Polski Português
Română Русский
සිංහල Slovenščina
Srpski Svenska
ภาษาไทย Türkçe
Українська 简体中文

Who is online? (22)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: What's wrong with the system?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2010-01-25 15:01
The system is very slow lately, and I can't practice at all. Is there something wrong with the system or is it my problem?
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-25 15:14
Takeshi (JG1GPY),

I think it is on your end as I am using an older IBM laptop and it is fine here at my qth. Sometimes the FLASH players hickups but that's no big deal. Maybe you need to download a new FLASH player.

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-01-26 02:56
the hickups really anoys me. I'll try to down load the latest FLASH player. I appreciate your suggestion, Craig. Thanks.

Posted: 2010-01-26 09:08
No problems here in the states. Or at least Alaska.

Posted: 2010-01-26 13:29
Installation of the latest FLASH player has improved the situation dramatically. Many thanks to those who helped me. I hope to see you on the air in the furture. 73.
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-26 17:42
Takeshi(JG1GPY),

My FLASH hickups often and what is frustrating is getting to the point of copying the 19th call sign and breaking a new personal best record and have an ERROR FLASH Player message pop up that makes windows reboot and sign you out.

Now that's frustrating. Take care and keep working hard at your cw. I just hit a NEW personal best this morning that moved me from #244 to #216 at 41wpm. That was a big jump.

I'm going to a Japanese cuisine place tonight and treating myself to a sushi dinner for putting up a new score this morning.

Craig, AH8DX & 8R1EA
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-27 00:30
Congrats!
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-27 03:51
Digibeet,

Thankyou!

I can't figure it out though. I got maybe 5 hours of sleep last night as I drove and pulled over to get some sleep. I put on my headphones while I drove and listened to cw while I drove at 43wpm for probably 1/2 an hour.

I arrived at my destination an hour later and loaded up my truck that took 45 minutes and I really did some physical work. I sat down at the company's computer and did not use headphones, just the speakers from the computer. I have been doing it this way more lately.

I noticed that I was getting everything right even S, H and 5 though I really haven't had the time to practice those. After not making a mistake for 10 call signs, I started to not look at the screen to see if I was right or wrong because I was in a zone. It was starting to sound like music as I was getting close to 41wpm. I finally looked up at the call signs and saw that I was about to copy 42wpm. I wasn't successful at 42 wpm but the session ended and that CONGRATS message came on the screen. I then saw that I obliterated my previous score by a ways.

Why?

Craig, AH8DX

Posted: 2010-01-27 10:37
Craig,

I have one question for you. Do you "understand" call signs when typing what you receive? I have difficulty in recognizing what I receive by typing;I mean I have to look at what I typed later to recognize meanings of the sequence. I'm trying to memorize words without typing now, but it is quite difficult for me.

Ps: How was the Japanese cusine? I miss Kiku restaurant in Pittsburgh, where I used to live long time ago.

Takeshi
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-27 17:02
Takeshi,

Well, I decided to get a sandwich instead because I ran out of time yesterday so I will have to try to make it to Sushiland this weekend.
BTW, my wife is half Japanese. Her mom was from Osaka. My two kids are 1/4 Japanese.

Takeshi, in rsponse to your question. I am a contester and am very familiar with almost all call sign prefixes around the world. I also am familiar with other contesters callsigns so for example if I copy V47KZ, before I hit enter, I look at it and almost am 100% positive that it is V47KP since I have worked him in pileups a thousand times.

BTW, since I am on the west coast, I can get almost 100% of all Japanese callsigns correct even at 45wpm or so because during the past three or solar cycles that's all I worked on 15 mtrs. One exception is your Japanese calls that start ith a 7 and 8, it slows me down just a little.

If you are interested in copying callsigns and increasing your speed at the same time, get on during contests and work cw.

This suggestion is huge. YOU NEED TO LEARN TO COPY IN YOUR HEAD, plain and simple. Just start with 1x2 US calls. For example K1MM. Even if you are copying behind and trying to hit the right key on the keyboard before you enter in your mind you will replay what you just heard.

K1MM: -.- .---- -- -- oh yes that is K1MM.

Sometimes, when you do this you will remember the K1M part but can't remember if that last letter was M or T because your brain was copying behind.

But trust your brain and do not guess. I have gotten to the point now at 40+wpm that some mornings when I am fresh (keep in mind I do not know how to type), the calls come at me so fast and I trust my ears, brain and fingers that what I type is right and it almost always is. "CONFIDENCE" Don't question yourself. Takeshi you can do it and you will get faster by the day as long as you PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE even more even if you are tired. Don't worry about your score.

Nobody's looking at your score anyway (Well just 10,000 cw operators that are on this site, Hi).

Good luck.

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-27 17:10
Takeshi,

My response is above.

One thing, I am sure you know already but the example I gave you of K1MM. You should be saying in your head to yourself after the call was just sent to you:

dah dit dah
dit dah dah dah dah
dah dah
dah dah

and get in a rhythm when saying it.
Great cw is like music to my ears and the better the music sounds the faster I can copy.

Gud Dx,

Craig, AH8DX
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-27 18:16
Yes,
Thats clear.
To Takeshi: there is a japanese website 'cw freak', you can exercise call signs there: http://www.ji0vwl.com/cw_freak_e.html

And of course there is www.rufzxp.net where you will find all the big performers of the world except Craig and you.
The counting is much more sophisticated on rufzxp.
I can advise it. And Takeshi: you CAN repeat a call sign (with F6) BUT then there is a penalty of 50% on the points gained with that call. That make the claims more honest.

Taking long plain text words by ear happens in my case as if it is just spelled. I hear instantly the letters translated in plain text letters. It looks like an identity.

Not so however with calls. In that case I hear the prefix, and type it in fast when familiar, when making an typing error, too late I miss the suffix of the call. In the mean time I try to remember the suffix, a lot of extra noise is /QRP, and I repeat to myself, just as Craig said, the MORSE sound in my mind and translate it letter by letter when typing it in.
That is quite another mechanism, as you can notice.

Afterall I am in the range of nearly 200 cpm, hence, may be thats my ceiling, due to the wrong exercising method, you never know.

Posted: 2010-01-28 13:49
Craig,Digibeet: Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions and sharing your experiences.

Digibeet says:
Taking long plain text words by ear happens in my case as if it is just spelled. I hear instantly the letters translated in plain text letters. It looks like an identity.

Wow, this is exactly what I want, but it seems I still have a long way to go.

For me, as Craig suggested, having confidence may be the most important mentality I need, and practice, practice, and practice is the only way to achieve this goal.

By the way, when I started studying English language, I had to concentrate each spoken word to follow, therefore fast speed conversation was not possible. But now, I am listening to CNN pod cast everyday with no major difficulty. As amatter of fact, I am not really concentrating each word whenI am listening to the news.-- This may be the close feeling of what Craig mentioned.

The interesting conversation with the CW experts makes CW more interesting for me. Thank you very much or "O-kini" in Japanese with Osaka accsent.

Takeshi
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-28 18:13
@JG1GPY
You overestimate my performance, I described the way worddetecting works differently from callsign detection in my experience.
Reality is that when detecting plain text words at 40 wpm I miss about half of them, a few with minor differences in spelling. The rest of the red printed words wrong.
Now I thought let I just repeat those words, the program gives the opportunity to do that. And amazing it did hardly help, I think combinations of some characters in a sequence are easier to copy than the combinations in the missed words.

What are your experiences in words? You touched also 45 of higher in your records. I suppose that when your speed is much higher than your score, when you started with word training, that you used the method of fixed speed or initial speed too high.

when you complained about the performance of the site, you had a sharp fall in score, not in speed, and you did not come back on your previous average performance, what happened? Still a bad MP3-player performance?

Posted: 2010-01-29 15:40
Digibeet:
I no longer have any technical difficulties after renewing FLASH.
What I do right now is to limit number of characters per word,trying to memorize whole word without instant typing. It seems the scores are heavily depending on word length; that is the reason why I am getting the low scores. I am trying to visualize receiving characters and spelling them out in mind as you are doing.
Just another mental experimet for me. It's fun.

Takeshi
[deleted]

Posted: 2010-01-29 18:38
JG1GPY
Thanks Takeshi, for your reply.
That's right, the score you obtain is the length of the word times the speed of the word.

Once I exerciced with ham notations like tx tx om qru hpe cuagn 73 qsl pwr etc. I could put the (fixed) speed above 50 because these are so recognisable as sound. BUT the score was really low.

Another event I was plain exercising words fixed speed, missing only a few words and I could calculate that, even when I should have copied those words OK I had a significant lower score than my top score. That is because you don't have influence on the length of the words below your specified maximum length. That is the second reason of noise on your scores. The first reason of course your daily condition.

The same with call signs.

cu es 73

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.

$Id: forum.php 62 2015-01-12 17:34:44Z fabian $