Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (26)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Punctuation - How Well to Know

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-10-31 21:05
The letters and numbers are semi mastered, although I need to speed up. The next set of codes I'm questioning are the equal sign, the slash, the parenthesis, colon and semi colon, etc, etc. If one is interested in obtaining a license how much of that punctuation do you need to know?

Posted: 2021-10-31 23:32
Hi,

() parenthesis are not in the lessons.

; semi colon are not in the lessons.

= you hear often on air, it is BK and it is used paragraph in text, one should learn.

/ is used in call signs as country prefix if you are operation not in your home country, eg. SM/DD5RK, if I would operate in Sweden. It is also used as postfix for /m /p /am eg. DD5RK/p for portable operation. So it is important to learn.

? is important, if you miss something.
one should learn.

. and , is often used in rag chewing.
one should learn.

obtaining a license

in most countries you do not need a Morse exam to get a ham license or to operate on HF Bands. But there are still countries, where you need Morse proficiency.

You find a table for the requirements for the countries in the document:

CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01

https://docdb.cept.org/download/3496

Rüdiger
DD5RK

Posted: 2021-11-01 03:00
= is it is a break in the message or thought;
like starting a new sentence or paragraph in text.

It is NOT BK. BK is NOT a prosign, it is 2 letters like CQ or DE. It should be used to BREAK-IN, or interrupt the other station while they are sending, or to give them control of the conversation.

Correct me if you have a formal source.

Bill

Posted: 2021-11-01 09:56
DD5RK:
Hi,
. . .
= you hear often on air, it is BK and it is used paragraph in text, one should learn.
. . .
Rüdiger
DD5RK

wa2nfn:
= is it is a break in the message or thought;
like starting a new sentence or paragraph in text.

It is NOT BK. BK is NOT a prosign, it is 2 letters like CQ or DE. It should be used to BREAK-IN, or interrupt the other station while they are sending, or to give them control of the conversation.

Correct me if you have a formal source.

Bill

= -...- is (commonly said to be ) BT (various other combinations match eg teeet )

NOTE:- that they are run together not B T
As with S O S whichshould be run together the prosign components become de facto definitive . .

. . . probably Rüdiger did a typo . . .

Formal source:-

Miscellaneous abbreviations and signals to be used for radio communications in the maritime mobile service
Section II. Miscellaneous Abbreviations and Signals ( Page 31 on )

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/m/R-REC-M.1172-0-199510-I!!PDF-E.pdf

Note: When used in radiotelegraphy, a bar over the letters composing a signal denotes
that the letters are to be sent as one signal.

BK Signal used to interrupt a transmission in progress. ( Abbreviation - for Break so should be B K )

BT Signal to mark the separation between different parts of the same transmission. ( Procedure sign, should be a single character, but shorthand is BT with no gap between )

SOS is not included in the above doc.

cb

Posted: 2021-11-01 17:12
Thank you all for the information. I should have stated that I live in the United States.

Posted: 2021-11-01 18:05
hshafe001:
Thank you all for the information. I should have stated that I live in the United States.

We have heard of Maryland ( MD ).

Downton didn't fool us . . .

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.