Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (18)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: What Duration are you set to?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2022-06-20 15:29
I have my duration set to 1 min, but now that I am on lesson 12/40 I feel like I need more time because the pool of letters is getting larger. What is your strategy?

Posted: 2022-06-21 00:04
Keep doing 1 minute exercises

Posted: 2022-06-21 10:52
Do (even) more one minute "lessons" then . . .

. . . with a minute and a half gap between each during which you are doing absolutely nothing . . .

How long per day are you spending exercising ?

Whilst learning - probably better to avoid any sort of fatigue but beware of moving on to the next "lesson" too quickly - make sure you are getting a few 90%s because forthe characters, newer is fewer and it all really needs to sink in properly . .
so
if you do 10 x 1 min exercises, you may be better treating it as one 10 min exercise as regards your 90% move on

You are ( probably ) aiming to decode in your head automatically, rather than having to think about it - and this comes by ( lots of ) decoding repetition not getting 90% by luck or using short term memory

YMMV

cb

Posted: 2022-06-21 11:47
This entire LCWO learning system, as the creator has structured it, has worked for THOUSANDS of people. I am not going to change his learning structure, even thought Fabian has given the users that flexibility.

Posted: 2022-06-21 20:03
> ...has worked for THOUSANDS of people

'has been used by thousands of people' is possibly more correct :)

I'm not knocking this great resource (and it is truly great), but in truth we don't really know how many people have succeeded by using the exact method outlined on this site.

Having used this site for the majority of my learning of morse, I'd say that the built-in degree of flexibility in approach has helped me - e.g. the ability to vary the length of lessons, do more focussed learning using the 'code groups', do different forms of exercise (eg. the word training) etc

Posted: 2022-06-21 22:09
I have been using smaller "pools" along with doing the normal xx/40 sessions.
Like doing custom settings of QWFYC and then run CodeMachine on those.
And I do CodeMachine at speed 18

Posted: 2022-06-22 04:08
GROUPS are nice, but WORD TRAINING is funner. CODE GROUPS stress me out, lol. But since there are no numbers in the WORD TRAINING, I supplement with a little CALL SIGN TRAINING.

Posted: 2022-06-22 16:10
I started out with a duration of 1 minute (of course, since it's the default). Somewhere around lesson 10 I changed to a duration of 3 minutes because it gave me the chance to "get into the flow" and keep going for a while. The 1 minute lessons were always over too quick for my taste.

I'm not saying that this is good for everyone, but it worked for me. Just try different things and see what feels better for you. If it's worse, you can always switch back.

Posted: 2022-06-27 04:21
It took a while, but I finally passed the 12/40 lesson. I am doing an effective speed of 20WPM to make sure I can get instant recognition. It just takes a lot of time. I was doing 2-3min sessions then occasionally doing a 1 min session that I would test on.

Posted: 2022-07-02 14:53
KI4ESK:
GROUPS are nice, but WORD TRAINING is funner. CODE GROUPS stress me out, lol. But since there are no numbers in the WORD TRAINING, I supplement with a little CALL SIGN TRAINING.

Not only funner ...but gooder too. According to my calculations, the lessons have worked for many thousands of learners. Thanks to people like Kevin (W1KDG) who keep watch over the question list here.
As long as there is a good ratio between the number of persons learning and asking questions, and the number of persons answering questions, the cite will continue with its unique status among code-learning groups. When the beings from other worlds begin visiting, I am sure that they will choose LCWO.net with its Peace Symbol and all for their very own code group.
(Gee....I hope this was all Politically Correct and all. Is it okay to use "I" as my preferred pronoun? If anyone is offended, please do not blame be angry with me or hurt my feelers. Life is tough enough as it is clutching my security blanket.)

WORD TRAINING is funner. CODE GROUPS stress me out, lol. But since there are no numbers in the WORD TRAINING, I supplement with a little CALL SIGN TRAINING.[/quote]

G7UUT:

I'm not knocking this great resource (and it is truly great), but in truth we don't really know how many people have succeeded by using the exact method outlined on this site.

Having used this site for the majority of my learning of morse, I'd say that the built-in degree of flexibility in approach has helped me - e.g. the ability to vary the length of lessons, do more focussed learning using the 'code groups', do different forms of exercise (eg. the word training) etc

G7UUT:

Did I mention Greg? Greg helps too. Greg is a rock star.
This one time, when I was on safari, hunting the galoompus...hmmm. Better save that story for another time.
----------------
By the way, I was copying at 22/8 but then realized my characters were all spaced like:
a b c d e 1 2 3 4 .... and that meant I added extra time in the code I was listening too.
Now I have spaced the characters abcdefg12345...etc. and because of that, I went down to a sending speed of 22/5 and I am doing okay with that.
Let's see what the "advice-givers" offer about that. There is always someone coming along trying to put sweaters on the birds and fix everything, but there is even humor in that I suppose. Nothing is so amusing as a body-politic.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.