Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (32)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: PROBABLY REAL DUMB QUESTION

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2022-03-15 18:44
I HAVE BEEN DOING CODE FOR A LONG TIME. I HAVE ALWAYS SENT MY QTH AS CITY AND STATE. NOW MOST OPERATORS SEND THIS "NR AND A NUMBER". HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHERE THESE NUMBERS ARE. THEY DO NOT SEEM TO BE A ZIP CODE? IS THERE A CHART SOMEWHERE THAT I CAN DOWNLOAD, OR IS IT A SECRET.
Administrator

Posted: 2022-03-15 19:58
Hi Bob,

maybe what you're hearing are the CWops CWT Mini contests? They take place every week on Wednesdays at 13z, 19z and then on Thursday morning 3z and 7z.

The exchange is "name + CWops member number", or if you're not a member simply "name + state/country".

See https://cwops.org/cwops-tests/

They're fun events, I try to take part in at least one of them each week.

Fabian, DJ5CW

Posted: 2022-03-16 16:13
Maybe a locator like mine here: jo62qo?
But if you've been doing this for a long time, you probably already know it. anyway, here is a link:

https://dxcluster.ha8tks.hu/hamgeocoding/

Posted: 2022-03-16 20:29
Thank a lot guys, maybe it is a contest, or something and I just didn't realize it. Definitely never starts with a letter though piepshow. For example: 599 Nr 36523. I'll try to listen closer to see if it is a contest or a skcc nunber. Could be an SKCC like mine would be NR 18716, and they just leave off the skcc. TNx again..Bob

Posted: 2022-03-17 13:08
Ah. OK. Yes, probably a contest. I don't listen to ham radio that much, but I've heard it before. At first I thought it was a counter but he always gave the same three-digit number. and from some other stations he got exactly the same back. strange thing. :)

Posted: 2022-04-05 16:36
Well, how did you solve the problem?

Posted: 2022-05-15 01:18
Yes, it is a real dumb question :) If you'll take some timeto listen that station, you'll find NR incrementing by one each next QSO. Yes, it definitely a contest. And, btw, you may hear a very fast "cq test" instead of long classic cqcqcqdepsek :)

Posted: 2022-08-09 19:53
DUMB QUESTIONS, IS HOW YOU LEAN SOMETHING FROM OTHERS THAT SEEMS OBVIOUS TO THEM. NONE OF US KNOW EVERYTHING. DEFINITLY NOT A COUNTER. SAME NUMBER FOR THAT STATION ALL THE TIME. SKCC # FOR SURE..THANKS ALL

Posted: 2022-08-14 19:36
SOMISS - Bob

Posted: 2022-08-27 18:54
Speaking of QTH, I was wondering if there is a standard Morse Code way of writing latitude and longitude. The old-time standard way is (DMS): 50°40'46.461''N 95°48'26.533''W, but there are a tremendous number of ways it is seen. I believe I saw an old telegram where it was written as: DD MM SSN DD MM SSW (no symbols). I notice Google is now using Decimal Degrees (DD: DD.DDDD, -DD.DDDD) latitude and longitude with a minus sign (hyphen/dash) for southern latitude or western longitudes which I think is much easier on the eyes. I have heard that the Coast Guard prefers degrees and decimal minutes (DDM: DD°MM.MM'N DD°MM.MM'W) which is also more comprehensible. I see that the ITU specifies using the apostrophe for minutes of angle and a double apostrophe for seconds of angle, but there is no symbol for degrees, which seems to suggest writing: DD MM'SS''N DD MM'SS''W or DD MM.MM'N DD MM.MM'W. So, is there a current preferred convention for writing latitude and longitude in sending morse code or does everyone just use their favorite as is done in common text?

Posted: 2022-08-30 01:47
In amateur radio the Maiden head locator system is used.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.