Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (28)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Good Days and Bad Days!

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 16:54
Fellow HST Enthusiast,

I am looking for opinions on whether it is best to keep on practicing on days where the brain just isn't up to the task to preform?

I'm talking about those days where it doesn't seem to matter at which speeds the call signs are being sent, many mistakes are being made. Some days, I have awoke from a nice sleep and sat down to copy and find out that it just isn't my day. I come back to the computer at different parts of the day and the same. In the past when this has happened, I have continued to just practice code. Currently I spend about four hours per day practicing and try a few times during the day at the 50 call sign test.

I am curious if I should just take a break away from any code at all on those days when it seems hopeless or just keep on persisting?

Keep up the hard work everyone,

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-03 17:30
Craig,

It doesn't hurt to keep going. I found a break once in a while, maybe one or two days a month, is refreshing. But that happens nomally, such as when you have other engagements and can't practice. A long break isn't very good, you do loose a little. The bottom line: stay with it, even if it's just a few minutes a day.

Bill
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 19:44
O yes,

Try if you want an experiment. When you ever get the question you are asking now, then you know the answer by experience.

Please report here your results.

The experiment:
Stop for 3 days in a sequence with ANY morse activity. Try your normal exercises on the fourth day and report here your results please.

Afterall in just 2 month you climbed from an average of 30 wpm to 41 wpm, you can expect to reach avg 50 wpm in the beginning of
May.

Forcing by putting your starting speed at 50 wpm has no sense, it pulses your score to the bottom.

You can experiment with the starting speed, lower speed yields less points per call but you make less errors and reach your top speed later in the 25 range.
Suppose you start at top speed and the first call is OK, the next is top+1 and fails the third is top etc, that yields 12 calls right on topspeed. When you start lower, let we say topspeed -25, you have all your calls right that yields 25 times (topspeed-12)

12*topspeed < 25*topspeed -300 if topspeed>24 wpm

I am watching you.

Posted: 2010-03-03 19:56
Hello Craig,

Like you, most of us have the same problems.
For optimal learning, I recommend sessions of 30 minutes, 2 times a day, morning and evening.

If you want some advice, I recommend reading the book by Bill N0HFF calling itself "The Art & Skill of Radio Telegraphy". In this book you will find all the answers to your questions about learning and its methods.

PDF version : http://www.qsl.net/n9bor/n0hff.htm

---

Vincent F0CYA, France.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 20:05
Digibeet,

:)

OK, deal. You got it. I am already on my 4th hour today of intense practice so I must start the 3 days off trial tomorrow. So my Sunday will be my first day to sit down at LCWO and try for a solid run of 50 callsign copy. Do you suggest I start after I awake or when I awake to get my mind ready by doing RUFZ for twenty minutes or so?

I'm ready to do this! Watch me!

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 20:17
Lcwo runs are 25 call signs.

do not start at 50 wpm, try to comprehend my example calculation. The premisse is that a guy fail each call 1 wpm above his topspeed and copy it succesfull on topspeed and every lower speed. A theoretical case, that give more comprehension of what happens. That example shows how to maximise your score.

Speed to average 50 wpm takes you 2 month extra.
Also at that speed there is an optimum starting speed, that depends on the probability of missing a call at each speed.

There are two things: reaching your goal with the minimum practice time possible

and reaching your goal as fast as possible regardless of the number of hours practicing each day. The last one is your goal.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 20:25
I understand, wish me luck.

Take care,

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 20:29
do not smuggle with morse those three days, do what you want but NO morse.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 20:37
I don't think I can go three days of no code. I think I will have withdrawals just thinking about it.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 20:56
In the days of trains driven by steam engines, sometimes the engineer needs a burst of power. They did that by putting a few pales of water in the fire. You wouldn't believe that works unless you understand it. The heat of the fire heats the water to steam the steam and the glowing coal react to carbon monoxide CO and H2 and the coal cools fast down. Immediately that gases fires and yields a lot of heat. The accumulated heat that the glowing coal contains was taken off immediately in a pulse and used to heat the kettle.

No morse code in 3 days permitted. Not a dit
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-03 21:16
Not a dit.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-03 22:27
Hi guys,

Could you explain why none of the students present on this site is commentary on the book by Bill N0HFF.

But this book delivers the necessary keys to learning telegraphy, to acquire a speed above 60 words per minute, moving the copy to listen ...

Why ?

---

Vincent F0CYA, France.

Posted: 2010-03-03 22:45
Vincent
It is a more than well known file/book and every principle and more is used in building this website.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-04 04:27
Vincent,

I will take a look but the title did not appeal to me when I first read your post a couple days ago. The title of a book is suppose to have you so interested, that you would run down to the local bookstore and purchase a copy.

For me, my goal is to start attending the HST Championships but I WILL NOT attend one until I am up around 100 wpm so as you can see I have a long ways to go but I also have come a long ways since I just joined in early January. I have worked hard practicing 4 hours per day with no missed days so far.

Title's of interest to me would be more like:

(Tips & Tricks to Copy 100 wpm)
(The Inside Secrets to Gain Top Scores on RufzXP)
(Looking Into The Minds of High Speed CW Operators)

These above books, I would be rushing down to my local bookstore.

I mean, who needs books on high speed cw, when you have guys like Digibeet?

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-04 08:58
memorizing the morse code is not enough.. FAMILIARIZE it.. thank u.

Posted: 2010-03-04 12:17
Hello Guys,
I don't need those books. I only need lcwo.net and practice.
73'
Jack.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-04 15:13
AMEN Jack!

I'm on a little 3 day holiday right now and can't wait to start practicing again.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-04 18:10
Hi guys,
Hello Craig,
Hello Digibeet,

Firstly I congratulate you for the enthusiasm that you provide to access such a speed!

Craig, now that I know your levels in telegraphy, I understand that my comments are irrelevant. But I can not help but recommend this book, for me, being the only amateur radio within a radius of 100 km, transmitting on the VHF only (this involves no telegraph to my door), does not have guardian in this mode of transmission, this book is my way marked!

Here I finished ... hi

PS: Perhaps I did not understand, but the book in question is free of copyright, so feel free to download legally.

---

Vincent F0CYA

Posted: 2010-03-04 18:58
F0CYA
in your grid J00tm is the qth of 2 registered hams, thats less than 5 km.

Posted: 2010-03-04 19:06
JO00tm I mean. and the square south of you is another one, less than 5 km.

Sparky21
Thanks for your posting. Will you please tell more about your experience?
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-04 19:44
EXPERIMENT BEING CONDUCTED!
FINDINGS WILL BE POSTED ON SUNDAY.

Therefore, if you want to talk about a subject other than the experiment, please start a different thread.

Tnx,

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-04 21:20
Today my wife asked me why I wasn't practicing morse code?

She asked why I am giving up since I have made excellent progress since practicing every day for hours since January 6th.

I told her this guy told me to stop for three days. She asked now why would you do that?

I repied by saying that I would let her know on Sunday when I listen to my first dit after three days of not even hearing a dit.

Now that's funny!

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-04 21:52
For information the two hams in this coordinate (JO00TM) are me and my father (Patrick F4CVT). The third operator of my community is died.

---

Vincent F0CYA, France.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-05 00:33
Pretty cluttered here with off topic chitchat.

A guy was exercising each day with athletics. His feet were wounded bij overloading and they did not get the necessary time for rest and healing due to the heavy training scheme.

When he did not excercise for a period, his feet were healed, and when starting again training, that restperiod turned out to be the reason for the sudden increase in performance.

The same is valid for brainwork.

With 4 hours a day training there is after 2 months a lot of work to do in the house, painting, repairing, gardening etc. We know that.

Sunday is the time to suddenly start over again with rufzxp, not here, because rufzxp has a fine granulation in performance measurement.

In the past a program was distributed to make a graphic of the rufzxp personal scoreboard, don't know what happens.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-05 00:48
Vincent is so worried about which grid square he lives in, he is ignoring what is truly being talked about on this particular thread to keep focus.

With this being said, we all know that he is waisting valuable practice time yet he cannot understand why he stays at 10 wpm.

I think he should start his own thread called "Rare Grid Squares of the World".

What do you think?

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-03-05 17:48
Hello,

To me this thread of discussion is over, I do not understand how this conversation went from ... learn how ... to ... square grid ... ??

And above all, do not get involved this word derives ... My first topic of conversation is learning ...

---

F0CYA Vincent, France.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-05 18:28
Vincent (F0CYA),

No problem Vincent, don't worry about it.

We are all trying to achieve the same goal and that is learning the code at speeds that our ears, minds and bodies are capable of.

Unfortunately, if all of us do not try to keep the subjects of individual threads in perspective the thread gets all over the place and readers give up reading because the thread turns into mush.

Take care and keep working hard at your cw.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-06 17:44
Not being able to study or listen to the code is almost unbearable on my second day off for rest of a three day rest period.

I'm fighting off the urge to smuggle a little code today. Last night I awoke from a sleep where I had dreamt about the letter (H).

Why (H)?

Stay tuned!

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-06 18:08
Now that I think about it, I don't know if it was an H or 5.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-07 18:00
Today is Sunday!

I have practiced callsign training for four hours per day for two months straight.

I took my first rest of three days off since signing up on this site, January 6th, 2010.

Now today, March 7th, 2010, I start my intense training again with the goal of averaging 50 wpm by the Month of May. The past two months have yielded me an increase of 10+ wpm sitting in the low 40's right now average.

Stay tuned! I will post my findings here as I progress along and will let you know if this three day rest period worked.

I do feel a little rusty right now though as I listened to my first dits this morning.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-07 22:51
I have just practiced for five hours and am getting tired but something is definitely going on and it is for the positive. Though I did not hit a personal best today, I did copy a call at 52 wpm (which does give me a personal high wpm copied on this site) Scores with a few trys today at different times of day have been hovering around 4000+ so I can feel something big about ready to happen this week.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-09 16:55
Tuesday

I have been in practice mode and would have thought by now after the three days rest that I would really be cranking by now but just can't seem to get in the zone. I am still struggling in the low 40's even though my graph has an upward trend.

Since I am not in the zone yet, I will not attempt at the 25 call sign exercise. I have been over also practicing in Rufz and am not doing well there also.

Yesterday, I pushed myself for about 7 hours of practice and it may have been too much.

I must learn to have more patience and I am confident that any day soon I will have a breakout day.

73 for now,

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-03-12 00:18
Something magical happened when I was listening to call signs at 60 wpm today (Thursday). I have concluded that the 3 days off was very much needed and now is put into my weekly practice regiment.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-04-05 10:42
well you damaged your brain, which now needed recovery,hi. You didn't visit a hospital?
jack

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.