Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (37)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: How long to listen to each character?

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-11-10 19:08
How long do you need to listen to a character before you could expect to remember it?, should this be over a period of days etc?

Posted: 2021-11-14 00:28
10 second

Posted: 2021-11-14 09:38
Hello Ken,

a good rule of thumb is to learn 2 characters a week in the beginning. Quite effortless, but if yiu stick to it you have learned the alphabet in about 4 months.

BR

Gerd.

Posted: 2021-11-14 15:36
I found this a useful article. It does talk about the need of "overlearning". Progressing fast feels good and fun, but could make it harder at a later stage. I think I used 3 months on the lessons here, but it is VERY individual.

https://cwops.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Instant-Recognition-Nancy-Kott.pdf

Posted: 2021-11-21 07:46
Ken, when I was learning the characters at the very beginning, I would pick up something like a brochure, book, magazine, or newspaper. I would sit and tap out the dits and dahs for all the letters and numbers that I knew. The characters that I was learning and adding to my knowledge base, were added to the sequence playing on the software or website that I used.
df9ts - Gerd, suggests about 2 characters a week, and that is exactly about the rate that I could acquire new letters and numbers. I made sure that every letter and number that I learned was added to my daily practice list.
For the most part, everything that I learned was random text. I never used whole words very much. All of the letters and numbers were jumbled up so that my mind was not "decoding" in advance and figuring out what was coming next. A "word" or sequence in the lessons I was copying from looked more or less like this:

a5qn7j0f puy8dr/ zgt4xoh
When I practiced, I abandoned the habit of sequencing from single dit or single dah characters or double dit or double dah characters and then moving to 3 ditdah. etc., and then 4 dit-dah characters. I moved quickly from dit-dah to dit-dit-dah-dah-dah, so that I was putting the more complex characters in the lesson at the beginning. The punctuation was also added in a little at a time. The period, equal sign, forward slash, and the dash were all gradually added into the random text sequence

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.