Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (15)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: TX training

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2023-02-20 15:23
how does this work? What does ratio mean? Should I try to match effective speed with set speed? Its a fantastic training tool , advice on how best to use it greatly appreciated

Posted: 2023-02-22 17:24
He frank and welcome to the forum.
I think by "ratio" you may be referring to the format like 15/5. Is that correct?
If so, it refers to the overall speed of a CW lesson as (per bottom number) 5 Words Per Minute / WPM, but spread out and the characters sent a little faster. Each individual letter and number may be sent at a speed of 15 WPM, but the entire message is spaced out so that overall, the speed the whole message is sent is only 5 WPM.

This reflects the general trend in CW instruction which recognizes that for many people they can learn the characters even if they are sent at a fast rate, but then followed by spacing that limits the entire message to be slowed down to a 5 WPM speed.

Posted: 2023-02-22 23:21
I think the "Ratio" in "TX training" means in fact the proportion between dahs and dits (dashes and dots) in your sending.

Bruce is talking about so called Farnsworth spacing between characters. In LCWO (for example in "Change CW settings") this one is described as "Effective Speed" being lower than character speed. I have never seen it described as "ratio" but I'm sure I haven't seen it all yet.

Greg

Posted: 2023-02-22 23:46
48pod:
how does this work? What does ratio mean?

What "ratio" Frank ?

48pod:
Should I try to match effective speed with set speed?

yup - and learn at the speed you want to use 20wpm OK; 25wpm the old pro speed; 30wpm - your mum,dad,brother,sister,friend does that . .

If that doesn't work out then look at Farnsworth . . . but give it a go first.

48pod:
Its a fantastic training tool , advice on how best to use it greatly appreciated

Aptitude turns out to be the main issue. Drive and commitment and determination next.

If you have lower aptitude ( i.e. you are a normal person ) drive and determination and commitment are then the new most important.

So, decide you are going to do this.

Practice every day. Is 15 mins twice a day too much time for you?

Don't overdo it - several short sessions instead of one long session.

Don't move on to the next lesson too soon - it needs to sink in properly.

Too slow you waste a bit of time - too fast you are running on short term memory and will stall at lesson 12(ish) and get disillusioned and maybe give up for a few years.

You learn by repetition until it becomes automatic - like driving - even a stick-shift.

Ideally you want to have the letters popping into your mind as you hear code without having to think what they are.

Don't give up - ever - just keep going at it.

Let us know how you are getting on.

YMMV as ever

Good luck - if you need that.

CB

Posted: 2023-02-23 00:11
Chris. You cannot drive automatic with a stick-shift. I drive both so I know. :)

BTW. I guess Frank is most likely talking only about the "TX training" tool in LCWO. Not about learning Morse code in general. Judging from the "Thread" anyway. Otherwise your advice is always greatly appreciated.

Posted: 2023-02-23 01:49
greg7650:
Chris. You cannot drive automatic with a stick-shift. I drive both so I know. :)

One arm and a leg each vehicle maybe ;-)

greg7650:

BTW. I guess Frank is most likely talking only about the "TX training" tool in LCWO. Not about learning Morse code in general. Judging from the "Thread" anyway.

Oh yes. I still don't see ratio.

Nonag will probably know . . .

greg7650:
Otherwise your advice is always greatly appreciated.

Well, we just repeat the same every year, and it's available all over.

I think TX generally proves easier than RX; probably because you can go at your speed and there is no QRM/N QLF etc and no decoding to do.

Posted: 2023-02-23 02:51
cb:
Oh yes. I still don't see ratio.
Nonag will probably know . . .

Nonag knows everything! ;)

Seeing the ratio is even easier than driving stick-shift automatically. Just click on the "Key" field. You should hear a beep and the subtitle:
"Speed: 8WpM"
will change into:
"Speed: 8WpM; Ratio: N.N; eff. Speed: NN"
and there you are.

cb:
Well, we just repeat the same every year, and it's available all over.

Yeah, but it is still very nice that you repeat it. People need personalized encouragement. It is so tough getting on without no advice whassoever after learning all 41 chars. I know 'cus I do.

cb:
I think TX generally proves easier than RX; probably because you can go at your speed and there is no QRM/N QLF etc and no decoding to do

True, but TX is also supposed to be good for learning head copy. Something about combining the sound with body rhythm. There were threads about it on this forum.

Posted: 2023-02-23 14:00
greg7650:

Seeing the ratio is even easier than driving stick-shift automatically. Just click on the "Key" field. You should hear a beep and the subtitle:

Ah I see now. I never bothered with it.

So, it is telling you if your dahs are three times as long as your dits or not.

Nonag never had all this to help him in 1935. It was just listen on the air . .

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.