Português Română
Русский සිංහල
Slovenščina Srpski
Svenska ภาษาไทย
Türkçe Українська
简体中文
Who is online? (25)

LCWO Discussion Forum [Atom LCWO Forum Feed]

This is a simple discussion forum for LCWO users. Feel free to use it for any kind of discussion related to this website.

Thread: ITU documents 55 codes

Back to the Forum

AuthorText

Posted: 2021-08-16 14:48
I have often wondered about the other ITU sanctioned codes; the ITU lists 55 codes of which LWCO only practices 41 thru lesson 40. Having completed lesson 40 (at 20/10) and working up on my speed, I have been practicing the remaining 14 additional ITU codes as well. My question is why is there no mention of learning the remaining codes on LCWO. Seems like every operator would need to know them even if they are seldom used.

Posted: 2021-08-17 00:19
I suppose because the set is limited mainly by the previous requirements for obtaining a radio amateur license.

With CW settings you have the opportunity to expand to the full international set, in order to exercise them in custom code groups, however the exclamation mark ! is not assigned and ambiguous.

Furthermore there are a number of local assigned codes in use for specific characters in different languages, like french, german, and so on.

Posted: 2021-08-17 20:50
I wondering, is there any reason for the particular order of letters as they are introduced in the lessons? I was very surprised when = showed up at lesson 16. I am keen to learn the full alphabet but I will probably never use =

Posted: 2021-08-17 21:14
M0MNE:
I wondering, is there any reason for the particular order of letters as they are introduced in the lessons? I was very surprised when = showed up at lesson 16. I am keen to learn the full alphabet but I will probably never use =

There is some logic behind the order - to do with grouping similar shorter characters together to start off with. YMMV

= is not just = it is also the BT prosign so, whilst you don't have to send it, you will nevertheless hear it continually on the air, and to that extent you will have to use it . . .

cb

Posted: 2021-08-18 21:09
Thanks, that makes sense

Back to the Forum

You must be logged in to post a message.