter, I was getting ~90% within a try or two. That is until I got to about 8 or 9 letters. What happened was I was still using a mental lookup table and just saying, "These will be the possible choices, so listen for one of those." After adding that many letters, my brain was looking for too many to keep track of and I would get left behind. I hadn't been building reflexive recognition at all.

So I figured the best thing for me to do would be to speed it up. All the online introductions to Koch said the beauty of it was that you learned at the speed you wanted to learn. So I ramped it up to 25, which is where I want to be and set it back to 2 characters. I can't keep up and I get left behind in each code group and left frazzled so I can't join back in.

So what do I do to ensure that I'm actually learning reflexes and not just trying to overthink it? Where's the middle ground? Should I stay up at a high speed?

Here's to hoping I can join everyone on the waves soon. 73 K
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-10-16 16:36
Put Koch on 25 /10 and start all over again, You only build reflections without thinking at your age at about 30 exercises per lesson. So only proceed to next lesson after 30 exercises and than if and only if 90% OK.

Fat

Posted: 2010-10-16 20:11
I truly appreciate your suggestion! I feel a lot better having some kind of plan of action as opposed to feeling like some kind of failure. :)

I do have a couple of questions. Just to be clear, when you say 25/10, are you saying transmit the letters at 25 WPM speed but an overall sending of 10 WPM?

Also, do you mean 30 exercises @ 5 minutes a piece?

Thanks again

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $