Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (18)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: I think I need to restart

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-09-26 18:05
I have been learning at 20 WPM character speed, and 10 WPM word speed. This has been going OK, I am up to 32 characters, but now I run into a wall. I think what I have done is created a 30 character look up table in my head and I’ve gotten pretty good at hearing a character finding it in the look up table and decoding it. Unfortunately this is as far as I can go using this method. Except for a few characters I’m not doing direct code from sound to character, which is what I think I need to do.
So I’m thinking of restarting just a few characters and Upping my word speed to 15 WPM.
Has anyone been through this sort of thing?

Thanks
Rich

Posted: 2021-09-26 20:56
You've been going for 6 years ? How long this time ?

You DO need a "lookup table" in your head . . . .
Hear morse -> char pops into your head automatically - no effort . . .

What do you mean by "Except for a few characters I’m not doing direct code" . . etc ?

Did you move on too fast this time ?? - it didn't sink in enough ?

Sound like that . . .

20/10 is fine. 15/2 is fine if that's what you need to start decoding.
The char speed should be high enough that you don't have to count dits and dahs - but hear each char as one entity . . .

Then repeat repeat repeat decoding until it is an unconscious response.

Some people take two weeks - others take 2 years.

Lots of people have been through this "wall" thing.

Most give up for 2 years or forever.

Is that what happened to you? - else what happened first time around ?

NB. you don't need to tell us - you just need to know yourself . . .

Just make sure it sank in each lesson - "automagic".

Then when you can decode you can speed up ( by repeating )

anyway

good luck

let us know how you get on - your success will cheer us up ( well me anyway )

cb

Posted: 2021-09-27 20:01
By "not direct decoding" I mean counting dotd and dashes, I have gotten quite good at it I am afraid. Yes I did try to learn six years ago, the latest effort has been about 45 days.

Hmm, maybe I'll keep trying at 20/10...

Posted: 2021-09-27 21:02

If you are counting character components rather than hearing one entity,
then
it may be the 20 that needs to increase rather than the 10 ( out of 20/10) .

You could try 25/ or 30/ and check if it sounds like separate dots and dashes.

The gap between can go down to 5 if you need - whilst you are picking up the whole 40.

YMMV as ever

cb

Posted: 2021-09-28 15:39
I appreciate the advice. I am trying again going from 20/10 to 23/10 (25 was too fast) I am also going to try to miss characters rather rather deconstruct the dih/dahs.

Posted: 2021-09-28 17:03

If you mean 25/10 was too fast to keep up - not too fast tell one morse char from another
but
at 20/x you still don't quite hear a single entity
- but instead several separate dits and dahs which you have to put together
then
consider 25/5 until you have all the chars, then speed up.

You probably want to aim for automatic decoding - rather than having to think about it . .

We can't really give advice - only point out where ( some ) others went wrong
and
then gave up, joining the 90% or so of ex hopefulls

We are a kind of talking FAQ/FGA

Let us know how you get on anyway . .

enjoy

cb

Posted: 2021-09-28 21:23
That makes sense, going at 25/5.

Posted: 2021-09-28 23:09
I hit the wall about there at 20/10.

I decided to drop back to 20/8 and I managed to complete the lessons with that. It was very tempting to give up at that point, but dropping back speed was the right thing to do.

I then gradually worked up to 25/8 then I've been working the /8 up too (now working on 25/11). Upping the 20 to 25 makes is less likely you'll be counting dots and dashes.

I found the Morse machine good for taking a break and working on troublesome characters.

Posted: 2021-09-30 16:33
Thanks Craig, I dropped the word speed way down and up the character speed to 25, it is going ok. I am looking forward to having the full character set!

Posted: 2021-10-14 04:02
I am very new to this and am only up to lesson 3. I have it set now to 25/5 which is letting me just recognize the sound but not the individual elements. This worries me because now I'm afraid that while I learn to copy the code will I ever be able to send. However, I'm new and this system seems to be very well thought out so I guess this will come later.

Posted: 2021-10-14 10:30
KK7ASP:
I am very new to this and am only up to lesson 3. I have it set now to 25/5 which is letting me just recognize the sound but not the individual elements. This worries me because now I'm afraid that while I learn to copy the code will I ever be able to send. However, I'm new and this system seems to be very well thought out so I guess this will come later.

Lesson three is a bit early to start worrying.

Also a bit early to decide that this is difficult.

Lesson 1-2-3-4 is a time to decide:-
that this is a very NEW sort of activity, and
the task of learning it needs to be treated seriously - with quite a bit of time and effort to be allocated, and
not to treated as a trivial pass-time ( if you want to succeed )

YMMV but most people seem to find xmit easier to learn because you are in control
and can take your time.

You can write out what you want to send . . . like TV auto-queue

You might find iambic keying takes some extra practice

My advice is: aim to get through the 40 lessons with a char speed at least 20/ . . . then worry about speeding up etc

Try to do enough repeat practice that you hear the code and the char pops into your head without you having to think about it . .

cb

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.