Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (20)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: 90wpm in sight!

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-09-15 17:28
I told a guy with split personalities on this site that copying callsigns at 90wpm was in site and he called me a liar.

So I had to prove him wrong and make some attempts at 80wpm for starters and I did it.

I also tried some at 90wpm for awhile but no luck.

So copying callsigns at 400CPM, is not 450CPM going to happen?

Nothing more to prove to myself or anyone else. I can do it.

With this said I'm going back to SSB.

GL to everyone!

Craig, AH8DX

SK

Posted: 2010-09-26 14:15
Good for you - except, I'm a terrible CW op and lousy beginner. But I'm tired of SSB. At least the *usual* stuff. But I'll participate in the upcoming CQ WW SSB contest.

i cannot see me ever going back to SSB even if my speed increased to 25 wpm solid copy.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-09-26 15:41
Come on, 90 wpm in sight,
Just in sight as Alfa Centauri is , a bright star more than 4 light years away.

Ran too fast, fly too high.

He once made a run on rufzxp tipping 56 wpm, and never duplicated that.

I agree with you, CW is a splendid mode, it unifies its proficient members, and put part of the communication system in your mind, that proficiency has to be obtained by persistent exercising.

Hence you meet in CW the hams on the band that did do that.
Not John DumbDoe that bought a mike a tranceiver from the Japanese, and a blister packed antenna.

However at present there are guys making world wide CW contests with CWget, they can't copy a single callsign, and do not even recognise their own call in CW.

When you copy 25 wpm solid, you can work everybody without any problem. It is in the higher end of the used speeds on the bands.

Gd luck

Posted: 2010-09-29 23:34
raises an interesting point, I remember reading somewhere about some nets that take place at 50-60wpm; extended QSOs not just a c/s, rpt, name, QTH. Is this true? Does anyone know roughly what freqs? Woould be interested in having a listen (lets hope it doesn't start an inferiority complex...)
Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-30 00:00
In Europe, your best bet is to listen around 25kHz from the lower band edge, i.e. around 3525, 7025, 14025kHz. Also lots of DLs who like to ragchew around 3569kHz and 3556kHz.

When I still had my own 80m antenna at home, I was on the latter frequencies pretty much every night, and there were long QRQ roundtables with participants in the range of 45 to 55 wpm mostly. It has decreased a little over the last few years, but some guys are still there.

Here in EU, the high speed guys all use paddles to transmit, which is the main limitation in speed. In the US it is very common for high speed OPs to use keyboards to transmit, and they regularly have roundtables at 60+wpm, sometimes over 80wpm (see e.g. http://www.k0ru.net/fog/index.html).

Like most OPs, I am very limited by my transmitting skills. I can do 50wpm pretty well, but it takes some effort. If I send 60wpm, it will still be readable, but not fun for either side to send or copy it. So my comfortable QSO speed is somewhere around 40wpm and unlike a few years ago, I am not really interested in pushing it to the pain threshold anymore :-)

Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2010-09-30 00:43
nice one, thanks Fabian, I'll have a listen around there. I too find it more difficult to send accurately than to copy, practice makes perfect though eh!

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $