Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (22)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Using iambic paddles with TX TRAINING program

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2023-01-14 23:58
Dear Mr. Fabian Kurtz (or anybody who may answer my question). In relation to the TX training program. I would very much like tu use iambic paddles instead of straight key. I have a USB interface for my paddles but no sound comes out of the program. Are there any settings some place I am missing? Or is it just that the program does not support paddles, just straight key input? Thank you so much in advance for your kind answer, or anyone's answer.

Posted: 2023-01-15 19:05
The application is not mean to support either paddles or straight keys. It is supposed to use either the space bar or the left click of a mouse. You'd have to re-map the contacts from the paddles to a short and a long click. How you do this is another matter and it is not relevant to a web application.

Posted: 2023-01-16 00:35
oc - Thank you for the prompt answer. Not relevant. I see. Illustrative. Strange enough, I am writing on it with a straight key. Makes me think. Kind regards.

Posted: 2023-01-16 11:34
How are "writing on it with a straight key"? What are you writing and on what?

Posted: 2023-01-16 12:33
If you can only use a straight key, then to run a set of paddles using the same connection you ALSO need an electronic keyer.

Often these are built in to the paddles or the rig - but if not then you need to buy or make one.

eg.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144168113525?hash=item219116d575:g:D0wAAOSwWplfUVtW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162399927432

http://www.hamgadgets.com/PICOKEYER-PLUS

cb

Posted: 2023-01-16 17:15
cb - Thank you very much. Much more illustrative and helpful. I do sincerely appreciate your answer and will be digging into it and see if I am able to connect my paddles to the TX training program. 73.

oc - No need to insist in that direction. Thank you. 73.

Posted: 2023-01-16 17:29
cb - a keyer won't help here. The web page requires pressing the mouse over the big button "key" or alternatively the spacebar.

A keyer will generate the sounds and the click but how would you feed the input of the page?

The web page could be rewritten to accept two inputs: One key for the dits and one for the dahs ) for example the key "b" and "n". Then one would emulate a paddle. But how you remap the output of the paddle to the these two keys is not an easy task.

The straight key might work if attached to a usb mouse. Maybe a paddle could reuse both left and right clicks?

EDIT: On Linux you can remap the left and the right click to two different keys. Not sure if this is possible with other OSes.

Posted: 2023-01-16 17:36
This was also requested here:
https://lcwo.net/forum/858

but no action was taken.

Vband support this but I have never tried it myself.

Posted: 2023-01-16 18:08

oc:
cb - a keyer won't help here. The web page requires pressing the mouse over the big button "key" or alternatively the spacebar.

A keyer will generate the sounds and the click but how would you feed the input of the page?

The web page could be rewritten to accept two inputs: One key for the dits and one for the dahs ) for example the key "b" and "n". Then one would emulate a paddle. But how you remap the output of the paddle to the these two keys is not an easy task.

The straight key might work if attached to a usb mouse. Maybe a paddle could reuse both left and right clicks?

EDIT: On Linux you can remap the left and the right click to two different keys. Not sure if this is possible with other OSes.

Well I didn't quite understand if he has a straight key with a functional USB interface or not,

but I guess someone will make one up at some point, so when I read :-

EA1FKO:

I am writing on it with a straight key

I answered that . .

Maybe he altered a mouse or connected to the space-bar or other keys on an old keyboard . . .

cb

Posted: 2023-01-16 21:03
A straight key is just a glorified switch. Mapping it to a key on the keyboard is trivial. Just unwire an old mouse and rewire it back. Put the cursor over the big button, done.

A paddle is also a switch but it's a double switch. No keyer is required to map it to two keys, but in this case you probably need a serial port rather than a USB port. Unless you want to use the paddle as a cootie key.

I don't use the TX training on this site. I know there are programs for Windows that accept input from a serial port, hence also a paddle, and work as a digital keyer. I have been looking for a program on Linux and haven't found any.

Posted: 2023-01-16 21:36

Some people program arduino Teensys etc (using the USB) to emulate a USB keyboard AND an iambic keyer, so because
the keyer knows what it "sent" and can also send the key press as if it was a keyboard.

You need to wire the paddle to the correct pins . .

eg.
https://www.nycresistor.com/2012/02/20/morse-code-keyboard/usb-iambic-morse-keyboard/
https://www.golb.be/usb-morse-key-keyboard-input/

No good if you don't want text out though.

We await a USB standard morse device . .

Posted: 2023-01-16 22:12
Hello Manuel,

do you have an amateur radio (station)?
Then it is very simple to set it up for CW training.

73 Rüdiger DD5RK

Posted: 2023-01-17 11:32
DD5RK - Yes, I do. It's just that I love this LCWO page and wanted to use my iambic keyer on the TX training screen. I am using a few other online and PC-based local CW programs to practice my CW. As Fabian Kurz puts it: "This Morse decoder is highly experimental but I am glad about any feedback or suggestions in the forum. If it proves to work well, it will eventually become part of a Morse chat function here on LCWO.net." And that's, precisely, what I was attempting: Suggesting an upgrade so that the program may settle with iambic keying. Thanks so much Rüdiger for your kind help.

cb - Yes, the interface between my straight key and the TX training program is an old, modified mouse. (As George Clooney puts it: "What else...?").

To all of you who have taken the time to answer my question: I am new to CW. As a former Doctor, I know nothing about electronics. I probably used the term "paddles" instead of the correct term "iambic keyer" and that has proved to mislead some of you in formulating your answers. I sincerely apologize. At the time of writing I wrongly believed that "paddles" was synonymous to "iambic keyer".

In answer to cb - Being a neophyte in whatever has to do with the world of electronics (and CW in general), just say that it took me two weeks to understand how to connect a straight keyer to a PC keying progranm via an old mouse. And it took me a whole week-end to solder a pair of wires to the old mouse. Once the three-week project was up and running, I felt like Archimedes shouting "Eureka!" although my wife prevented me from running naked through the streets of my town. What took me three long weeks of my life surely takes you five minutes of routine, tedious task. Therefore, when you point me to
https://www.nycresistor.com/2012/02/20/morse-code-keyboard/usb-iambic-morse-keyboard/
or to
https://www.golb.be/usb-morse-key-keyboard-input/
and I come to read things like
"Connect the black jumper wire to the ground pin of the teensy, and the red to “pin 7”. For info: “pin 7” is not the seventh pin of the Teensy. First pin is ground, second pin is “pin 0”, third pin is “pin 1”, etc…"... my left eyelid starts to tick, my heart rate jumps over and beyond "pin 7" and my blood pressure soars the waves at Tarifa. ("The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part.") Nevertheless, you (and the rest of you) have taken the time to answer and I deeply appreciate your help which conforts me in my aim at learning CW code within a reasonable ten-year time lapse.

That said, at this stage I do believe that suggesting connection of an iambic key to LCWO's fascinating web program is way out of my scope. So, just one last appreciation: my modest suggestion may, with time, lead many newcomers hoping to join Fabian's project of setting-up a "Morse chat function here on LCWO.net" into asking over and again about the subject (iambic keying within the projected chat). So, if you would all care to explain youselves about how to get about it in plain language so that newcomers like I should eventually manage to connect an iambic keyer to the program without great fuss, it will serve future CW learners using this web-page in great measure. So, if you would all care to go ahead with the project, be "Fabian Kurz's guest".

Thanks to all. 73 & 55.

Posted: 2023-01-17 12:48
EA1FKO:
DD5RK

snip

cb - Yes, the interface between my straight key and the TX training program is an old, modified mouse. (As George Clooney puts it: "What else...?").

snip

I probably used the term "paddles" instead of the correct term "iambic keyer" and that has proved to mislead some of you in formulating your answers.
I sincerely apologize. At the time of writing I wrongly believed that "paddles" was synonymous to "iambic keyer".

snip

That said, at this stage I do believe that suggesting connection of an iambic key to LCWO's fascinating web program is way out of my scope.

"Paddles" is the physical bit - iambic comes from the electronics into which it is plugged - most rigs have it built in.

Note there is a single paddle called a side swiper among other names - which is a side to side manual key - not iambic.

If you get one of these http://www.hamgadgets.com/PICOKEYER-PLUS PicoKeyer-Plus BUILT
then
you can connect your paddles to the input and connect the output across your straight key and both will work - the keyer being just a switch.

cb

Posted: 2023-01-17 15:24
Hello Manuel,

I use my IC-7300 (transceiver) or XIEGU-G90 in practice mode.
i.e. I turn off BKIN and use the built-in keyer as a tone generator. No HF is sent.
Hence the question of whether you have an amateur radio station.

The headphone connection of the radio is connected to the PC via line-in with a standard 3,5mm audio cable.

I use fldigi to decode the Morse code.
Should work on all operating systems.

The key(s) is connected to the radio also with an standard 3,5mm audio cable and adapter to 6mm in the radio.
This works perfectly with all key types.

I have straight key Junker, BUG Vibroplex, BUG Himound BK100, Begali HST Mark3 Paddle/Cootie and a Chinese iambic paddle. You can connect all keys via a 3,5mm audio hub in parallel.

For straight key, bug and cootie, the keyer in the IC7300 must be set to "Straight". For the paddle, of course, on "Paddle".

This can be done with any modern HF amateur radio.
This works perfectly.
You see your sending as letters and you can record, to listen afterwards.

For the connection of key to radio, you cut a standard
3,5 mm audio cable in two parts and connect the cut part to your key, according to the documentation of your radio.

have fun
see you on air

73 Rüdiger DD5RK

Posted: 2023-01-17 15:53
DD5RK - Thanks Rüdiger. I own a XIEGU-G90. Yes, I can hear my own clicking on it, whether straight or iambic, on local (CW light in red). I am at present trying to figure out how to connect XIEGU to fldigi. I believe I have to buy some gadject, connector of some type. In the end it will be worked-out, just a question of time. I found out that CWCOM Morse Code Communicator is great for typing with both straight and iambic, both online and offline, though I am not ready for going online yet. It took me some time to understand how to connect my iambic keyer slowly reading into the author's blog. Given enough time, I eventually come down to understanding how things work. Bit-by-bit, although I sometimes become frustrated and end-up "byting".

cb Chris - Also thank you. I now have become aware of the difference between keyer, paddles and so on. You always learn something along the way.

Thanks to all. I will no doubt come back to you if I need your assistance again. Nice to have met you.

Posted: 2023-01-17 17:11
Hi,

The headphone output of the radio is connected to the PC via line-in of the PC with a standard 3,5mm audio cable. That is all.

FLDIGI uses the sound chip or sound card of your computer.

73 Rüdiger DD5RK

Posted: 2023-01-17 23:44
DD5RK:
Hi,

The headphone output of the radio is connected to the PC via line-in of the PC with a standard 3,5mm audio cable. That is all.

FLDIGI uses the sound chip or sound card of your computer.

73 Rüdiger DD5RK

Is that all? I have been cracking my head for a long time whether to buy interface gadgets or not or this one or that one with a feeling I was going to spend money on things that, in the end, never work... You mean to say normal audio cable with two male connectors on each end plugged into XIEGU headphone output and into the headphone output on the PC? That simple?

Posted: 2023-01-18 01:20

headphone output of the xiegu and audio cable to Line In of the computer.

Radio headfone output to computer line in (Audio) input.

So the audio chip or audio card of your computer receives the audio signals of the XIEGU.

fldigi filters and decodes the Morse audio signals to characters.

And yes, the cable is an ordinary shielded 3,5mm plug audio stereo cable, as you use it with a Walkman or other audio devices,
with the male stereo plug 3,5mm on each side.

I also use 3,5 mm shielded audio cables for the keys.

73 Rüdiger DD5RK

Posted: 2023-01-20 16:03
I bought the usb adapter from vband - it works on android, iphone, linux, windows, osx with straight key or paddles. It would be awesome to update the tx practice to work the same way. https://hamradio.solutions/vband/ Very cool site and resources!

Posted: 2023-01-20 23:34
DD5RK:
headphone output of the xiegu and audio cable to Line In of the computer.

Radio headfone output to computer line in (Audio) input.

So the audio chip or audio card of your computer receives the audio signals of the XIEGU.

fldigi filters and decodes the Morse audio signals to characters.

And yes, the cable is an ordinary shielded 3,5mm plug audio stereo cable, as you use it with a Walkman or other audio devices,
with the male stereo plug 3,5mm on each side.

I also use 3,5 mm shielded audio cables for the keys.

73 Rüdiger DD5RK

Well, outstanding. Who would say so. I will be trying it out over the weekend and come back to you to confirm it works. Thanks so much Ruediger. CUAGN 73

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.