Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (46)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: should i be using short hand at 20 wpm

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2022-10-08 15:54
Hi there great site ..

So ive just joined to ask , ive spent the last week using the G4FON kosh program at 20 WPM , should i been using short hand ?

thanks in advance

Posted: 2022-10-09 03:00
I think we all choose what works best for us.

I print upper case block letter. I use a gel pen and can get close to 30 although its a struggle.

I certainly have found that printing small (and neat) and the gel pen, is much better than when I thought I was doing well keeping up at 15 and not writing small. Certainly a pencil a pen that does not flow smoothly was a determent for me.

If you google Chuck Adams (he is well up in the clouds with speed - many many times ur 20) he uses lower case script. And he says he writes everything!

Others turn to keying, but that has a number of draw backs - I guess it also has plusses too.

Of course the goal is to transition from ICR to IWR and therefore head copy most. (I admit thats easy to say, but have not done it well as yet.)

Just rambling, but my guess is you will not get a 100% definitive answer.

Good Luck
wa2nfn

Posted: 2022-10-09 21:32
Use long hand, small characters, I use a Parker fountain pen, (the same kind King Charles of the United Kingdom cursed about it leaking on his fingers) Write:"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog's back 1234567890" or some other pangram. Watch the time you need and you know your writing speed in wpm. (Calculate it as published by BrushupCW earlier in this forum, cb may dig it up) That will possibly be a lot higher than your procedure : listen, decode, write, listen decode write, which may give you the impression that you can't write fast enough.

Above that US military teached (tought?)to write capitals defined stroke by stroke, complete with direction of the pen. Fine to exclude every ambiguity, but practically obviously limited to 17 wpm.

It is proven that with small characters handwriting is possible readable above 40 wpm plain text.

Conclusion: in the range of an information stream with a speed of 75 wpm, shorthand, (often personally designed) is only of value during high speed championships with allowed time to translate the shorthand in normal readable writing.

Posted: 2022-10-10 13:10
nonagenarian:
Calculate it as published by BrushupCW earlier in this forum, cb may dig it up

https://lcwo.net/forum/1836

Is shorthand any good for single vowels ?

cb

Posted: 2022-10-10 21:55
I think so, writing a punctuation dot is faster than handwriting a character e. The o can be an o I suppose so.

I have never exercised short hand, look for Gregg on you tube, Present day computers write what you say, as I understand, when my great greatgrandson drives me to the MD, he using his voice operated navigator.

I exercise Morse code listening on ear by head copy, typing afterwards what I heard for checking. Hope to prevent dementia and compulsory leaving my home.

Posted: 2022-10-11 11:03
nonagenarian:
I think so, writing a punctuation dot is faster than handwriting a character e. The o can be an o I suppose so.

I have never exercised short hand, look for Gregg on you tube, Present day computers write what you say, as I understand, when my great greatgrandson drives me to the MD, he using his voice operated navigator.

I exercise Morse code listening on ear by head copy, typing afterwards what I heard for checking. Hope to prevent dementia and compulsory leaving my home.

You will have to know short-hand already - same as touch typing - if you know it there is no reason not to use it

I understand being grumpy helps stave off decline (maybe that's just in the UK), but I guess some exercise and eat your greens is necessary also

Posted: 2022-10-14 16:16
I am surpised nobody mentioned that, at 20 wpm, you should be able to copy behind (or maybe 25 wpm? I'm not there yet). So, regardless of how you write the letters down, you should be able to reconstruct them in your head. 20wpm would be quite a slow speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UluRsizMjn8&ab_channel=courtreportingtutor

Even I can write this down without shorthand.

Posted: 2022-10-14 16:58
The OP is on lesson one though.

He is getting used to code and just starting learning the characters.

cb

Posted: 2022-10-15 11:46
Err, no.

> i've spent the last week using the G4FON kosh program at 20 WPM

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.