Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (19)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: How many minutes before moving on

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-12-02 04:24
I know we should aim to achieve 90%, however does that mean 90% in a one minute exercise, or longer? Thanks any help is appreciated.

Posted: 2021-12-02 06:59
1 minute is plenty of time for a beginner, more will tire and frustrate you. I've had few QSOs with my poor Morse skills and never had to concentrate for longer than 1min. You will gain ability to concentrate for longer with time.

Posted: 2021-12-02 10:23
kc3npy:
I know we should aim to achieve 90%, however does that mean 90% in a one minute exercise, or longer? Thanks any help is appreciated.

Why have you stated the same thread twice with different titles ?

You forgot ?

Posted: 2021-12-02 10:32
OH1BOR:
1 minute is plenty of time for a beginner, more will tire and frustrate you. I've had few QSOs with my poor Morse skills and never had to concentrate for longer than 1min. You will gain ability to concentrate for longer with time.

One minute might well be the maximum time he can stand on lesson two . . .
and
one min might well be all he needs for his QSO

but

that doesn't mean a single 90% on a 1 min lesson necessarily means he should be moving forwards
( because it has now sunk in fully and properly and he won't EVER have any more trouble with all those preceding characters )
which
was his question ( asked twice )

else we won't have those people reporting their progress stalled on lesson 10, despite wizzing forwards for the past 5 days.

Morse takes ( almost everyone ) a deal of time and effort.
The only person you can cheat is yourself.
It needs to become pretty much an automatic reaction;
hear code -> character-pops-into-your-head-from-somewhere-with-NO-effort-(anymore)

YMMV - some people learn 25/25 in 3 weeks - we can't tell who they will be

cb

Posted: 2021-12-02 17:55
And as stated in the past. 1 minute is not a long time, especially of you are learning and your speed is slow. Code group characters are random, thus in a one minute lesson you COULD have very few of the LAST learned characters (I even seen ZERO a few times), so the 90% so often quoted is very misleading. If your teacher gave you 20 words to learn to spell, and asks for 10 on the quiz and you get a 100% - it still says nothing about the other 10! Koch should have stated when you get 90% correct of the LAST character studied, then you can move on (no body has software that does this that I know of). Use the levenschtein data and seen that you are doing well on the lastest cahr in addition to the 90%).

wa2nfn
Just my opinion.

Posted: 2021-12-02 18:16
The way I do it is I move forward when I can consistently get 90% on several 1 minute exercises. I do not think even achieving the 90% consistently equals mastery as when more letters, numbers, symbols are added the certainty you had with your previous levels dissipates to a degree. I think you don't really know where you stand until you have all of the characters under your belt and can then pass 90% consistently. Then you know you're getting somewhere.

Posted: 2021-12-02 20:04
cb:

Why have you stated the same thread twice with different titles ?

You forgot ?

New to the site, I thought my first post didn't go through, either way great info here. Thank you guys!

Posted: 2021-12-02 20:33
kc3npy:
New to the site, I thought my first post didn't go through, either way great info here. Thank you guys!

Ah - There is some "moderation" in progress . . .

Posted: 2021-12-03 03:33
I sent an enhancement suggestion to our esteemed host that could help with this vague area, maybe he will at least see the frustration that many users have had and provide some help. But I think in most cases patience is the main thing needed.

Bill

Posted: 2021-12-03 19:37
Well, I started at 1 minute and I 'moved up' to 2 minutes as I went along and my powers of concentration increased.

By now (I've been at this 'learning morse' thing for a little while) I've got a fairly good handle on judging my own ability. I tend to stay on the same lesson until I'm getting 90% (or pretty close) on a fairly regular basis.

Over the couse of the lessons I've noticd that if I moved on 'too quickly' I've then taken longer on/more attempts at the next lesson. So I think it all evens out in the end.

Posted: 2021-12-03 20:44
G7UUT:
Well, I started at 1 minute and I 'moved up' to 2 minutes as I went along and my powers of concentration increased.

By now (I've been at this 'learning morse' thing for a little while) I've got a fairly good handle on judging my own ability. I tend to stay on the same lesson until I'm getting 90% (or pretty close) on a fairly regular basis.

Over the couse of the lessons I've noticd that if I moved on 'too quickly' I've then taken longer on/more attempts at the next lesson. So I think it all evens out in the end.

The thing is that if you can do well just relying on short term memory
you can wizz throught the first few lessons.

But then your short term memory, which is a bit more plastic than long term memory
starts to get mixed up a bit and triggers at the wrong time
which causes even more disruption as you relearn things all wrong.

About lesson 10 ( YMMV etc, but that seems to be commonly reported lesson number ) chaos ensues in the STM
and
you "hit a wall" because you just unlearned a lot of stuff you thought had sunk in properly . . .

This means you have to start again - this time making sure it does sink in correctly,
if you don't get fed up and give up that is . . .

If possible try to build an automatic "unconscious" reaction:-

hear code -> chars appear in your mind as if from no-where.

You can't easily tell what you have done until ye wall appears and stops the job . . . or not

Too slow = waste a bit of time.

Too fast can = give up.

Did I say YMMV etc?

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.