Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (26)

Discussion forum for user group: RufzXP Hints and Tips Group

Thread: New member

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-10-01 02:00
Thanks for letting me in here. I'm really enjoying LCWO and RufzXP. I just discovered these resources for code practice training this year. I used to listen to W4BQF and W9FCX on 40 and 80 meters for training, but I don't hear much QRQ cw on the bands lately.

When I look at graphs of my progress with LCWO and RufzXP, I'm astonished at what a random process my learning (or at least the measurement of my learning) is. However, I'm really pleased that daily practice has pushed me to speeds I would not have thought possible a year ago.

Cheers & 73 to everyone in the group!

Chuck NI0C
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-10-01 21:32
Welcome Chuck...feel free to start any discussion about RufzXP to help our members.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-10-01 22:31
Hi Craig, nice to meet you here. I don't use Excel but I do regularly export my RufzXP scores to Fabian's list at DXWatch: http://www.dxwatch.com/rufzxp/

I like your description of your brain re-wiring itself for a new climb-- that's positive and helpful.

If I'm away for a few weeks (as when I'm on vacation), I see a slight atrophy in my scores; however practicing for a few days brings me back to where I was before.

Here's a list of things I've found helpful:

A stress-free environment (quiet time of day when the phone isn't ringing);

No more than two or three Rufz runs per sitting;

Vigorous exercise; Caffeine;

Using headphones, not a speaker (it took me months to figure that one out!)

Using some high speed word training from this website (one or two runs) just before an Rufz run.

Finally, I try to make sure each new Rufz score is better than my median score. That means my baseline is improving, and in the long run that's what I'm after. If my baseline is increasing, that means I'll eventually spike up to a new personal record. Last night, I was elated because I achieved a new 2nd best score.

Have fun!
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-10-02 00:44
Chuck,

Right On!

Great info and I have similar observations but you did add some knowledge that I must take a look at now.

When you do your high speed warm-up of words on this site. What speed above your comfortable are you talking and what effective speed?

Craig

Posted: 2010-10-02 02:03
Craig,

I'm finding I copy words pretty reliably at 5-10 wpm higher than call signs. When I use word training to warm up for RufzXP, I use a starting speed (around 50 wpm) that will work me up past my comfort speed for call signs by the end of the 25 word run. I try to breeze through the words, without hitting the period key for a repeat, simulating not using the f6 key in RufzXP..

When I'm trying to improve my high score for word training, my strategy is totally different. Then I might use a fixed speed, and I'm careful to request repeats until I'm sure I have the word right. (There seems to be no penalty in word training for requesting repeats, nor does there seem to be a limit to how many repeats one can request).
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-10-02 03:05
Chuck,

It's interesting. You and I seem to have the same zeal for Rufz.

Just this past month I broke myself of the F6 habit I was getting into so YFK told me to stop using it which I did. One less thing to worry about now I guess. What I have noticed is that my elapsed ms times are going down since I move on and take a fast guess at the missed callsign and what is even more amazing is that I don't miss the call by much.

Posted: 2010-10-02 04:45
I'm surprised my friend Bob, W5UX, isn't part of this group. He refers to himself as an Rufz "junkie" on his QRZ.com page.

I've noticed the same thing about those "fast guesses." I do have a hard time totally abandoning the f6, since I'll lose concentration and completely blow a callsign. In that case there's nothing to lose by repeating the call.

Cheers & 73,
Chuck
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-10-02 06:15
Chuck,

If you ever speak to Bob, W5UX; tell him about this group and maybe he will join and we can all get addicted together, Hi.

I thought really hard about that F6 key and after not ever using it for the past month, it is a rythym destroyer. I noticed after analyzing pastattempts that right after I used F6 on a call, I would get the next call also wrong and my elapsed ms time had actually increased for several calls until I got in a rythym again.

So if Rufz is actually training your brain to have fast reflex and let the sound hit the ear to brain to fingers, taking away any conscious thinking is the goal.

So when you hit F6, you actually are causing yourself to think, therefore turning off the servo mechanism which you had turned on when you felt some great rythym nailing call after call after call.

I think! Still trying to figure it all out since just started.

Craig

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.