Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (32)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Citation

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-03-16 21:37
« You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this ? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat. »

Albert Einstein
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-16 22:20
Vincent (F0CYA),

I love it!

I was having a terrible day until I read your post. Thanks for cheering me up.

Recently as I have been gaining speed, I am having difficulty confusing the letter (E) with the number (5), can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?

From your friend on the other side of the pond,

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-16 22:41
« The code is the world's easiest 'language'. It has only 26 words. Who here can't learn 26 new words in one night ? When a person learns a new language, he doesn't think about how each word is spelled, or how many letters are in each word. He thinks about how the word sounds, and what it means, The same goes for learning Morse code. Each letter has a sound and a meaning. That's all one needs to know. »

Steve Katz, WB2WIK
Administrator

Posted: 2010-03-16 22:47
> I was having a terrible day

Ha, sounds familiar :-)

> Recently as I have been gaining speed, I am
> having difficulty confusing the letter (E) with
> the number (5), can you please tell me what I
> am doing wrong?

That's interesting, as I never had that problem. At very high speeds, my main problems are mirrored letters and figures. 1 vs. 9, 2 vs. 8, Q vs Y. Not exactly sure why, but it may be because at these speeds you copy the characters in the frequency-domain rather than in the time-domain, and the mirrored characters, integrated over a short period of time (i.e. at very high speeds), show the same spectrum...

Who knows :-)

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

Posted: 2010-03-16 22:50
Fabian, are you a Z transform machine ?

73, Vincent F0CYA.
Administrator

Posted: 2010-03-16 23:06
No. I am a non-deterministic system of some unknown kind :-)

73, Fabian Dj1YFK

Posted: 2010-03-16 23:21
The solution of your problem is the correlation, intercorrelation and autocorrelation of discret signal.

QRT, Vincent F0CYA.

Posted: 2010-03-17 18:33
> I am having difficulty confusing the letter (E) with the number (5)

Craig,
try code group training with custom characters and choose to include only the characters you mix up most (I choose 4..6 characters usually).

Don't be disappointed if you have to decrease speed initially.

Regards,

Gerd.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 19:30
@f0cya
Hearing of analog signals is not a sampled data system. Laplace is a far better choice :-)There are phase differences in the spectrum by shifting in the time domain the dits en dahs, may be that a stereo channel in Fabians headphone could help.

Posted: 2010-03-17 20:39
Hi digibeet,

Stereo channels ... dot left & dash right ?

If this is going to see at this address :

http://fkurz.net/ham/stuff.html#stereocw

Fabian is an interesting study on this.

But maybe I did not correctly translate your words ;(

Otherwise about discrete or continuous signals, I agree with you is the brain is in continuous domain. My reference to the discrete domain is related to the Z transform :-)
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 20:46
No, no, that does not work and has no sense. When you listen on the band, and you make the IF 90 degree out of phase, and the BFO also, then when you mix the pairs you get and add or substract them, yields left and right channel audio, left and right from your zero beat frequency in the radio spectrum.
Put that in the left and right earcup of your head phone and you know what I mean.

Fabian indicated that he was detecting the spectrum; that is the natural way to listen to sound, due to the way the transducer from mechanical sound to nerve signals located behind your ears work. When you look at the spectrum of dits and dahs and you shift them in time, the resultant in the spectrum is a shift in phase.

Hence, may be that the power spectrum distribution of morse Q en Y are the same, it is not so for the phase. To detect the phase you need 2 channels. Left and right.

Posted: 2010-03-17 20:48
So I translate wrong again ...
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 20:59
No problem, but I wonder what you will do with a Z transform in an analog system, where as far I understand there is no sampling involved.

Posted: 2010-03-17 21:06
Incidentally, for the detection phase, the psk uses an interesting method by shifting the samples of a duration equivalent to a 1 bit (well I think), and multiplies the samples not shifted and shifted.

Following this phase is determined by the sign of the product.

---

Vincent F0CYA, a man who learns every day.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 21:16
When you want to learn everyday, pick your coursebook that is far better than reading forums for acquiring the right knowledge which leads to insight. Coursebooks are constructed in such a way that they lead you by the right way to knowledge, with in between exercises to fix and master the intermediate steps.

I am afraid you are confusing the fast fourier transform, or posseble the Hilbert transform. A fourier transform needs a multiplication with a sine and a cosine. When you do that for sampled signals you can do it handy by providing that on the sampling moments the sines and cosines are just -1 1 or 0.

--

Posted: 2010-03-17 21:21
I think there was confusion between us. I just want to talk about the phase of a signal and not a Fourier transform. Again the language barrier !

But do not worry, I accept your comments :)

---

Vincent F0CYA, a man misunderstood.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 21:55
Vincent (F0CYA),

I now know that there is a language barrier!

In your posts, when you use quotes from pieces of work by other authors, I do understand but...

... I do not understand anything you are talking about when you do not use quotes.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-17 22:05
It's amazing to have so much badness.

« C'est incroyable d'avoir autant de méchanceté. »
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 22:08
See, you just proved my point.

I think you are using electrical engineering terms that I do not understand. My college major was in business and now I am a businessman running a small corporation.

Why does everything I say seem to offend you?

BTW, keep working hard on your cw; we will both get there some day.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-17 22:19
Share your knowledge. Stop your remarks.

Exactly, I am not a native English speaker.
I know my weaknesses, my enormous gaps.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 22:29
OK, I was just having fun with you.

If you are in Poland in early October, I will shake your hand and buy you a drink.

Have a great evening.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-17 22:32
I do not understand English humor, I have not the necessary level, sorry :)
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-17 22:56
incompatibilité d'humeur

Posted: 2010-03-20 12:44
No time for joking in between. Very often having too less time to write my cw lessons
73's
jack

Posted: 2010-03-20 12:50
refresh my cw knowledge is hard labour in good and bad days
jack.

Posted: 2010-03-20 13:31
Don't bother Jack DJ7PA,

F0CYA is copying words here with 37wpm and AH8DX is copying call signs with 52 wpm.

Double your speed, then you have also half your time left for joking.

Posted: 2010-03-20 22:25
hi,
73's
jack

Posted: 2010-03-20 22:29
doubling 27/11 to 27/22? Will take some time !!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 2010-03-21 02:24
« Because we do not understand the brain very well we are constantly tempted to use the latest technology as a model for trying to understand it. In my childhood we were always assured that the brain was a telephone switchboard. ('What else could it be?') I was amused to see that Sherrington, the great British neuroscientist, thought that the brain worked like a telegraph system. Freud often compared the brain to hydraulic and electro-magnetic systems. Leibniz compared it to a mill, and I am told some of the ancient Greeks thought the brain functions like a catapult. At present, obviously, the metaphor is the digital computer. »

John R. Searle

Posted: 2010-03-21 21:19
It is just the design of a model. The purpose of a model is to be able to predict behavior. Does not matter whether pure mathematical, of switchboard or what have you.

The greek model, which one? Hipporatic, Platonic or
Hemeric model?
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-24 08:04
I believe this question was directed to Vincent (F0CYA) and I am also awaiting his answer to the question as I also would like to know and learn the answer.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-26 02:08
« Opposition is not necessarily enmity; it is merely misused and made an occasion for enmity. »

Sigmund Freud
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-26 11:46
@f0cya: Quod erat demonstrandum?

Anotherone of Sigmund Freud:

I have found little that is "good" about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all. That is something that you cannot say aloud, or perhaps even think.

Sigmund Freud

We better talk about exercising CW, the reason for existence of this web site and the reason for logging in here. I hope you will agree. 88

Posted: 2010-03-28 04:40
Hi Digibeet,

I am glad that someone post a quote, this is the reason for this section. Of course the other topics have different possible sections.

As you can notice, I posted some quotes to telegraphic character.

Of course my last post is in response to my comments to Craig AH8DX. My remarks to this person have caused a reaction too fast and some translation errors.

I wish once more to make a public apology, as you can see I avoids now write in the English language, it avoids many hassles to someone who can identify.

My last post is off topic but I react to my comments earlier.

For information and compliance, now I only speak telegraph!

---

Your last message is interpreted in a wrong way. Your sentences are from letter between Freud and Pfister. Freud and Pfister disagree about the sexual theory & ethics. Pfister defines sex & ethics as metaphysics and Freud ironically indicates that religion is an illusion.

The letter :

Dear Dr Pfister,

I have now read through your little book and I can well believe the pleasure with which you wrote it. It has a gladdening warmth and demonstrates all the fine qualities which we so value in you; your enthusiasm, your integrity, and love of humanity, your courage and candour, your understanding and also-your optimism.

It will undoubtedly render us good service, if we are to mention such practical considerations; as you know, we generally pay little regard to them.

Well, praise can always be brief, but criticism has to be more long-winded. One thing I dislike is your objection to my 'sexual theory and my ethics'. The latter I grant you; ethics are remote from me, and you are a minister of religion. I do not break my head very much about good and evil, but I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter

---

Vincent F0CYA, finally a wiser man.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.