Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (18)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: What does 'dd' mean?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2022-01-26 16:38
I was practicing with the word trainer set to 'CW abbreviations', and it sent 'dd'. I'm not sure what it means, and it doesn't show up in any of the cw abbreviation dictionaries I've found online. I've seen this asked before in other places, but no one seems to know.

Could anyone enlighten me?

Posted: 2022-01-27 09:56
"dd" is a Unix command. Maybe it has slipped into CW abbreviations by mistake? I've checked on the w8irc bot and it did not give me any results.
Administrator

Posted: 2022-01-27 10:13
Edvin,

good question, I couldn't find any reference to it on various lists I found on the net and on my bookshelf. It's certainly not a commonly used abbreviation, so I removed it.

Fabian

Posted: 2022-01-27 10:20
DDD used to mean "stop transmitting immediately" ( or "shut up" as it was described at the titanic enquiry)

It was used up to the end of commercial morse to relay an SOS message as :- DDD SOS

Posted: 2022-01-27 12:00
Thanks for the replies! It could of course be a mistake, (like the good ol' disk destroyer as oc suggests) but I'm not yet 100% convinced. It's part of the following question at the ham stackexchange site:
https://ham.stackexchange.com/questions/7831/whats-this-maybe-morse-code-cq-cq-ge-eden-and-dd-in-le-eden-de-la-grisaia

It's about a message that appears as being sent from a ship in the outro of a Japanese video game. There are some other stuff sent earlier in outro which makes some sense ("cq cq ge eden", where 'eden' refers to the game(?)) so it seems whoever produced it at least used some reference. It could be wabun for "hoho", and even though I don't know what that means it could be something used by JA hams which has found its way into the list, similar to the Russian 'dsw'. As it appears right in the end, it could of course be a 'ddd' that's been cut off, but then again maybe not.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.