Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (26)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Extra characters between groups in lesson 1

Back to the Forum

AuthorText
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-22 13:55
As I understand it, the first (Koch) lesson should use only K and M, but I'm most definitely also hearing a number og things that confuse me.

I've more or less worked out that there's a series of .-.-. symbols before the test string, but between groups I can recognise as containing K and M I also hear groups containing other characters, and they're not ones that can be explained by running K and M together. What's going on?

I'm using Firefox 3.5 on Mac OS X and Flash Player 10.

Cheers,
Rick

Posted: 2010-02-22 14:10
You can start the series with vvv, that is done in order to give you sufficient time to get your hand on the keyboard. You can switch this off in your settings, als you like.

Then are there prosigns (procedural signs) which announce the start of a transmission and the ceasing.
Start is -.-.- and stop is .-.-.

They are not halfway the transmission, only at start and stop. FCC exams use them too, so it is good not to panic and get used to them.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-22 14:10
This seems to be Firefox-specific. Safari does the right thing.

Posted: 2010-02-22 14:22
Rick
Ypu have an option of MP3 and flash players. It is NOT firefox, sure not.
When you put your mouse cursor during play of the lesson on "link to MP3 file" you can see in the underside of your screen the text of the lesson.

Just tried it it is not _._._ but -...- for some strange reason the lesson starts with -...- which is an equal sign. Also used as prosign to separate paragraphs or subjects in a message.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-02-22 18:10
I did some digging. I had the frequency set to random. For some reason, when Firefox 3.5 is involved (on my Mac, anyway) something is fooling the system, and it translates directly to morse the codes which should be telling the system what frequency to use, so I was hearing the morse for (say) "|f532" between one group and the next.

As I said, Safari works correctly (so I'm guessing Firefox is diddling with the characters it sends to the .swf, perhaps in a misguided attempt at XSS-protection?), so I'm using Safari instead.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.