Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (20)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: Letter Distribution

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-10-16 00:01
Hello! I've made it up to lesson 37 (yay!) and noticed that I've been seeing fewer and fewer of the new character as I go along the lessons. This is a bit of a problem, because the later characters are inherently going to be practiced less than the earlier ones.

I checked the distribution (20 samples at a few points), and found the following:
Lesson 20: New Char 6.4% (5.0% if random)
Lesson 30: New Char 4.3% (3.3% if random)
Lesson 37: New Char 3.5% (2.7% if random)

I'd propose that it would be best if the new character appeared ~10% of the time (though it'd be cool if that was a setting). I checked in the GitHub code, and would suggest the algorithm be changed to the following:

function weightedrand2 ($lesson) {
if ($lesson < = 9) {
return intval(rand(0,$lesson));
}

if (intval(rand(1,10) == 1) {
return $lesson
}else{
return intval(rand(0,$lesson-1))
}
}

Essentially, with a 1/10 chance, return the new letter, otherwise randomly pick among the remaining letters. (The less-than-or-equal-to sign was messing up the post, so I had to add a space)

Posted: 2021-10-16 00:16

Posted: 2021-10-17 00:17
One minute exercises have a problem, that is what you measured.

I think best thing to do is: code exercises with the last learned 10 characters in custom mode, when you are ready for the next lesson.

Posted: 2021-10-17 02:20
Oh yeah, I didn't specify: I measured 2 minutes and 20 samples, so 40 minutes total. On level 37 there were 2 out of 20 that had no occurrences of the new letter.

I think tweaking the algorithm would be better, the current one is inconsistent as you go further into the lessons. For level 37, I got an average of 2.75 occurrences of the new letter, while my suggestion would have around 8. Even at level 20, it's only 5 out of 80 on average.

It's a double-whammy, since you're seeing the later letters less, and also practicing them less in the lesson when you're meant to be focusing on them.

Posted: 2021-10-17 03:24
Weighting the new characters higher seems like a good idea. Taking it further, even, it might be nice to have a probability distribution that favours more recently learned characters. i.e. the newest character would have the highest relative frequency, then the character from lesson N-1, then N-2, quickly reducing until beyond a certain point the older characters appear with roughly equal frequency.
This could be done with a sort of weighted roulette wheel selection (e.g. probability of newest character = 1/(1.01^1), probability of character from 10 lessons ago = 1/(1.01^11)), but they'd have to be normalised or scaled appropriately to avoid having 99% chance of the newest letter. The exact probabilities don't really matter, just that there should be a bit of a boost to the most recently learned characters to counteract the increase in "competition" from well-known ones (sort of like spaced repetition systems in language learning etc).

Posted: 2021-10-26 22:22
Weird.im up to 18. Its throwing in odd d and 1 b
I've gone back yep there is a d -.. twice and later a b -... just throws you but not selected in group at 18 steps. It is happening every yime. Yet not listed above. I know d and b but was not expecting. Must be a software error

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.