Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (26)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Callsign training suggestion

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-07-07 02:32
I would like an option for the speed to be fixed (just like you have for word training.) Would it be hard to implement this? Thanks for the great site.
Administrator

Posted: 2010-07-07 09:00
Hi Brandon,

it's a matter of a few minutes to implement that, and I think I'll do it, although it compromises the current highscore list. It's much easier to reach a high score by setting the speed to something slow comfortable and then have 25 calls correct instead of being at your limit and missing every other call.

For that matter, I may just change the scoring completely and make it more similar to RufzXP, where the score is proportional to the speed squared...

At the same time, I will update the callsign database (from my logs) and then add an option to filter out "unusual" calls, stuff like DR12345FOOBAR and DL0KQ5KS (yes, that's legit call). The recent inflationary use of "special" callsigns really added a lot of difficult and long calls to the database.

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2010-07-07 14:12
Fabian,

how about this: using fixed speed will not generate a highscore entry, leaving the speed variable will (same as RufzXP trainer mode and toplist). This would prevent compromising the list and allow training.

While we are at it: How about setting a speed range for training (capping the variable speed to a max level for training). Reason:

I spent the last months with RufzXP on fixed speeds (incrementing manually between attempts) but when I use Toplist mode for training I find myself in speed areas where I have to guess too much for this making sense.

Gruß

Gerd.

Posted: 2010-07-07 23:27
Fabian,

Thanks for your consideration on this. For me, I train for proficiency and not really for high scores. Maybe some do.

Thanks,

Brandon
Administrator

Posted: 2010-07-07 23:41
People are very different :-)

For some it's just training, others are looking for gratification and like to see themselves on top of the scoreboard.

I am not shy to admit that the latter has been a great motivation for me in the past (mostly in RufzXP).

So I just decided to do the following:
Implement
1) a fixed speed option,
2) a filter for "unusual" callsigns (two levels),
3) speed limits.
All of these will mark the scores as ineligible for the highscore list. Personal statistics won't be affected.

73, Fabian DJ1YFK
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-08 01:06
Fabian,

Tnx for your dedication to helping us all out with our cw.

I love callsigns and can't seem to get enough of them.

With the implementation of your new fixed speed callsign trainer can you please suggest a way that we train to maximize our potential with this. An example would be great if you have a little time.

Tnx in advance for your valuable time.

Craig, AH8DX

(Finally, was able to see the re-run of the German match at 2 am here in the states last night and now know what happened to Muller)

Posted: 2010-07-08 17:45
Fabian,

thanks. But... in 2 different browsers I saw on the callsign page speed and min. speed, but no speed limit - also not in CW settings?!?

Gruß

Gerd.
Administrator

Posted: 2010-07-08 17:57
It's still in testing. I implemented the minimum speed about two weeks already. The other features will appear in the next few days.

73, Fabian
Administrator

Posted: 2010-07-08 20:26
Craig,

> With the implementation of your new fixed speed
> callsign trainer can you please suggest a way
> that we train to maximize our potential with
> this. An example would be great if you have a
> little time.

well, I just try to offer as many training options as possible. My personal callsign training has always been in the "competition" mode, i.e. with variable speed and normal callsigns. I never seriously tried training at fixed speeds or with certain character subsets.

I am in the process of writing some longer articles about high speed CW training, and will eventually add a section to LCWO with recommended resources, articles, etc., and users will be encouraged to add their own articles to this collection.

Too bad I am so busy at the moment. Too many ideas, but not enough time. As usual..

73, Fabian DJ1YFK
(who will be at DA0HQ 20m CW this weekend)
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-08 20:51
Fabian,

You are amazing!

I don't know how you do it; keeping up with all of the requests while maintaining all of the other busy duties in you daily life.

A great compliment to your parents for teaching you how to be a gentleman in all that you do.

I will keep watching this site for all updates and info.

Craig
Administrator

Posted: 2010-07-09 18:37
Tnx :-)

Changes in Callsign training now implemented:

* Option for maximum speed
* Option for fixed speed
* Filters for callsigns:
- Default: No filter
- Filter 1 removes "long" calls (like DL60DARC)
- Filter 2 also removes slashed calls

73, Fabian DJ1YFK
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-07-09 18:38
@AH8DX: Yes, at the other end of a life span, longer already than the average, I agree.
Learning becomes difficult, but persistent exercising becomes easier, and that compensates, but obviously not sufficient.

But don't forget: for one person he needs his 12 year old son for connecting a new mouse to his computer, for the other due to more brains, he does in the same time 100 times the work himself.

Posted: 2015-11-23 14:59
dj1yfk:
* Filters for callsigns:
- Default: No filter
- Filter 1 removes "long" calls (like DL60DARC)
- Filter 2 also removes slashed calls

Please could the "long" calls option filter out oddities like "VU7LD/VU2PAI" and double-slashed calls like "SV9/HA4XG/P", both of which are more than 10 characters long. (The example "DL60DARC" is only 8 characters, so both those are longer, overall.)

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $