Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (14)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Block at 11 wpm, How to progress

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-12-20 20:27
Hi all,

Worked my way through all lessons and now working on gaining speed. Up to recently I was making little steps, but the last few weeks I seem to have hit a wall or something!

Character speed is 13 wpm from the beginning. In two months I increased the effective speed from 7 to 11 wpm in and there the progress stops ..

Any advice how to progress? Off course more practice (and being patient) but working on character speed or effective speed?

Hope to hear your thoughts,

Regards, Mark (PA3HTZ)

Posted: 2021-12-21 00:49
Mark,

Verlaag de karakterspeed naar 10 en oefen met 10/10

Als je met les 40 90% goed hebt ga dan naar 11/11 etc.

Posted: 2021-12-22 06:03
First let me say that I'm no expert. I am a fellow student making progress thanks to this wonderful site. My opinion is that 13 character speed is too slow. I think you should concentrate your character speed to 20 or 25 so that you only hear the sound not the dits and dahs. I set my speed down to 13 just to try before I wrote this to be sure. At 13 you can hear every dit and dah and can get prone to counting which is an impediment to speed. I would rather have a slower WPM speed than a low character speed. Once the characters come into your head upon hearing the sound speed increases are around the next corner. Hope this helps some. 73's

Posted: 2021-12-22 22:57
Thanks HH and Stephen, changed settings and tried both advices today..

Going back to 10/10 felt strange :-) but was workeable. Speeding up only the character speed was not so much of a problem (above 20 I was lost).

Till now I am confident with making small steps. Guess this one will take some more time.

73's Mark

Posted: 2021-12-23 00:09
20/10 is om te leren, ben je bij les 40 ga dan naar gelijke 10/10 dat is morse code, 20/10 is vervormde code, een ramp om naar te luisteren. 20/20 gaat je niet lukken op korte termijn. Dus 10/10. dan 11/11 enzovoort. Dan kun je op de band cw verbindingen gaan maken.

Posted: 2021-12-23 00:48
KK7ASP:
First let me say that I'm no expert. I am a fellow student making progress thanks to this wonderful site. My opinion is that 13 character speed is too slow. I think you should concentrate your character speed to 20 or 25 so that you only hear the sound not the dits and dahs. I set my speed down to 13 just to try before I wrote this to be sure. At 13 you can hear every dit and dah and can get prone to counting which is an impediment to speed. I would rather have a slower WPM speed than a low character speed. Once the characters come into your head upon hearing the sound speed increases are around the next corner. Hope this helps some. 73's

Hi Stephen

The keep-you-char-speed above 10 and preferably 15cpm is very relevant for learning the chars.

Note lots of people who hit this forum can't manage anywhere near 20 wpm during this process . . .
( others of course report getting to 25cpm / 25wpm in a couple of weeks - aptitude being the main factor , as the military selectors knew . .)

nonag's advice is particular to people who completed 40 lessons in their own way, speeding themselves up whilst converging to having the cpm and wpm both the same speed.

FYI it originates from brushup's post https://lcwo.net/forum/1521 from 2017

Personally I would just listen to lots of morse and get on the bands ASAP, because I don't like doing lessons, especially over again, but everyone has to choose for themselves . . .

NB
This can be a bit of a contentious issue, because quality of morse on the bands varies.

20wpm is not uncommon for a normal QSO with limited information passing across and I'm not so bothered about longer space timings provided the chars are OK and not run together.

This is not commercial morse - it's a hobby - which used to be for the "purposes of self training in radio telegraphy"
and
I'm not so keen on the lesser skilled/experienced being put off ( the bands) by the purists who can anyway QSY if they don't want to help a learner.

That being said I think everyone should learn morse for when all the computers stop working, and that means there will be all sorts of standards of performance about . . .

YMMV

cb

Posted: 2021-12-24 01:52
Most hams are willingful to help by lowering their comfort speed to help beginners, but using not x/x but (x+n)/x with n>>0Mis really not morse code, and one reaspn for the precense of hams on cw bands, is to conserve the intangible heritage
of Morse code.

When you ask for QRS you will get a lower x/x not 20/x.

May be frome some elbug users to lazy to turn their speed knob. their

Posted: 2021-12-25 03:20
There may be a need to distinguish between an issue of "urgency" and a "hobby" activity. I qualify as a "hobbyist" myself. I am not getting paid to learn this, and I am not seeking someone's "certification" or approval.

With some matter of urgency, there may be some authority which certifies or controls what people do. The other circumstance is when a person commits to something for the enjoyment of it or the sheer benefits and satisfaction for the practitioner.
It is odd perhaps that the study of something is combined with commands. The simple fact is that many people will engage in the study of something for the enjoyment of it, and it would be difficult for any person to exercise authority in the matter.
Everyone should have the option to study Morse in my opinion. Moreover, it is a certainty that most people gain by encouragements rather than commandments. I know I am no expert and cannot command anyone, and but I do gain immense enjoyment from progress. I have got to the point where I take pleasure in encouraging others to keep studying and sharing what I have learned.

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.